Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roxy Records Douglas

Options
  • 13-03-2011 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

There were two Roxy Record shops in Douglas Court and Douglas Shopping Centre. Both have been closed for the last week or so.

I assume due to the fall off in demand for CDs/DVDs which can now be downloaded much cheaper and the general collapse in retail they have gone to the wall.

Can anyone or any staff member confirm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

All Roxy Record & their €2 shop outlets have closed.

AFAIK - victim of the boom rents + contracts and the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

They had a poor selection of stuff which didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

closed about 4 weeks now... shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Not so sure they actually went bust as the last time I was in the one in Douglas shopping centre they had very little stock on the shelves so it looked like they were winding themselves down.

Maybe coinciding with the end of a lease agreement as was already mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

mudokon wrote: »
    the one in Douglas shopping centre they had very little stock on the shelves so it looked like they were winding themselves down.

they were like that for years, since they took over blacktrack or whatever it was called in dunnes the one in tesco lost stock,

i was in there the first christmas they had both open,i was looking for a family guy dvd boxset and i was told i had to go to the dunnes center roxy to collect it. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

they were like that for years, since they took over blacktrack or whatever it was called in dunnes the one in tesco lost stock,

i was in there the first christmas they had both open,i was looking for a family guy dvd boxset and i was told i had to go to the dunnes center roxy to collect it. :confused:

I was never in there that often but this didn't look like just a shortage of stock. The whole row of shelves on the right hand wall of the shop were completely empty, as was the display opposite it.

Any time I had been in there it was never that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

The whole chain has been wound down - there were 9 Roxy shops in total. Lots of record shops on the edge all over the country - just no money in CD's etc. anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭rachos89

My friend's BF used to work there, and one day 2 guys from the head office turned up and told him it was closing. Just like that, no warning or notice given, and they took some stock away with them which AFAIK is illegal. A ****ing disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

its a shame all the cd shops appear to be vanishing,

i went into hmv in the city last week looking for a particular cd, they didnt have it, the only other cd shop in the city appears to be golden discs in merchants quay and that dosent have a great selection:(
    way too easy to buy things online but i prefer a normal shop!

Advertisement