Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy clay?

Options
  • 14-03-2011 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi lads,

I'm planning to build my own earth oven.I will need clay. I did some research yesterday in stores like B&Q and garden centers but nobody ever heart of clay.
    Has any body any idea where could I get some,say 20kg of clay please?
    Preferable area Laois,Kildare.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

There's a massive clay pit near The Swan in Laois. It's used for making bricks. I'm sure someone would sell you a bag if you called by there.

johno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I suggest asking a local pottery for source of clay.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

does anyone know is there a clay pit anywhere in Cork ??????

i need a ton or so on a regular basis !!!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cannyfradock

smetol

The best clay for a clay oven build is what lies under your feet.

Find some scrub land and remove the topsoil and the sub-soil and you shoudn't have to dig that deep before you find sticky clay. Many people just visit a building site...any trench that is being dug for foundations will have the perfect stuff (they usually have to pay a premium rate to have it taken away.

It is usually just mixed with :,, 1 part clay, 2 parts sand and water, then formed into cobs and placed on the sand form for your oven.

There's lots of free info out there on clay oven building. Here's a downloadable pdf (free but he says you can donate £1...if you want) of a detailed clay oven build.... http://clayoven.wordpress.com/

PM me if you want more info on free plans or free info sites.

Terry

Advertisement