Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really confused by boss

Options
  • 13-03-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Any advice much appreciated, i really don't know what to do.

Working in a banking department for 7 years, been promoted twice to be managing team of 7 people. Have a consistent record and would consider myself a popular, approachable worker and held in high regard by all.
    In the last year due to the financial woes and lack of job security, the job has become very political, with a lessened emphasis on core work, and loads put on committees who actually do nothing and recognition given to those who spend half the day telling what they do as opposed to just getting on with it.
    Anyhow, my new boss has been ranting on about my performance to another manager in the department, saying I'm doing the bare minimum, but when I actually meet her she says she knows well how hard I work and that it's others higher up and outside the department who don't see it.
    I brought a list of things I had done in addition to my job in the last two weeks alone, and my boss made out she was aware of all of it. Important to say that the other boss is my best friend in work, someone I trust more than anyone and who I know for sure is not twisting things.
    Just wondering what's best course of action to take, should I ask my boss to send me something in writing to confirm what she's saying to me in private, but not to others is documented.
    I am so confused and anxious about it all, I just want to work and be left alone to do it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A lot of places are like this, or change to it, after they get bigger, or are downsizing. Sometimes its one person that starts this culture forcing everyone else to compete. Its what you are seen to do, not what you actually do that counts. As a result you have to put some effort into being seen to do things and also start documenting what you do. Weekly report or similar. With stats if possible is usually a good way to go. You also have to start paying attention to what others do, or are seen to do, relative to yourself.

You either have power enough to avoid the the game, or play it and keep your job, and get promotion etc. Alternatively leave and find somewhere that doesn't fall for this kinda false productivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

sounds like you got a **** boss at the moment. do managers change around much ? can you stick it out till he/she goes ?

Advertisement