Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Jobseekers Recordings

Options
  • 14-03-2011 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hey everyone.
    This is Colin from Jobseekers just letting you know we've finally got decent recordings up on myspace.
    My vox were ****ed for it due to illness, but i pushed through, and we'll be re-recording them soon enough.
    Give them a listen anyway and let us know what ye think.
    Cheers!
    http://www.myspace.com/jobseekersband/?pm_cmp=nav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Howbad

Had a listen there,great stuff,keep it coming...is there an album in the works then?
    ......myspace is ****e to get working recently though isn't it?......our drummer spent a hour on Sun just getting one event to stick....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Scythe

Cheers man!
    Yea, myspace has had some issues of recent but they're sorting them out pretty quickly.
    We got our name changed to it's correct spelling a couple of hours after asking, so i can't complain really.
    We'd been thinking about an album, but we're going to release it as an EP instead.
    Eleven tracks.
    Get a reverb nation profile man. They work really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

excelent stuff there! kinda reminds me of old DOA or RDP, got to say everyone seems to play very well! And the content is topical & angry, feels like punk used to be in the 80's before hardcore became a narrow style of cliches.

Woeful Selfcare kinda suggests that you want a job? :confused: work for yourself, never become a slave!!! ;) maybe thats just the old punk in me, growing up in the 80's we never saw any hope for this country! just occasional "job" oppertunities to be exploited by those holding the reigns. There were those of course who were grateful to be in a menial job, ruduced to a conponent, paid to be sub-human, trading all week for weekends? Think by the early 90's though most saw sh1t for what it was and didn't want the endless cycle of gratitude to be employed, obseqious behaviour to keep it, endless unpaid overtime etc. to always finally be let go with the drop of a hat. I used to turn up to sign on with green and red poll-spikes, the other "normal" ;) people would wait for me before ququeing to sign on, I was given the list of crap jobs available that month, went down to check them out only to find "the positions had been filled", went back to the welfare with the forms signed by the employers who obviously didn't want a punk employee, and got everyone else off the hook from working sh1t jobs. :D kinda wondering when that attitude will resurface here?

anyway, these days I kinda "drop in" to the occasional punk gig, usually check this board for whats happening, do you play much? where?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

excelent stuff there! kinda reminds me of old DOA or RDP, got to say everyone seems to play very well! And the content is topical & angry, feels like punk used to be in the 80's before hardcore became a narrow style of cliches.

Woeful Selfcare kinda suggests that you want a job? :confused: work for yourself, never become a slave!!! ;) maybe thats just the old punk in me, growing up in the 80's we never saw any hope for this country! just occasional "job" oppertunities to be exploited by those holding the reigns. There were those of course who were grateful to be in a menial job, ruduced to a conponent, paid to be sub-human, trading all week for weekends? Think by the early 90's though most saw sh1t for what it was and didn't want the endless cycle of gratitude to be employed, obseqious behaviour to keep it, endless unpaid overtime etc. to always finally be let go with the drop of a hat. I used to turn up to sign on with green and red poll-spikes, the other "normal" ;) people would wait for me before ququeing to sign on, I was given the list of crap jobs available that month, went down to check them out only to find "the positions had been filled", went back to the welfare with the forms signed by the employers who obviously didn't want a punk employee, and got everyone else off the hook from working sh1t jobs. :D kinda wondering when that attitude will resurface here?

anyway, these days I kinda "drop in" to the occasional punk gig, usually check this board for whats happening, do you play much? where?

How on earth did that become a "back in the day punk was real punk" bull**** lecture? And what the fùck is wrong with wanting to do a good days work and earn a few quid for yourself? Am I "sub-human because I'd actually do a bit of work for me money rather than lay about slowly going insane?

Not saying anything about old school punk v newer stuff, not interested. Just commented on lyrics to a song, was kinda wondering if it was satirical?

Re: good days work for honest days pay thing, well I'm just suggesting that working for yourself, creating your own job is better than "sweeping up from 9 to 4"
    Don't see how that attitude is in anyway problematic with punk philosophy?
    Crass: Systematic Death, do they owe us a living?
    Dead Kennedys: "soup is good food", "working at my job" etc.
    Just picking those two cornerstone punk bands there, either side of the Atlantic but I believe that DIY and not working for the man, is the very backbone of punk rock movement or has it done a u-turn and become "bubble-gum rock" since I turned my head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Brunteaphile

Working for "the Man" is in regards to joining the rat race. Nothing wrong with working for someone, sweeping floors, pouring pints, selling clothes, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc.

How would you go about creating your own job anyway?

???
    Learn, develop and perfect a skill, useful to people and sell/ trade as an independant freelance whatever?

Just make sure you pay your taxes bud

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Brunteaphile

???
    Learn, develop and perfect a skill, useful to people and sell/ trade as an independant freelance whatever?

What will you do to live while learning/developing.

Btw, freelance isn't as good as it sounds.

??? That's a bit negative? Just takes a bit of time and effort, like it did for these guys to write and tighten up their music?
    No sense in feeling defeated, anything worthwhile takes time or why bother?
    While "training" well there's free courses if you look, information is everywhere now, schemes like TLA and FAS, or working in the chosen field -apprentice, personally I'm self employed, in two areas, architecture and martial arts, architecture I did on TLA, and martial arts well trained and competed for over 15 years now. Another old punk mate also did TLA and is currently publishing a book on philosophy, he lectures in it too. Both of us finished school in 93, sure it takes time to set up on yourself, and walking into a "provided" job / work is easier but punk for me meant freedom don't think I could I've my life clocking on, with a half awareness of the purpose of it all? All the lads i know who still love punk and it's ideals, all work for themselves, from tatoo artists to electricians, the guys we never see anymore seem to be drowned by the 9-5 and 2.5 children pressures.

• Advertisement

Hold on buddy, you think a self employed sparks isn't drowned by pressures at the moment?

Hey Niall.
    Thanks for the feedback. It's like this, i just want out of that ****ing queue man. It wrecks my head, the song is supposed to be both as humourous and as serious as the name "Jobseekers". It's as ridiculous as the unemployment rate, and it's as serious as how hard it is to get by on the dole.
    I'm sorry that this has turned into a bit of an argument, but let's remember, we're all here for the music, and if you're enjoying it then i'm glad, and if not, that's cool too but please be constructive with criticism.
    Thanks.

Also, we've played seven gigs so far, between Workman's Club, Fibber's and The Pint.
    We're playing The Pint again on June 9th, but i'll have more info on that within the month. Hope to get something organised for May too along with the hopeful release of the EP.
    Watch this space.

Great music, relevant subject matter, looking forward to a gig!

Cheers man.
    We're dying to play but for undisclosable reasons are not available this month. Anyway hopefully we'll get something in May and have an EP launch or something.

Since i last updated this, we've played The Pint, and FINALLY made it down to Cork to support Anti-Nowhere League. It was ****ing amazing experience.
    We're headlining The Gypsy Rose on July 15th, €4 admission, with The Gakk and Nevernoodz also playing, and then The Mezz on the 22nd of July, with support to be announced.
    I WILL keep you posted this time, and sorry again.

Advertisement