Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne or Perth for WHV??

Options
  • 14-03-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hey all,
    me and other half have got our WH visas sorted already, (going in early July) just wondering where would be better option to go to as regards work etc? himself is in construction and I work in legal field. will be happy as long as have work etc. and esp if he can get construction work we will be only delighted.
    we are hearing conflicting reports over which place would be best to go to (workwise) so any help at all would be very much appreciated!
    thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

If work is the deciding factor then have a look at www.seek.com.au or ring some recruitment agencies in each city. Both cities are doing pretty well workwise at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There are jobs aplenty in Perth anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lstars

thank you both for your responses!! such a hard decision to make, had decided on perth and then a few pple had turned us against it! need to get booking flights!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Xavi6 wrote: »
    There are jobs aplenty in Perth anyway.

is i.t doing well in perth xavi?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

lstars wrote: »
    thank you both for your responses!! such a hard decision to make, had decided on perth and then a few pple had turned us against it! need to get booking flights!

What did they say that turned you against it?
    zweton wrote: »
    is i.t doing well in perth xavi?

It's doing fine. Every company needs an IT department and there are jobs, only problem is the whole one job/six months restriction with the visa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Theres contruction jobs everywhere. My housemate who is from Melbourne and working in construction said to me theres loads here! But my mate is in Perth and says theres loads there aswell!

If work was the main reason for picking a place then go to Brisbane. I'd imagine there is a hell of a lot of contruction work there now after the floods.

Cant speak for Perth, but Melbourne is an awesome and very beautiful city! If you love sport by the way there is simply no better place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

It was missing a Rugby team but as they say in Cork up the Rebels!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Zambia wrote: »
    It was missing a Rugby team but as they say in Cork up the Rebels!!!

9 aussie rules teams (10 including Geelong)
    Lots of cricket
    A Super 15 rugby union team
    An NRL team
    Soccer and basketball teams
    Australian Open Tennis
    Melbourne Cup Racing
    Formula 1 Grand Prix

HEAVEN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lstars

pple had said that himself MAY get work there but i would have a serious hard time gettin work there (perth)
    essentially we are puttin a pin on the map and going there as neither of us has ever been to oz before. i know perth is said to be more isolated as farther away from other things, but im happy to give it a go, as long as we both can work and live easily enough.

have heard great things about both towns in fairness, and i keep hearing that the ple in melbourne are lovely and very welcoming!

weather wise - perth apparently is just slightly better...?

Advertisement