Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hex Screws For A Remington 700

Options
  • 14-03-2011 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    I got an AICS stock fitted to my remy 700 about 12 mnths ago and hope to sell on both remy and aics stock as two separate items in the coming months as I'm trying to get into the stalking and want to get a .270 or .308.
    I went to have a look at the original black stock that my remy came with and low and behold, only one of the three screws that hold the stock to the action were in the bag.....
    I looked at midway.co.uk and they have them in stock but wont export outside the UK.
    Do ye reckon I'll have bother trying to get these screws or could I get them in a normal hardware store if I got their exact measurements ?
    I tried the remington website also but they wont export outside the US.
    Any info much appreciated !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

vixdname wrote: »
    Lads,
    I got an AICS stock fitted to my remy 700 about 12 mnths ago and hope to sell on both remy and aics stock as two separate items in the coming months as I'm trying to get into the stalking and want to get a .270 or .308.
    I went to have a look at the original black stock that my remy came with and low and behold, only one of the three screws that hold the stock to the action were in the bag.....
    I looked at midway.co.uk and they have them in stock but wont export outside the UK.
    Do ye reckon I'll have bother trying to get these screws or could I get them in a normal hardware store if I got their exact measurements ?

Brownells
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25484/Product/NICKEL_PLATED_REM_700_TRIGGERGUARD_SCREWS

Or a gunsmith.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Tim Hannam and Tannyoky guns in the North are franchises/agents for midwayuk. Ring them and ask them to get you the screws and either collect or have them couriered down.

A quick google search will give you contact details for both. As the items are not a componant part of gun, simply screws, i cannot see any problems or hassle either getting them or posting them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Vix,
    If you are unable to get them, please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

FISMA wrote: »
    Vix,
    If you are unable to get them, please PM me.

Will Do Fisma, thanks a million, I'll ring the lads in the north and see if they can get them down to me and if not, I'll definitely be in touch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

As the rifles is american its an imperial thread. Try a hardware shop or anywhere that sells bolts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

As the rifles is american its an imperial thread. Try a hardware shop or anywhere that sells bolts.

But be careful. The Americans use UNC and UNF threads, the Brits use BSW. Some threads have different numbers of threads per inch (TPI) and aren't interchangeable, but with others there is only a difference in the angle of the thread. These ones are interchangeable BUT you won't be getting the correct lock. With a rifle, the screws may come loose from the recoil. Unless you have access to thread measuring equipment, I'd try and get the genuine parts, just to be safe. Go to the hardware shop if all else fails (This is the opinion of the fussy engineer in me! I've spent years working with both US and Uk thread systems, why can't everyone go metric:mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

But be careful. The Americans use UNC and UNF threads, the Brits use BSW. Some threads have different numbers of threads per inch (TPI) and aren't interchangeable, but with others there is only a difference in the angle of the thread. These ones are interchangeable BUT you won't be getting the correct lock. With a rifle, the screws may come loose from the recoil. Unless you have access to thread measuring equipment, I'd try and get the genuine parts, just to be safe. Go to the hardware shop if all else fails (This is the opinion of the fussy engineer in me! I've spent years working with both US and Uk thread systems, why can't everyone go metric:mad:)

Just an option to save time/money.....

Bring in the original bolt (in sure questions would be asked if you brought in a rifle :P), use 1 of there nuts, if it threads on fully youve your thread pitch found out and but to bolts. Thats the opinion of the not so fussy fitter/armourer in me :P:P

but america will never go metric..... its 2 simple a system for them to comprehend :P

Lads,

Remmy only have 2 screws

long one goes behind trigger guard, shorter one goes in front of drop floor plate.

@$4 for a set I'd try and get original, or stainless if possible as they look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

but america will never go metric..... its 2 simple a system for them to comprehend :P

Bizarre that their military are metric and all the rest of em are imperial. As you say, why adopt a nice simple system when you can stick with your 63/64ths etc etc;)

I gave Tannyoky guns a buzz and he took my mobile but never got back to me and Tim Hannom said they couldnt get them so I mailed fergal White and he got back to me the next day and he said he has them in stock so happy days and thank you Fergal !!!

Thanks for all the info lads - much appreciated !

• Advertisement

Just wanted to mention it about my missing hex screws.
    I rang Fergal White on Friday and talked to him in person, he said he would send down the screws to me on Monday and I should have them by Wednesday.
    Fergal wouldnt take any money for the screws or for posting them down.
    I told him I was looking to get into the deer stalking this year and he gave me some great info.
    Have to say, it was refreshing to come across someone with such great customer service and great to talk to aswell.
    If I can I'll be putting whatever business I can his way.:)

Remmy only have 2 screws

long one goes behind trigger guard, shorter one goes in front of drop floor plate.

@$4 for a set I'd try and get original, or stainless if possible as they look better.

You're wrong there Tack, my Remy requires 3 screws, I can count you know.
    Have a look at the link below, a pack of 3 screws for Front, Centre and Rear.

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=517432

:p
    You're wrong there Tack, my Remy requires 3 screws, I can count you know.
    Have a look at the link below, a pack of 3 screws for Front, Centre and Rear.

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=517432

MOST remmy's I have come across here were SPS,VTR,CDL,VSF and other varmint and Thus have only 2 screws! I can count too:p

Forster Trigger Guard Screws Remington 700 ADL, BDL Slot Head Blue Package of 3

Forster Trigger Guard Screws provide an inexpensive way to upgrade the appearance of any firearm. These screws are machined, turned and have a slot head.

Technical Information

Material: Steel

Finish: Blued

Features: Slot Head

Fits ADL or BDL models

Will not fit Varmint stocks

Gunsmithing Required: No

I never said you couldnt count Tack, but dont make broad statements that ALL Remy require only 2 screws - some require three - theres a little bit of info you didnt know about Remys!!! - add it to your list :p

I never said you couldnt count Tack, but dont make broad statements that ALL Remy require only 2 screws - some require three - theres a little bit of info you didnt know about Remys!!! - add it to your list :p

Every day is a school day.
    There have been Remmys from 1905, there are a lot of them!

I know feck all about 770 and the .22 Remmy's just to name a few.

Advertisement