Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potatoes and mounding?

Options
  • 14-03-2011 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I set my earlies on Saturday abour 8-10 inches deep, when the shoots start appearing how high should I mound the earth over them taking into consideration the dept I set then?

And a second one, Main crop potatoes . . . when should main crop seed potatoes ready for chitting?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Nutri Eire wrote: »
    I set my earlies on Saturday abour 8-10 inches deep, when the shoots start appearing how high should I mound the earth over them taking into consideration the dept I set then?

And a second one, Main crop potatoes . . . when should main crop seed potatoes ready for chitting?

Thanks

if you mound potatoes that have been sown this deep it will only encourage the plant to make more shoots rather than tubers and thus negate the benefit of early potatoes, deep planting will produce more than enough shoots and tubers.

personally speaking i don't see any benefit in chitting maincrop potatoes as they will spend plenty enough time in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nutri Eire

Thanks for the reply, so you recon that 10 inches was deep enough, I could always replant them deeper if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

10 inches is more than enough for deep planting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Thanks for the reply, so you recon that 10 inches was deep enough, I could always replant them deeper if needed.

Yeah your fine, thats the depth of a drill in a field. You can chit your main crop now.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Yeah your fine, thats the depth of a drill in a field. You can chit your main crop now.

Any suggestion for a main crop variety, I might put down a few varieties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I planted my first ever potatoes yesterday and I left the tops of the shoots just poking out, should I lob a bit more earth on them?

kylith wrote: »
    I planted my first ever potatoes yesterday and I left the tops of the shoots just poking out, should I lob a bit more earth on them?

A question first. When you say shoots, I presume you mean the little green shoots about 1cm long. (chitting)

I am no expert but I think you should replant them deeper @ 10 inches as suggested above. Should not be a problem as you know exactly where the seed potatoes are.

Good luck with them, nice weather for doing it at the moment.

A question first. When you say shoots, I presume you mean the little green shoots about 1cm long. (chitting)

I am no expert but I think you should replant them deeper @ 10 inches as suggested above. Should not be a problem as you know exactly where the seed potatoes are.

Good luck with them, nice weather for doing it at the moment.
    Yes, the little shoots about 2cm long. The instructions on the pack just said "plant with shoots upward", so I put them in and just covered them with the tops of the shoots out. The bags that came with it (Homebase's Grow Your Own Patio Potato Kit) are only about 12" deep.

Yes, the little shoots about 2cm long. The instructions on the pack just said "plant with shoots upward", so I put them in and just covered them with the tops of the shoots out. The bags that came with it (Homebase's Grow Your Own Patio Potato Kit) are only about 12" deep.

Replant, you have to completely bury the stem, plant the potatoes 10" deep in your potato kit. The new potatoes come from the underground stem so the longer the stem in the ground the more potatoes you will have, also if the potatoes develop too close to the top of the ground they go green. Its a reaction to light on the potato skin, the flesh is posioness to eat, your liver can't process and you have toxic overload if you eat a substantial amount.

Any suggestion for a main crop variety, I might put down a few varieties?

Well B & Q usually sell a few UK varieties. There is a long tradition of different taste in potatoes between Ireland and the UK. The Hungarian Sarpo Mira blight resistant variety seems in fashion but I heard mixed reports on its taste. If you can get King Edward I would try. Some varieties need different types of ground to give you a decent crop so take that into account too when choosing, Golden Wonder is well known for needing tired over farmed land to produce a good crop.

Use this site for finding out more about potato varieties
    http://varieties.potato.org.uk/quick_search.php

This site might give you idea of main crop varieties
    http://www.allotment.org.uk/vegetable/potato/potato-flavour-type.php

• Advertisement

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Replant, you have to completely bury the stem, plant the potatoes 10" deep in your potato kit. The new potatoes come from the underground stem so the longer the stem in the ground the more potatoes you will have, also if the potatoes develop too close to the top of the ground they go green. Its a reaction to light on the potato skin, the flesh is posioness to eat, your liver can't process and you have toxic overload if you eat a substantial amount.
    Right so, more digging for me tonight!

Right so, more digging for me tonight!

At least its a nice evening:)

Advertisement