Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it with Goat's cheese ?

Options
  • 13-03-2011 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

There is no such thing we would identify as a generic 'cows' cheese - instead hundreds of varieties of cheese.

So why do I feel there is a single identifiable goat's cheese taste, with little or no variety in almost anything you pick up labeled 'goats's cheese' ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'm only really getting into goat's cheese to be honest and there does seen to be some variety to me with regard to both taste and texture. I'll basically pick up anything I haven't tried before and I haven't been let down yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Regular 'Cream cheese' would be the cow equivalent. Goat's has a more distinctive taste, so it's more of a stand alone product.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There are many different styles of goats cheese.
    It's just that soft goats cheese is the most common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

To me any goat's cheese I have tried tasted absolutely disgusting. One of my daughters agrees with me, however my wife and other daughter have no problem with it. I have no problem with most cows cheeses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

professore wrote: »
    To me any goat's cheese I have tried tasted absolutely disgusting. One of my daughters agrees with me, however my wife and other daughter have no problem with it. I have no problem with most cows cheeses.

It seems to be one of those things you either love or hate. I love it, my best mate retches at the thought of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I had some firm goat's cheese at the weekend, first time I ever had anything other than the soft variety (which I love) mixed it with some bean dip and melted it on toast. Delicious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I have to agree. I like almost all cheese, even the stinkiest blue cheese, sheep's cheese, etc, but goat's cheese (any that I've tasted) completely ruins a meal for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Some of the harder goats cheese isn't very 'goaty'.
    And the softer ones are much stronger (goatier!) at certain times of the year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It tastes like feet :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Ardsallagh goat's cheese is one of my favourite foods! Goats' cheese in general does seem to be a love it or hate it food though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Oh Yuck, I find goat's cheese revolting, it's so wild. If it were a bird gamey would be the word. I dont understand the fascination with it, and goat's milk; it curdles my stomach.
    Evidently it is an acquired taste which I haven't acquired. And yes there seems to be only two flavours to it and the odd time I've had to eat anything with baked goats cheese in it I have disliked the chalky texture it has.
    Give me sheep's cheese any day. There is much more variety. From fresh ricotta in all the stages of maturity up to hard grating cheese. There is such a wide range of flavours and anyone who likes blue cheese knows how good roquefort is. Also although there are some producers, sheeps cheese is very difficult to find especially if you don't have a superquin nearby where it is wildly expensive too! Cheese is more expensive than meat!!
    I don't understand why irish sheep people don't invest more in cheese. Maybe it's is too labour intensive. I think the sheep have to be hand milked. I can't see them standing still like cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MinkyMoon

I have to say I love goats cheese, but I hate the taste of the milk! I think it's because I like the strong taste of the cheese, but that strong taste in milk is horrible in tea, cereal etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

MinkyMoon wrote: »
    I have to say I love goats cheese, but I hate the taste of the milk! I think it's because I like the strong taste of the cheese, but that strong taste in milk is horrible in tea, cereal etc

Ditto.
    Love goat's cheese to bits but hate the milk. Bluekk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Sandwlch wrote: »
    There is no such thing we would identify as a generic 'cows' cheese - instead hundreds of varieties of cheese.

So why do I feel there is a single identifiable goat's cheese taste, with little or no variety in almost anything you pick up labeled 'goats's cheese' ?

Its usually salty, and quite soft

Advertisement