Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moss on tarmac

Options
  • 14-03-2011 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

anyone know any good moss killer for tarmac ? i've used moss go on it a few times and while it turns the moss brown, its very hard to clear it off and i'm uprooting the tarmac when i brush too hard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Powerwash first then apply the mossgo

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

No! Don't powerwash tarmac. You'll destroy the surface and the next hard freeze will wreck the tarmac.

Salt is a decent way to keep moss off the tarmac and it won't damage it either. Don't use salt on concrete though.

johno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

johno2 wrote: »
    No! Don't powerwash tarmac. You'll destroy the surface and the next hard freeze will wreck the tarmac.

Salt is a decent way to keep moss off the tarmac and it won't damage it either. Don't use salt on concrete though.

johno

Salt will damage tarmac....

Really?

Because I do some work for a woman that has been using on her driveway for years and she says it works a treat for killing the moss. The tarmac is in good condition too. That made sense to me because councils use it on our roads all the time in freezing weather. Surely they wouldn't use it if it was going to wreck the roads.

johno

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Oops, I see your point. Although I have done it. Guess my washer isn't that powerful.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, you might be okay with a weaker model. The quality of the tarmac might be an important factor too, but it would be very hard to judge until after damage was done. I cut a chunk out of tarmac while powerwashing once. That was an expensive lesson.

johno

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

I have this problem too, was just about to start a tread on it. our tarmac seems to be made of large chips so there are small gaps between the tar, small amounts of soil and sludge build up where water pools on it (when I say pool, it mean a very tin layer will be around for a while after it rains)
    moss grow very heavy on these areas. I started using a yard brush on it, it seems to work, but its time consuming and takes a fair bit of work.

I am thinking of buy a short stiff bristle brush and giving that a go,
    do you reckon this would damage the tarmac?

also its the same on the wooden decking in my back garden, use the brush and an old paint scarper to get rid of the moss and build up, but its very slippy

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

I have Indian sandstone in my garden and it goes very green with moss and algae over the winter. I was recommended a product called Patio Magic, you just dilute it, pour over with a watering can and leave it. Have found it very good, it clears up over a couple of days. They sell it in Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

murria wrote: »
    I have Indian sandstone in my garden and it goes very green with moss and algae over the winter. I was recommended a product called Patio Magic, you just dilute it, pour over with a watering can and leave it. Have found it very good, it clears up over a couple of days. They sell it in Woodies.

do you know if its safe for dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mickeyjo

do you know if its safe for dogs?

and is it safe on tarmac and concrete?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

Jeyes fluid, dilute it and use a watering can to spray it on you tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

From the website (Brinton Products)

"Suitable Surfaces include : Patios, Tarmac and Asphalt driveways, Fencing, Decking, Pathways, Roofing, Painted & Glazed Pots, Garden Furniture and Ornaments, Weatherboard, Brickwork, Masonry, York Stone, Concrete, Pebbledash, Garden Sheds, Greenhouses, Conservatories, Gravestones, Gravel, PVC, Caravans, Tennis courts and other artificial play/sports surfaces.

Patio Magic is also ideal for use on delicate surfaces such as glass, rendering, mortar and plaster."

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

i used a product called Mossbuster and found it very very good and it will kill it off for a long while its the best ive used yet,

heres their site might be more info on the product there http://www.weschem.ie/mossbuster.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Jeyes fluid works a treat on tarmac

Advertisement