Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy steps on stairs

• 13-03-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi All,

We have a stairs in our house and over time the steps have got really creaky - to the pont where every step creaks on the way up and down the stairs:mad:

We have 2 young children and as you can imagine this creaking may wake them unnecessarily.

Is there any way of fixing this other than putting in a completely new stairs?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You can try tightening up the packers and wedges on the backs of the steps and risers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I have the same problem.

Stairs made in a hurry with unseasoned timbers of the boom

I have tried to screw from above with no success. The only way is to do it from below.
    The wedges from below are the only proper way of fixing it. Battering them home

But like most houses, this area will be sealed up with plasterboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭p15574

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bensboys

p15574 wrote: »

This is definitely worth a try, it is a bit of a nightmare as every step creaks, I never realised that something that seems so trivial could be such a pain:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

bensboys wrote: »
    This is definitely worth a try, it is a bit of a nightmare as every step creaks, I never realised that something that seems so trivial could be such a pain:(

I would be surprised if powder sorted steps.

I it usually the corner steps that give trouble . The riser inbetween the two treads loosen up. These should be screwed but sometimes they are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bensboys

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I would be surprised if powder sorted steps.

I it usually the corner steps that give trouble . The riser inbetween the two treads loosen up. These should be screwed but sometimes they are not.

Will get hubby to check this out as well, thanks!

Advertisement