Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iomega screenplay - problem

• 14-03-2011 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Following a thread in bargain alerts recently, I picked up one of these - http://go.iomega.com/en/products/factory-outlet/reconditioned-multimedia-drives/screenplay-plus/?partner=4725

It was a bargain and everything was going well but once or twice it "didn't load" (when I say it didn't load, I could hear it whirring away but the tv screen remained blank but I would just switch it off and back on again and everything would be fine). Now when I turn it on I get the iomega logo and it says loading and then the screen just goes black. I've tried it over the course of a few days and it's the same thing every time. I know the leads are all ok as it the logo appearing shows its connected.

Anyone got any ideas what's happening or what the problem might be? All help greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm not tech knowledgeable in this area but sounds like something wrong with the internal circuitry on its main internal motherboard.
    (I could be wrong)
    In all honesty, I think you will be having to bring it back to where you bought it as soon as possible for repair/replacement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Have you updated it with the latest firmware from Iomega's site.
    They may have wiped it when being "reconditioned".

Also, there should be HDMI/Scart/Coaxial/RCA outputs.
    Get your old scart or coaxial lead out to see if it's isolated to the HDMI output.

I take it that you have copied films onto it already & it's not blank cause it's empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philsopher

Biggins wrote: »
    I'm not tech knowledgeable in this area but sounds like something wrong with the internal circuitry on its main internal motherboard.
    (I could be wrong)
    In all honesty, I think you will be having to bring it back to where you bought it as soon as possible for repair/replacement.

Yeah, I've been thinking that I'll have to - the only problem is I wouldn't have a clue where I'd have to post it to. I'd imagine it would also be pretty costly. Would they have to recoup me or would I be liable for postage and any other expenses involved?

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Have you updated it with the latest firmware from Iomega's site.
    They may have wiped it when being "reconditioned".

Also, there should be HDMI/Scart/Coaxial/RCA outputs.
    Get your old scart or coaxial lead out to see if it's isolated to the HDMI output.

I take it that you have copied films onto it already & it's not blank cause it's empty.

No, I didn't update it with any firmware (wouldn't know how to, complete technophobe when it comes to stuff like this). As I say, it does work fine but has the occassional tempermental bout.

I haven't been using a HDMI output - I've been using the red/yellow/white outputs into a scart lead connector, which came supplied with the product.

Are you serious?? I really hope you're not!! As I said in my orignal post, it's been working fine apart from the odd glitch like this. The first thing I did was transfer the contents of my laptop onto it so there is definitely stuff on it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I would guess that the HDD is dead or dying. Is it re-conditioned? If so, there's you're problem. I would never buy a reconditioned HDD-based media player.

If it's within warranty I would send it back. Get a refund if possible.

If you can't send it back then the first thing I would do is plug it into your computer and run a full (sector by sector) disk check. Over USB 2.0 that's going to take hours but it's necessary.

• Advertisement

I would guess that the HDD is dead or dying. Is it re-conditioned? If so, there's you're problem. I would never buy a reconditioned HDD-based media player.

If it's within warranty I would send it back. Get a refund if possible.

If you can't send it back then the first thing I would do is plug it into your computer and run a full (sector by sector) disk check. Over USB 2.0 that's going to take hours but it's necessary.

Yeah, it's a re-conditioned player alright. Got a few positive reviews/comments from posters on here who said that it was well worth a punt for the price it was on offer for.

I'll have a look this evening and see if I can find any papers or documents for it, wouldn't be the best at keeping that sort of stuff. As I mentioned in my last post, am I liable for postage or anything? I'll take your advice though and go for a refund.

I have absolutely no idea what you're on about there!! Sorry, as I said earlier, I'm a complete technophobe in things like this. :o Could you briefly explain what that is and why I should do it, please?

Philsopher wrote: »

I have absolutely no idea what you're on about there!! Sorry, as I said earlier, I'm a complete technophobe in things like this. :o Could you briefly explain what that is and why I should do it, please?

If im not mistaken, that model can be plugged into your computer as an external storage device, right?

So plug it into your computer, open 'My Computer', find the device, right-click it and select 'properties'.

The properties box should pop up, then under the 'Tools' tab, press the error checking button. And you want to do a full error check so tick both boxes. It will take a long time (hours depending on the size of the drive).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

No, I didn't update it with any firmware (wouldn't know how to, complete technophobe when it comes to stuff like this).
    it!!

https://iomega-eu-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22298

There may have been a software fix for your glitch.

If im not mistaken, that model can be plugged into your computer as an external storage device, right?

So plug it into your computer, open 'My Computer', find the device, right-click it and select 'properties'.

The properties box should pop up, then under the 'Tools' tab, press the error checking button. And you want to do a full error check so tick both boxes. It will take a long time (hours depending on the size of the drive).

Yes, it can be plugged into my computer and used as an external storage device - usually transfer over my weekly downloaded tv shows and there is no problem there.

Thank you for the help on that, I will try that later on this evening. It's a 1TB drive with, maybe, 250GB of music and movies on it - would have any idea how long the process would take?

Also, if I can't find the papers to return it, is it worth keeping as a backup storage unit to whatever new one I purchase?

Many thanks! I will try and install it later this evening. :)

• Advertisement

Thank you for the help on that, I will try that later on this evening. It's a 1TB drive with, maybe, 250GB of music and movies on it - would have any idea how long the process would take?
    Maybe 8hrs over USB 2.0. I couldn't tell you exactly but something in that kind of range.

Many thanks for your post. I installed the software but unfortunately, it didn't work. :(

Back to the drawing board I'm afraid...

Just a quick update on this folks:

I have to say that their customer service is a joke - I've been in touch 4 times now and all I've got so far is an automated reply. The guarantee is still valid but it looks like my money is down the drain as there isn't much I can do if they won't respond to me. Not a happy camper at all!! :mad:

Any ideas or suggestions where I go from there?? Is there a physical store where I persue the matter in person with them??

Advertisement