Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Dragon Gym Burned To The Ground

• 14-03-2011 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Just wanted people to hear it from me:

My gym burned to the ground last night as I was leading out fighters for my highest profile event to date.
    A car dealership under me apparently caught fire and the blaze took out half the block in the Commercial Park causing well in excess of a Million Euro in damages to several business including my gym.
    Nobody was there so no casulties thank God - time to start over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Really sorry to hear that.

Although its good that no one was hurt at least.

Hope your back on your feet soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

That's terrible news.

My MT coach back in Scotland had his gym burn down, and for whatever reason it wasn't covered by the insurance. He's still teaching though, so don't lose hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Sorry to hear that Pete, I hope things get back to normal for you sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Sorry to hear that. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Very sorry to hear that Pete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Gutting news for you - sorry to hear! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

That's awful news, best of luck getting back on your feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

jaysus sorry to hear best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭mmaireland.com

Man that's hideous news. Sorry to hear that and best of luck getting back on your feet as soon as!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭leonkickboxing

Very sorry to hear that Pete, hope you have your gym back soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭black dragon

Thanks for all the kind words guys - very humbling experience I must say and one that I wouldn't wish on anyone, but as they say: what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger - I've already checked out two premises and some more to view tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Sounds terrible, but at least no one was hurt or killed. If you hadn't been at the fight would there have been training on in there? Or was it late at night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Best of luck getting back on track Pete, no doubt the new Black Dragon will emerge stronger than before.

Thanks again guys - the fire was recorded as starting on CCTV at approx 18.40 on Sat when the camera picked up smoke and thankfully there was no-one on the premises at that time.
    However, the show was due to start at 7pm and I sent my wife to the gym at around 18.00 to get a stamp to stamp peoples hands for the security to let people in and out and she left the gym to return to the Black Box at approx 18.12 ish so it started within a half hour of her being there.
    Apparently some matresses in the Liquidation Store directly under us caught fire and it just caught hold.
    Thankfully my wife wasn't still upstairs and the fire is being investigated by the police, fire investigators, insurance investigators, forensics etc, so hopefully they should have some news soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

I sent my wife to the gym at around 18.00
    scary thought! must be a strange mix of heart ache over the gym and relief that your wife is ok Pete.
    Hope this event becomes ancient history soon, and you sort out everything quickly!
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Horrible news - best of luck with everything in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Thats horrible, all the best mate and hope you're back on your feet again soon

Thanks again guys for all the well wishes and I really want to say a huge thanks to Tim Murphy of Point Blank Gym and Chris Hickey of the Galway City School of Judo who have told me they were prepared to make space available at their premises til we get up and running again.
    Its kind of heart warming when you get messages like that and I also recieved hundreds of messages of support from people and businesses all accross Ireland, UK, France, and even the USA offering equipment, their services when we get a new premises, cash etc.
    Made me proud to be a part of the Martial Arts Community.
    We actually sourced a premises today and its down to the Dollar now whether we take it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Martin25

Sorry to hear about your Gym hope you are ok. keep the faith

Ok - the latest news in this tradgedy is as follows:
    We have now secured a 4500 square feet premises approx 100 metres from the old gym and its a prime road frontage location with up 45000 cars passing daily.
    We will be moving in for the first class next Wednesday @ 6pm for White Collar Boxers, then 7pm for Junior Kickboxers and 8pm for Senior Kickboxers.
    All class's are back to normal from then on.
    Huge thanks to my Landlord who has given me the new place on a one year contract with a promise that he will rebuild the old gym within 12 months and that it will be a custom built, tailor made, state of the art gym in 5500 to 6000 square feet that will blow my mind.
    I was offered an 11000 sq feet premises by Pauline Hefferenan free for a month to get on our feet and while I won't be using the place, it was a very firm offer.
    Feelin a lot better about life all of a sudden and I also want to acknowledge Tim Murphy from Point Blank MMA Gym and Chris Hickey from Galway City School Of Judo who offered me space in their premises if I needed it and also to Steve O Connor from Tralee Kickboxing whos also a painting contractor as he offered to travel 130 miles or so with a team of painters to deck the place out with not just a paint over but murials etc.
    Denis Brosnan from Galway Kickboxing Club emptied the boot of his car with new Gloves, Thai Pads, Shin/Instep Pads, Focus Pads etc and pledged 3 or 4 punch bags to me also.
    Thierry Muccini offered to send me Gloves, Pads etc from France and a local businessman has pledged €500 cash while Kevin from Pro-Gum Shields has started a nationwide appeal for equipment.
    Stephen Mc Cormac, a DJ from Gort offered to get a fundraiser up & running over the next few weeks and people from all accross Ireland have offered their services if needed including, Plumbers, Electricians, Carpenters, Welders etc as well as offers of equipment from ordinary people who happen to have had a bag or set of focus pads etc lying around.
    I've had countless offers from people wanting to help when we move in with cleaning, setting up etc.
    The local Radio which is picked up by over a million people has offered free ads and sports updates and the Head of Sport has said he will put a general appeal to the City & County as well as all the local newspapers pledging suppourt.
    Lots of companies from Ireland & the UK have offered substantial discounts on Mats, Rings, Equipment etc so to sum up: even though we're a country deep in recession, theres a tremendous amount of good will out there.
    From me to them: I salute you all and God Bless and thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement