Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disappointed with Sennheiser HD228's

• 14-03-2011 7:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

They are at the lower end of the spectrum in terms of price so I'm not expecting to be blown away. The main problem is the volume is way too low. You cant get a proper kick out of a tune. Sound definition is pretty decent I must say.

Any recommendations for my next pair, not more than 100euro? I'd love to hear some suggestions and your personal experiences. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

When you say the volume is too low, do you mean that you're in a loud environment and that you have to have it up so loud or that even in a quiet place you need to have the volume up? They're closed headphones but they don't cover all the ear so depending on the user they could be blocking out only some outside noise and not keeping in all of the music.

I find that using ipod & fischer audio dbas next to a motorway I only need to go to 75% volume. In a quiet room it's set at 25% and if I have to listen to a song loud 50% is more than plenty. Granted; a lot of headphones aren't as easy to power as them. Maybe try listening to them in a quiet spot at the volume set much lower and gradually increase it till you find a volume that suits you. If you still need to have them at max volume then you could be setting yourself up for hearing loss later in life.

I doubt they're the type of headphones that require an amp to get the most from but you could get a fiio e5 to give some extra volume. There are loads of places that sell it for around €10-20. If that doesn't work consider looking at IEMs rather than headphones which produce far better seals in you ears and you definitely won't need to listen at 100% volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 RighteousDude

The volume is too low sitting in a quiet room. Admittedly, as you mentioned also, the volume level I desire is certainly going to damage my ears so its not a total loss with the 228's. I should be glad I dont have the option.

Thanks very much for your thoughtful reply.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

you could try the 'asteroid mod'. involves removing the foam or something to make it sound better. check it over on the head-fi forum.

Advertisement