Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sega Cabs (Model 2)

• 13-03-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Just looking at a cab on adverts http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/last-bronx-arcade-machine/491683 , the guy's only looking for 200 for it, apart from the monitor being on the fritz, surely there's something else wrong for it going for that price?

I've been checking out these types of cabs and I'm wondering if it's because of the monitor resolution? In that they can't easily be converted to Jamma/MAME cabs.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I could be wrong but i think he has that up for 400 originally. He seems to be in a hurry to sell on, seems to be in good condition other than the monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

i'll do some more research into it, a friend is looking for a cheap cab and this seems like a good option but if it's difficult to convert to jamma or mame, as in it's not as simple as just having to buy some kind of converting rig then i'll stay away and leave it to the pros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hygro wrote: »
    i'll do some more research into it, a friend is looking for a cheap cab and this seems like a good option but if it's difficult to convert to jamma or mame, as in it's not as simple as just having to buy some kind of converting rig then i'll stay away and leave it to the pros.

I don't see an issue with converting it to mame, Soft15Khz has switchmodes for 15Khz, 25Khz (this particular screen) & 33Khz. If needs be, fit a new standard jamma harness & pick up a jpac to convert to mame (assuming the monitor is rgb based), if it's vga based then soft15 on its own should do it.

so jamma converting wouldn't be possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Maybe there's a Model 2 > JAMMA adapter out there (I haven't a clue if there is or not), but you're still going to have issues while trying to play games if the monitor is only 25khz.

I wonder is there any chance it's a dual res monitor? Worth a google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

I think that's dear enough for a machine like that. Videotronics sell them for about £150-£200, I think, and the ones they sell would be working. You'll see them sell for less on eBay UK, in slightly varying shapes.

I think that's dear enough for a machine like that. Videotronics sell them for about £150-£200, I think, and the ones they sell would be working. You'll see them sell for less on eBay UK, in slightly varying shapes.

Em, they're kinda heavy...so unless Mo can personally deliver in a van I doubt it'd be cheaper to buy from the UK.

I'm sure there are jamma convertors for Model 2, but unless the screen is dual frequency (15Khz & 25Khz) then I don't see the point. Failing that, fit a normal jamma harness & use soft15Khz (in 25Khz mode)

yeah that's the problem really with cabs, technically you might get them cheaper outside ireland, but by the time you get them into ireland you'd end up paying through the nose. i'd say you'd pay about ?150 to have this cab shipped from videotronics given he quoted some guy who lives in the uk £80 to deliver a cab.

can't seem to find soft15kh download, can find plenty of forums talking about it though!! any idea where I should be looking? :confused:

Hygro wrote: »
    can't seem to find soft15kh download, can find plenty of forums talking about it though!! any idea where I should be looking? :confused:

http://community.arcadeinfo.de/showthread.php?p=59291#post59291

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Em, they're kinda heavy...so unless Mo can personally deliver in a van I doubt it'd be cheaper to buy from the UK.
    (Sigh) There's always one... I didn't suggest buying from the UK. Why would I do that? I'm offering the OP a guide on prices.

Master of the Universe

(Sigh) There's always one... I didn't suggest buying from the UK. Why would I do that? I'm offering the OP a guide on prices. I got a machine like this with a broken chassis for nothing before it went to a skip.

It's all good to get stuff for free/next to nothing when it's available. You get a lot of that happening in the UK as it's a big place.

However you can't really apply their marketplace and availability to that of Ireland. We're a much smaller country and machines are far less common. UNLESS of course you're going to import.

If you want to offer the OP a guide on prices you really need to be going by what's on sale in this country.

€200 is not a lot for a cab in Ireland with a screen problem. Especially a dedicated cab in good shape like that with it's original board.

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's all good to get stuff for free/next to nothing when it's available. You get a lot of that happening in the UK as it's a big place.

However you can't really apply their marketplace and availability to that of Ireland. We're a much smaller country and machines are far less common. UNLESS of course you're going to import.

If you want to offer the OP a guide on prices you really need to be going by what's on sale in this country.

€200 is not a lot for a cab in Ireland with a screen problem. Especially a dedicated cab in good shape like that with it's original board.
    I am going by what's available here. Working cabinets over €200 rarely sell, from what I see in adverts and eBay.ie, unless they're candys or thousand-game MAME machines. You can add a little to this one because it's a 25/26 inch, but you could then subtract some because the monitor can't be rotated as easily even as an old upright from the 80s, and these mid-90s Electrocoins were designed to have games changed from the rear. Maybe the control panel flips up for game changing on this one? And if it's 25khz only, I'd leave it alone regardless.

Master of the Universe

I am going by what's available here. Working cabinets over €200 rarely sell, from what I see in adverts and eBay.ie, unless they're candys or thousand-game MAME machines.

You can add a little to this one because it's a 25/26 inch, but you could then subtract some because the monitor can't be rotated as easily even as an old upright from the 80s, and these mid-90s Electrocoins were designed to have games changed from the rear. Maybe the control panel flips up for game changing on this one? And if it's 25khz only, I'd leave it alone regardless.

I think there's a bit of confusion here as it's dramatically split between working nice cabinets and working ugly pieces of ****.

A nice, good condition cabinet will sell for good money here. If it's dedicated all the better.

A lot of the ones you see not selling are generic woodys and ugly looking monsters. Any nice ones I've seen, especially dedicated ones (KI, MK2 etc) usually sell for good money.

The cabinet in question would be a nice looking dedicated cabinet. For those reasons, €200 is a steal.

The fact that the monitor only supports 25Khz is a bummer. But if I had the room I'd have definitely bought it myself.

The ad's been updated, the monitor was working after all, but due to this the price has gone up. After getting a working cab quite cheap because of a "faulty monitor" (which was actually just a disconnected cable ... see my other Nooooooo post :cool:) I should have learned my lesson :pac:

Still, 300 quid's pretty good considering I've been quoted more for lesser looking cabs with no artwork or game.

Master of the Universe

Haha! He must have been reading your thread here and decided to check the monitor cables. Shame you didn't go for it when you had the opportunity alright!

I'm my own worst enemy o1s1n :D

(Sigh) There's always one... I didn't suggest buying from the UK. Why would I do that? I'm offering the OP a guide on prices.

I don't see the relevance of giving us UK prices in this case, firstly the currency differnce never equates properly to our expected prices with arcade stuff, it's usually a lot cheaper in the uk given better availability, courier companies & delivery is normally much more competetive in the UK, and all other sorts of considerations.

Regards your "Sigh, there's always one" comment...your a bit tetchy arn't you? Chill out :)

It's not 'confusion.' At the risk of offending lads here who've bought them, those one-game cabinets you mention are ugly and impractical, even though technically they are 'dedicated.' This Last Bronx machine might be dedicated, but it's really just a standard Electrocoin machine with a printed control panel, marquee, and side stickers. €200 would be the limit for it.

Even an old six-button upright with a 20 inch rotatable screen would be tidier and more versatile, and worth more to me. I suggest thinking about owning and using a machine from day-to-day before deciding how much it's worth. Look at the market for candy cabinets. The more they can do (multi-sync), the more they're worth, and the smallest, neatest ones are some of the most expensive. While even the most attractive dedicated driving and shooting machines sell for relatively little.

Regards your "Sigh, there's always one" comment...your a bit tetchy arn't you? Chill out :)

I read a little sarcasm in this:
    Hence the tetchiness.

• Advertisement

I read a little sarcasm in this:

Hence the tetchiness.

Read sarcasm all you want, it wasn't intended. I thought you were advising the op to buy form the UK when you wern't, so thats my mistake...hardly something to get tetchy over.

Read sarcasm all you want, it wasn't intended. I thought you were advising the op to buy form the UK when you wern't, so thats my mistake...hardly something to get tetchy over.

Then I apologise.

Then I apologise.

