Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

van hire & fees

• 13-03-2011 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

looking for a van hire, however I noticed that most of the companies prefer if you transfer your own insurance. I can't do that with 123.ie (confirmed), so checked other options, like thrifty, and they have this in their T&Cs:
    At the time of rental, there must be sufficient credit on your card to cover all charges including the excess/deductible amount.
    considering their "excess" is e1300 (even when they charge you e50/day for their "superb" insurance) there's no way for me to be able to afford that

what are my other options?? anyone heard of a van rental company with more flexible T&Cs?

or do you know a person with van who'd like to get few quid helping moving the house next week?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Try Enterprise or Hiravan.

I wouldn't even enteratin anybody else.

€75 a day. Add a supplement for changing your insurance over for 48 hours(likely to be around €60 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

as I mentioned I cannot use my insurance to drive a van, my insurer doesn't offer the supplement, that's why I need a company that offers their own insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Go to Enterprise anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

OP if I'm reading your post correctly does this mean that a person that doesn't have insurance but has a licence cant hire a van?

I know I've hired a car (Enterprise) and minibus (Budget) and used their insurance rather refrring back to mine.

sorry for the confusion, what I'm saying is that I've read in T&C's that
    At the time of rental, there must be sufficient credit on your card to cover all charges including the excess/deductible amount.
    which is ~e1300, money that unfortunately I don't have :(

• Advertisement

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    sorry for the confusion, what I'm saying is that I've read in T&C's that

which is ~e1300, money that unfortunately I don't have :(

I wasn't asked for that either, I simply rang the companies, in fact for Enterprise I walked in off the street, asked for the price and wanted them to cover all damage. My credit card was used to pay but there was to be no additional charges in the event of damage to the hired vehicle or 3rd party. Obviously the likes of speeding and parking fines would not be covered.

thanks! may I ask if you had this amount on your cc? the case may be they don't charge it, but only check whether you have the money available

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    thanks! may I ask if you had this amount on your cc? the case may be they don't charge it, but only check whether you have the money available

At the time I doubt it but it should be immaterial if they wasn't going to be any extra charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SkinnyDoll

http://www.vantasks.ie/

Not sure if this can help... I can't recommend Cormac enough.. just moved house as building an extension, so shipped larger furniture to Wexford, the rest to a Dublin location... brilliant service, on time, manpower to help with the lifting, much cheaper than any other quotes I got, will DEF be using him to bring it all back when house is finished!

Advertisement