Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to choose a dog . . .

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Dogs are what you make them, not what their breed supposedly dictates.

All three of mine arrived at different times. It was always an instant decision as they were found as strays. I do not know their histories but two had clearly never been kept indoors. Whilst all three are very different breeds & their personalities vary, they all have the same confident, laid back & easygoing nature. Their character's are very similar & reflect how I react with them.

Dogs are amazingly adaptable. They cope with new situations & new companions really easily provided that we show them how to interact. There must be a rescue in your neck of the woods so why not try out a foster ?.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My next dogs either another Lab or Shiba Inu--always loved the Shiba`s.

Im also quite partial to Labradoodles--hate the fact that they are being advertised as "designer breeds".Having met a few their personality is just great and I love the look of them.

There is also a strong movement for them to become a recognised breed with a few Kennel clubs around the world seeking recognition.

However I`d never buy one from a puppy farm--I dont think Id buy one over here to be totally honest as Im of the view that the majprity of breeders breeding these are not reputable--Im intelligent enough to know what to look out for when Im purchasing any dog from even a so called reputable breeder but if I found a puppy for rehoming or for free I`d seriously consider trying the rehoming route again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I'm seriously considering getting another Springer, they are such fabulous dogs. Even with his many issues my big guy is still an absolute pleasure to be around. Watching him run through a field as happy as the proverbial is one of lifes joys :D

They are a mad breed but I do recommend them. Given what I know of your lifestyle it sounds like a good match :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Discodog wrote: »
    All three of mine arrived at different times. It was always an instant decision as they were found as strays. I do not know their histories but two had clearly never been kept indoors. Whilst all three are very different breeds & their personalities vary, they all have the same confident, laid back & easygoing nature. Their character's are very similar & reflect how I react with them.

Dogs are amazingly adaptable. They cope with new situations & new companions really easily provided that we show them how to interact.

I completely agree with this. I have 3 dogs, a Rottweiler, a Chihuahua and a Japanese Spitz, you probably couldn't get 3 more different breeds if you tried yet they all have similar personalities, all respond the same to me, have all been trained the same way and all fit into their own little niche in my house. I put this down to the fact that I don't see breed, I see dog and adapt my life to their needs.
    For example my Rottweiler would need more exercise and mental stimulation than my Chihuahua so when I walk them my Chi general goes off sniffing and doing her own thing at her own pace while my Rottie would be constantly running, jumping and fetching after her tennis ball as a reward for doing some training commands both their needs are being met at the same time.
    As for my favourite breeds, it would be a head to head with the bully breeds and the wolfy (looking) breeds, GSD, Mals, Husky, Spitz etc.
    Although saying that my next dog ( along way down the line) will be a rescued greyhound :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

your top 5 personality matches
    • akita.gifnum_match_1.gifAkita
      or Akita mix Why?
      The bold and intelligent Akita shows unequaled loyalty to his family.

This breed is an especially good match for your responses to these questions: "What size dog are you considering?", "How much do you exercise?", "What arrangements are you planning to make for your dog during a typical week day?", "What's your best guess at describing your future dog parenting style?"
    • alaskan-malamute.gifnum_match_2.gifAlaskan Malamute
      or Alaskan Malamute mix Why?
      Dignified yet playful, the Alaskan Malamute is a working dog who thrives when exercised regularly.

This breed is an especially good match for your responses to these questions: "What size dog are you considering?", "What's your best guess at describing your future dog parenting style?"
    • anatolian-shepherd-dog.gifnum_match_3.gifAnatolian Shepherd Dog
      or Anatolian Shepherd Dog mix Why?
      Bold, calm, and rugged, the Anatolian Shepherd Dog fiercely protects his own.

This breed is an especially good match for your responses to these questions: "What size dog are you considering?", "What arrangements are you planning to make for your dog during a typical week day?", "What's your best guess at describing your future dog parenting style?"
    • bernese-mountain-dog.gifnum_match_4.gifBernese Mountain Dog
      or Bernese Mountain Dog mix Why?
      The Bernese Mountain Dog is a handsome, gentle giant.

This breed is an especially good match for your responses to these questions: "What size dog are you considering?", "How much do you exercise?", "Which comes closest to your idea of a satisfying Saturday morning?", "What kind of amusement park ride best describes the energy in your home?", "What arrangements are you planning to make for your dog during a typical week day?"
    • black-russian-terrier.gifnum_match_5.gifBlack Russian Terrier
      or Black Russian Terrier mix Why?
      Developed by the Soviet Army, the Black Russian Terrier is the perfect working dog.
    I dunno about it being unreliable. I never believe these thing but i answered it all truthfully and my top result was the akita!! Which is quite frankly, the breed I'm pretty sure I'll have from now. And the mal and anatolian are dogs i want to get down the line. Surprised cos I usually get the newfie as my first dog in these things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I know this thread is a bit of a golden oldie at this stage but I always like to see posters coming back with an update, so I'm affording the same courtesy.

I'm at the end of a 40+ waiting list for a Sheltie from a first class breeder in the UK. I believe I may be the only person that will take a pet/agility quality male so it depends what comes out of her next few litters. Failing that I have a few other possibles on a short-list and am going to look into (the somewhat elusive) Sheltie Rescue in the UK a bit closer to the time though I'm not sure how comfortable they may be with a rescue leaving the country.

