Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kilkenny to limerick - quickest way to drive

Options
  • 14-03-2011 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone could tell me what is the quickest way to go from kilkenny to limerick? To go by cashel or go north and join up on to the dublin limerick n7?

Thanks alot

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's more or less the same to be honest. I go via Tipperary though.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Thanks a million. Always think best advice comes from those who drive it. Google maps isn't always accurate

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Kilkenny-Freshford-Urlingford-(motorway)-Cashel-Tipperary town-Limerick.
    2 hours roughly. A bad journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I would always go North. It's way faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Kilkenny-durrow-M7

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    Kilkenny-durrow-M7
    I will try that way the next time, seems quicker than the route I was taking:(

Thanks for that. The M7 is a great road. Think I will try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

As suggested by the above....

Been living in Limerick for about 8 years now...this is by far the fastest route now that there is a motorway open the whole way from Borris....

Kilkenny - Ballyraggot - Durrow - Ballacolla - Borris In Ossary - Motorway to Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Always go Kilkenny - Callan - Clonmel - Tipperary - Limerick, slower driving but its shorter as well.

Thanks guys

Think i gona go the way Rooney10 suggested. Much appreciated :)

• Advertisement

Always go Kilkenny - Callan - Clonmel - Tipperary - Limerick, slower driving but its shorter as well.
    I thought I was bad!
    After the first journey I learned my mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Did this journey the other day. Decided to go north and get on the M7 for a change.

It turns out this junction doesnt actually exist, http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.913172,-7.492805&spn=0.015165,0.038581&z=15

So you cant get on the M7 as quick as you like.

I came back via clonmel, I have gone via cashel also, i have discovered there is no 'good' route, not sure which is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Not doubting you but it's hardly a shorter drive to me...seems like a long way to me, always find Clonmel a good aul spin down from KK. If anything I would have thought via Cashel-Tipp Town was shortest as the crow flies and you get some motorway as well from Urlingford on. I would imagine the Borris M7 way has to be the quickest route now since the new road opened up.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Not doubting you but it's hardly a shorter drive to me...seems like a long way to me, always find Clonmel a good aul spin down from KK. If anything I would have thought via Cashel-Tipp Town was shortest as the crow flies and you get some motorway as well from Urlingford on. I would imagine the Borris M7 way has to be the quickest route now since the new road opened up.

Yeah, think I might try durrow the next time, see what its like and then if its not much faster (from thomastown that is) I'll try cashel instead.

Google maps:

M7 by Durrow. 1hr40 mins.

M7 by Borris in Ossory. 1hr 53mins

Cashel and Tipperary. 1hr 51mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Google maps:

M7 by Durrow. 1hr40 mins.

M7 by Borris in Ossory. 1hr 53mins

Cashel and Tipperary. 1hr 51mins.

But, if you go via Durrow, you then have to go via Borris-in-Ossory in turn. You can't really do one and not the other from Kilkenny.

You have to drive over the M7 , go through Borris-in-Ossory and then loop back to get on to the motorway. It's very frustating as I reckon that adds close to 15 minutes to the journey.

I was talking to an engineer recently who worked on one of the other motorways and he agreed that there should have been an on ramp to the M7 to cater for North Kilkenny/South Laois traffic getting on to the M7 between Durrow and Borris.

Just wanted to thank Rooney10 for directions. I took the
    Kilkenny - Ballyraggot - Durrow - Ballacolla - Borris In Ossary - Motorway to Limerick route.

Only took me 1hr and half. Quickest ever

Thanks again

Advertisement