No big deal man, misunderstandings are common place here...see Retr0's posts for example :D

Master of the Universe

It's not 'confusion.' At the risk of offending lads here who've bought them, those one-game cabinets you mention are ugly and impractical, even though technically they are 'dedicated.'

That's a pretty broad statement. You might find them ugly and impractical. Doesn't mean everyone does. I sure as hell don't find a Mortal Kombat 2 dedicated machine ugly! And I'm sure if it was in a big shed out someone's back it's not exactly that impractical either.
    This Last Bronx machine might be dedicated, but it's really just a standard Electrocoin machine with a printed control panel, marquee, and side stickers. €200 would be the limit for it.

I dunno, I still think €200 is a good price. The monitor being 25khz might put a lot of people off, and it wouldn't do as a single cab (therefore might not be worth €200 to people who only want one machine). But if I had enough space as I said, I'd gladly take it at that price to play games of that resolution.

Even an old six-button upright with a 20 inch rotatable screen would be tidier and more versatile, and worth more to me.

What's worth more to you might not necessarily be worth more to another person. I would much rather take a big screen, therefore a big screened monitor would be worth more to me.
    I suggest thinking about owning and using a machine from day-to-day before deciding how much it's worth.

Absolutely. What works for one person might not work for someone else. I've even heard people say candy cabinets are ugly and that they'd rather a woody (the horror! :D)
    Look at the market for candy cabinets. The more they can do (multi-sync), the more they're worth, and the smallest, neatest ones are some of the most expensive. While even the most attractive dedicated driving and shooting machines sell for relatively little.

Candy cabinets are worth more because -

They are made in Japan & generally Japan only. Therefore you need to import. Heavy object & traveling from Japan = added expense.
    They have big expensive flat rotatable monitors. (some of which are trisync).
    More expensive build construction - no wood.

Being small, convenient and desirable definitely adds to the price. But I would imagine the above reasons make up the bulk of it.

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's a pretty broad statement. You might find them ugly and impractical. Doesn't mean everyone does. I sure as hell don't find a Mortal Kombat 2 dedicated machine ugly! And I'm sure if it was in a big shed out someone's back it's not exactly that impractical either.

I dunno, I still think €200 is a good price. The monitor being 25khz might put a lot of people off, and it wouldn't do as a single cab (therefore might not be worth €200 to people who only want one machine). But if I had enough space as I said, I'd gladly take it at that price to play games of that resolution.

What's worth more to you might not necessarily be worth more to another person. I would much rather take a big screen, therefore a big screened monitor would be worth more to me.

Absolutely. What works for one person might not work for someone else. I've even heard people say candy cabinets are ugly and that they'd rather a woody (the horror! :D)

Candy cabinets are worth more because -

They are made in Japan & generally Japan only. Therefore you need to import. Heavy object & traveling from Japan = added expense.
    They have big expensive flat rotatable monitors. (some of which are trisync).
    More expensive build construction - no wood.

Being small, convenient and desirable definitely adds to the price. But I would imagine the above reasons make up the bulk of it.
    Alright. No problem. I went and got a bit serious about trivial things there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Hey all,

Thought id share as I bought this Cab, its in perfect condition bar need to replace marquee light inside, its gorgeous looking cab, my 1st upright and couldnt be happier.

Artwork and marquee all perfect, screen has no burn in, looks great.
    Its Nanao 15/25htz screen. Last Bronz working perfectly bar Control panel needs replacing which I have all parts for, so alls good.
    It even comes on 4 biggest caster wheels if ever seen,
    the thing is great to wheel around the house :)

So im delighted so far and cant wait to get this to a Mame Cab. Chuffed :)
    Although was some dose to get down to cork with it in a 97 306 estate that hadnt been started in 4 months :)

Now the fun part get that screen talking to PC somehow:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71398215#post71398215

I have restored and converted an old CocktailCab to mame,
    ill start thread on that too and post conversions pics :)

Massive amount of arcade guys on boards,
    I didnt relize it had such a following. Some awesome threads all.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Kev

Advertisement