I have a strong suspicion no. 2 will be followed by an Irish red, or red & white setter. I've become very interested in the Irish red & white Setter out-cross program being undertaken as a joint venture between the IKC and the breed club, so will be doing a lot of digging into that. It's highly unlikely that there will be another 2 years between no's 2 and 3 ;).

Mymo - you seem to have a talent for matching people with breeds, you should start charging people for the service :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Thanks AJ, hope you get a great dog, shelties are great fun. (had to re read the thread to see what you were thanking me for:o)

I just tried that match up thing and got a bit of a shock, 1st Anatolian shep, 2nd Dobbie, 3rd German pinser, 4th Mastiff, 5th Neapolitan Mastiff.

While I love all dogs and am fond of the Dobbie in particular, I wouldn't have any of those breeds, also I ticked the medium size box, so I'd hate to see what was a large.

I am currently trying to figure if I should go fro number 3, but think I may wait a while, have a 3 and 2 year old at the mo, don't want to end up with them all old together. (really want another Tibetan though, may change my mind)

Oh and I really wish people would listen in real life, in last few months 3 people I know have handed in dogs to rescue that I advised them not to get as they wouldn't suit them, but they got them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

mymo wrote: »
    I just tried that match up thing and got a bit of a shock, 1st Anatolian shep, 2nd Dobbie, 3rd German pinser, 4th Mastiff, 5th Neapolitan Mastiff.

While I love all dogs and am fond of the Dobbie in particular, I wouldn't have any of those breeds, also I ticked the medium size box, so I'd hate to see what was a large.
    I just redid the test, ticked the 'medium size' and 'walk frequently' options and one of the breeds it gave me was a Bullmastiff, which is definitely not medium and, afaik, is nowhere near active enough for me.

mymo wrote: »
    Oh and I really wish people would listen in real life, in last few months 3 people I know have handed in dogs to rescue that I advised them not to get as they wouldn't suit them, but they got them anyway.

Have spotted a Sibe in the free ads this week 'for sale'. There are a few things in the ad that lead me to believe I know this dog. The dog was bought as a replacement for the previous dog (can't recall the breed, but in no way similar). Again no thought was put into it but I was still surprised as the owner seemed a completely genuine person who had his best interests at heart. I'm most surprised by the fact that the dog is for sale and not for re-homing!

*sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Yep 2 of these dogs were sibe's, both replacements for dogs that were also handed in to rescues as too boisterous or needing too much exercise, both owners asked what I thought, then ignored me.
    For one of these people its at least the 3 dog in last few years.
    Just back from a big long walk where I met another sibe owner, she is 8 months and the owner asked me if I know anyone with a male as she's going to breed her when she's next in season, "sure I'll at least get my money back".:mad:
    This dog has a very bad waddle walk already and I suspect hip problems. Owner says no she doesn't the breeder told her all their dogs were problem free. No certs, didn't even see parents, just picked from 4 pups in a pen.
    I really do wonder about people sopmetimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Does anyone have any decent links to sites that tell you what you should consider when getting a dog?

I found links to a great site but please no preachy or snide comments.
    If you go onto done deal and go to the pets/ dogs section there is a great link to a site with every type of breed and a chart on it's energy levels, coat shagginess, temperament, size, walking requirements, pictures, breed description etc. I found it amazingly helpful and much more so than officiL dog sites : )
    Or you could buy an official all Breda dog book from amazon; about e30 and really beautiful coffee table item!
    Good luck!!!

Oopps I didn't mean snide remarks from You!! I meant it just in general!!!

Also!I was scanning Puppies for Dummies in Easons and they have a great 2 pager tick box questionnaire that you can do; it then sorts you out by type and breed suggestions; I found it helpful!!!

One final thing!!! Giant breeds, the Great Danes and Irish Wilfhounds, don't need mire than 20 mins walking a DAY and love to just SNOOOze!! I was toying with the idea of one but thought it would be too much walking; how wrong I was. I know a few people with both and their lives are very non walking and relaxed; unlike mine!!

Best of luck and have fun : )

Well thanks for all that helpful info, but you should probably have read the whole thread before posting ;)

Well thanks for all that helpful info, but you should probably have read the whole thread before posting ;)

I did.
    : )

Not everybody thinks the
    Same way thou; beauty of boards; diversity!

O that's a bit mad. I just realised I sent you a PM earlier!!! : )

Well I'm sure other people will find this helpful as well, it just looked a bit like you hadn't realised I had all my decisions made :D

Me? :confused:

If you did, I didn't get it!

Me? :confused:

If you did, I didn't get it!

Ah! Just checked! You re right! Sorry! You were the next poster down/under! Your " name" was cooler so it stuck in my head!! Sorry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

Hi I would be looking at what the dog was bred for. Springers are working dogs, need lots and lots of exercise, i had a cocker and he was wired. the lap dogs, cavs etc need company.

age: a huge consideration, pups will chew, pee and destroy, you cannot really leave a pup for any amount of time.

intelligence: German sheps etc need a lot of mental stimulation.

I think you should be thinking of your situation and what dog would fit in with it, I have 2 rescues and they are super dogs, both crosses and when i got them they had been neutered and were lead trained and housetrained.......

crally wrote: »
    Hi I would be looking at what the dog was bred for. Springers are working dogs, need lots and lots of exercise, i had a cocker and he was wired. the lap dogs, cavs etc need company etc

Y! That " puppies for Dummies" chart questionnaire was great for me; before I'd come across that I'd never heard of classifications for dogs and their breed characteristics; unbelievable!!!

You re dead right!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement