Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone need rats and mice?

Options
  • 13-03-2011 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

My name is Dean and i was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.
    I am interested in starting up a rat farm here in ireland to supplie pet shops and reptile owners with fresh frozen rats and mice of different sizes.
    Before I go any further with this venture I need to know if there are any pet shops or reptile owners here that would be interested.

It would help me a great deal if you could answer a few of my question on the mater, I understand if cannt answer some or all.

1. Where do you source your current reptile food from ?
    2. Would you be intersted in getting your reptile food from a Irish supplier such as myself ?
    3. How often would you order/take delivery of your rodent food ?
    4. What would a average order include ?
    5. What prices are you currently paying for your supplier ?
    6. Would you also sell much frozen mice are reptile food ?
    7. What other reptile food do you currently buy and is there any other food which you would like to have avalible ?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this post, and any reply would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

deano77777 wrote: »
    A chap in Kilkenny
    2. Would you be intersted in getting your reptile food from a Irish supplier such as myself ?
    Price and quailty are my main concerns

I bulk collect about 3-4 months worth
    €50

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭deano77777

Thanks for that thecivvie.
    My plan would be to selective breed good quality aniamls so i have good quality stock, but this means it will be about 8 months before im up and running.

Also im trying to orgainize postage and packaging methods to post frozen food and have it delivered with 24 hours to it remains frozen.

That is no problem, check with the various per shops around galway, also try reptile community's forum

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

I'd try www.herpireland.com forum and http://www.emerald-isle-exotics.com/ forum as thy're active, friendly forums with a lot of reptile keepers on them. ;)
    My answers, in bold below
    Petshop
    Yes, I know of one in Kilkenny but my orders are too small and it's not worthwhile for him to come to Galway.
    Weekly
    30quid and up
    Too much, between 2-3euro a piece for what I need...(will get exact prices tomorrow)
    n/a
    7. What other reptile food do you currently buy and is there any other food which you would like to have avalible ?
    Day Old Chicks. and Crickets

I'd try www.herpireland.com forum and http://www.emerald-isle-exotics.com/ forum as thy're active, friendly forums with a lot of reptile keepers on them. ;)
    My answers, in bold below
    Petshop
    Yes, I know of one in Kilkenny but my orders are too small and it's not worthwhile for him to come to Galway.
    Weekly
    30quid and up
    Too much, between 2-3euro a piece for what I need...(will get exact prices tomorrow)
    n/a
    Day Old Chicks. and Crickets

Im on reptile community already,
    Thanks for these links ill join them today.
    I know of the fella in killkenny, he is rely good. His prices are good to, from that iv worked out so far mine sould be about the same.

• Advertisement

Nice one Deano, I'm hoping this happens !

• Registered Users Posts: 6 agniux

Hey deano, wow, this is such a wonderful thread and topic!
    I run IrishFerrets. We also have 3 of our own and do rescue... Sometimes a lot.
    Currently I am feeding them Orijen/Acana/Applaws dry kibble mix. It is one of the best quality dry kibble on the market but we all know: dry is dry...
    I was thinking of switching to BARF/RAW for quite some time now. Especially after just coming back from Ferret Show in Norway where almost every participating ferret was fed on pray and I was working with the judge all day long, for 9 hours straight so have seen many many different ferrets.
    Buying one mouse e3 a piece is madness for us, especially when I'd need about 9-12 mice a day! So I only let myself buy a mouse or two as a treat few times a month.
    I am sure, were would be more people interested in buying from you! We have hunters on our IrishFerrets as well as ferret pet owners and most of them know a thing or two about the importance of good quality diet!
    So if you do create a farm like this, please do let me know! You can reach me on agniux@yahoo.ie or 087 2331632 (Agnes)
    Finding this topic made my day and hopefully business will work out for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BuddyBassett

I think its a great idea! Im thinking along the same lines myself but with insect food rather than mice or rats! I think shops in Ireland charge waaaay too much for there food and its also hard to find anyone that you can consistently get supplies from, I hope you get set up and I wish you all the best!

agniux wrote: »
    Hey deano, wow, this is such a wonderful thread and topic!
    I run IrishFerrets. We also have 3 of our own and do rescue... Sometimes a lot.
    Currently I am feeding them Orijen/Acana/Applaws dry kibble mix. It is one of the best quality dry kibble on the market but we all know: dry is dry...
    I was thinking of switching to BARF/RAW for quite some time now. Especially after just coming back from Ferret Show in Norway where almost every participating ferret was fed on pray and I was working with the judge all day long, for 9 hours straight so have seen many many different ferrets.
    Buying one mouse e3 a piece is madness for us, especially when I'd need about 9-12 mice a day! So I only let myself buy a mouse or two as a treat few times a month.
    I am sure, were would be more people interested in buying from you! We have hunters on our IrishFerrets as well as ferret pet owners and most of them know a thing or two about the importance of good quality diet!
    So if you do create a farm like this, please do let me know! You can reach me on agniux@yahoo.ie or 087 2331632 (Agnes)
    Finding this topic made my day and hopefully business will work out for you!

Thanks for that agniux, you also just made my day.

I never even thought of ferrets.
    I rely do hope to get this of the ground some time this year. My plan from the begining is to breed rely health rodents from good lines and not inbreed, I may also get some lab strain animals to.
    On top of just being from good stock, i also want them to be feed on a well balanced diet so they are nutritus to the animals that eat them.
    To achive this i have bassed all my food prices on lab blocks from harlan (T.2018.12 Standard 18% rodent diet), which is a bit more expensive but a lot better for the rodents.

I think its a great idea! Im thinking along the same lines myself but with insect food rather than mice or rats! I think shops in Ireland charge waaaay too much for there food and its also hard to find anyone that you can consistently get supplies from, I hope you get set up and I wish you all the best!

Hope you get yours of the gound to.
    where are you based, im in donegal but i dont know yet if ill be setting this up there.
    Keep in contact and let me know if you get it runnning, i can recommend you then if i get going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 agniux

From what you wish to accomplish, with the choises you are making, I'd say you will go the long way!
    To get the healthy rodents is just as important for me as getting the best possible dry kibble!
    The more you talk, the more I wish you get the business up and well running as soon as possible! :)
    Best of luck, and with such plans, definitely put me on the list for the first order ever! =D

will do agniux,
    Hopefuly ill be able to get something going by next year.

Anyone who would be interested in buy there frozen rats from me, please post your interest here. The more interest in this I get the more likely it is for me to get it of the ground.

Ill hopefuly get a website up and running some time soon, ill post it up when i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

id be interested in x large rabbits and large chickens.
    there is a guy already doing what you are planning, if you can beat his prices and match his quality ill be interested in buying from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'd be interested in some frozen Rats.

Hi just thought id give an update on this,
    I got a test rack build, just need to fit the watering system now. Also ordering a few bags of Harlan blocks some time this week.
    Ill be starting a few breeding groups in 6 weeks, Im currently finished of degree in mechanical engineering, so im to busy with exams for now. Once I get these exams finsihed I can get things rolling.

Also im going to be doing a test post of frozen rodents in a few weeks.
    Ant had time to look into the dry ice method, but I want to do a test to see if normal ice would work.
    Ill be posting a box of gerbils (coz thats all i have right now) packed with ice in polystrene box. So if anyone down the country would like these, all you have to do is let me know what condition you got them in and at what time.

Ill put up another post in a few weeks if things are going well.

I'm in Galway also, so it would probably be pointless for me to ask for them. But don't forget to post this update on the reptile forums, and I have no doubt someone will do that for you.
    I'm very happy this is finally gonna be up and running Deano, my snakes'll be happy as well:P
    Joe

You have a PM as well.
    Joe

Hoping that you get up and running, I have to make a run to Tipp to collect some mice, so hoping this maybe my last run down

Hi just thought id give an update on this project.
    Im just finishing of my last year in collage, then im going to be doing some trial runs on breeding rats and mice to see if this would be worth doing.
    Got a test rack built, just need to install the watering system now.
    Over the summer ill be breeding some rats and and mice, so ill be posting some out to people around the country to test if they arrive still frozen and to see if how long they take to get to you. These test posts will probably be free, so if you want a help me out and get some free food let me know.
    Hers the test rack i built, its a good setup, i got the design of the net. I only have my gerbils in it at the moment, but its rely handy.
    110326_184430-1.jpg
    110326_184417-1.jpg
    110326_184407-1.jpg
    Im stick up some pics of the watering system when i get it instaled.
    I eventualy put sides, back, front and a roof on this rack so it could be kept outside for now. The white sheets are polystren insulation, to keep them all warm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 freddie feeds

<MODSNIP - if you want to advertise a business/company please email hello[at]boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Hi just thought id give an update on this project.
    Im just finishing of my last year in collage, then im going to be doing some trial runs on breeding rats and mice to see if this would be worth doing.
    Got a test rack built, just need to install the watering system now.
    Over the summer ill be breeding some rats and and mice, so ill be posting some out to people around the country to test if they arrive still frozen and to see if how long they take to get to you. These test posts will probably be free, so if you want a help me out and get some free food let me know.
    Hers the test rack i built, its a good setup, i got the design of the net. I only have my gerbils in it at the moment, but its rely handy.

Im stick up some pics of the watering system when i get it instaled.
    I eventualy put sides, back, front and a roof on this rack so it could be kept outside for now. The white sheets are polystren insulation, to keep them all warm.

i would hope those boxes arent for rats. my hamsters have bigger boxes than those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

I'm not sure about people who seem to really want to raise animals for slaughtering. :(

RossPaws wrote: »
    I'm not sure about people who seem to really want to raise animals for slaughtering. :(
    Please don't, its gonna ruin my inbox and anyways, there's youtube for that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

Ruin your inbox? I meant to reply to the OP, sorry. I'm not looking to start anything, certainly not going to go to youtube for it, I was just making an observation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

It is unfortunate alright, but while us humans can make a conscious effort to be vegetarian, unfortunately snakes etc don't have that option.

It's sad that mice and rats have to be slaughtered - I keep mice myself, they're great little pets - but reptiles need to eat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 frankwoodsflp

I'm looking for someone who supplies frozen mice at wholesale price in Dublin. If anyone knows how I can get in touch with anyone who does this can you please let me know. Thank you.
    I can be contacted at <snip>

Mod note: Please contact each other via PM to exchange phone numbers, don't post phone numbers on this forum.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

I'm looking for someone who supplies frozen mice at wholesale price in Dublin. If anyone knows how I can get in touch with anyone who does this can you please let me know. Thank you.
    I can be contacted at <snip>

ill pm you details , theirs a few places online to buy from

PucaMama wrote: »
    i would hope those boxes arent for rats. my hamsters have bigger boxes than those.

I am looking for frozen mice, if you sell these please phoine me on <snip> I am in Dublin. Thank you.

Mod Note: frankwoodsflp, please don't post personal contact details here. If you want to exchange phone numbers with other users, please do so by PM.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement

antocann wrote: »
    ill pm you details , theirs a few places online to buy from

That would be great, thank you. I can't find any where in Dublin who supply frozen mice at wholesale,

Petstop charges €2 each for small mice and €1.00 for fuzzies.

Looking forward to hearing from you. My phone number is <snip>

Mod note: As above, please use the PM facility to exchange personal details, phone numbers etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement