Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

book research - Kilkenny ghosts?

Options
  • 14-03-2011 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭

Mods - I know you could class this as paranormal, but its completely kilkenny related - please let the thread remain here.

Im writing a book on local Kilkenny ghost stories. Besides the usual like Shankill Castle etc, I'm looking to find more modern day ghost stories from residents of Kilkenny. If anyone has any stories to share, or have any leads or know of anyone with an interesting Kilkenny based ghost story to tell, please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Castle park?

Sean Hurley had written about it in the Reporter a couple of months back and there were articles on it in the People in the 90's. A couple of 'ghosts' froghtned the sh!te out of a parkie. But in fairness that could just have been a frisky couple going at it in the woods.

Also Foulkesrath Castle (girl locked in the upstairs room until she died - it was featured on one of those sky ghost shows but in fairness she could have been a strumpet) and then of course Jenkinstown (white lady at the pump, soldiers fired at her and when straight through her etc etc but in all honesty she could have been trying to sell herself to the soldiers and they made up the ghost story to cover up the fact that they were at it on the job).

A mate of mine is convinced he saw one on the ardaloo road. He claims not to believe in ghosts but that when he was a kid he saw some creepy weirdo wearing old skool clothes carrying a bible, he said hello to the guy and looked away and looked back and he was gone. Apparently that guy has been seen by a few kids who live around there playing hide and seek or whatever. Maybe he's just a bible carrying paedophile weirdo who lives in a cottage nearby.

Another girl I know claims to have seen a girl in the bathroom of a house on Maudlin street. It frightened the sh!te out of her and she ran downstairs and told her granny and the granny said 'don't worry about her, we see her the whole time, she's harmless'.... but maybe it was a toilet obsessed voyer pervert though, disguised as a ghost?

A girl I know's grandad is convinced he saw one on the way back from the pub (!) and refuses to talk about it. Maybe he is hiding something... like latent perversions or something. Who knows?

I personally think ghosts are a load of cock by the way, but I'll happily change my mind when I see one.Hope that was helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Chapter 6 in John Fitzgerald's book Kilkenny, a blast from the past is all about ghost stories around the county, makes an interesting read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I know one house near greensbridge where two different people who lived there said that the place freaked them out and they were glad to be out of there. Don't think there were apparitions but strange unaccountable temperature changes etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

thanks folks

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Castle park?

Sean Hurley had written about it in the Reporter a couple of months back and there were articles on it in the People in the 90's. A couple of 'ghosts' froghtned the sh!te out of a parkie. But in fairness that could just have been a frisky couple going at it in the woods.

trying to get in touch with the Reporter at the minute - phone seems to be dodgy
    Also Foulkesrath Castle (girl locked in the upstairs room until she died - it was featured on one of those sky ghost shows but in fairness she could have been a strumpet)

weirdly enough, we checked out that place a few years back. there was a phantom knocking noise in top bedroom apparently, that in reality was a chimney flue with a small flapping door, located under one of the beds. the minute there was any kind of wind, the little door slammed, and people thought it was a ghost.
    and then of course Jenkinstown (white lady at the pump, soldiers fired at her and when straight through her etc etc but in all honesty she could have been trying to sell herself to the soldiers and they made up the ghost story to cover up the fact that they were at it on the job).

that the abbey?

Another girl I know claims to have seen a girl in the bathroom of a house on Maudlin street. It frightened the sh!te out of her and she ran downstairs and told her granny and the granny said 'don't worry about her, we see her the whole time, she's harmless'.... but maybe it was a toilet obsessed voyer pervert though, disguised as a ghost?

does that house still exist? would she be interested in recounting the story? (all contributions will be anonymous)

I personally think ghosts are a load of cock by the way, but I'll happily change my mind when I see one.Hope that was helpful.

I have, and I dont care at all that many wouldnt believe that.

• Advertisement

catbear wrote: »
    I know one house near greensbridge where two different people who lived there said that the place freaked them out and they were glad to be out of there. Don't think there were apparitions but strange unaccountable temperature changes etc...

was it just a freaky place with changing temperature, or was it meant to be haunted?

by the by - heres the cover for the one we done on Carlow which is being launched in June, published by the History Press with foreword by Dr Ciáran O'Keeffe. He'll be launching it at Eigse in June.

179069_192172630808985_126571677369081_662601_5834104_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

419Z7Q4JVDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

* I know the author, though I haven't read this book, (I'm sure it's really good Dara :D) . Not sure if there's anything on Kilkenny in it or not but he has lived here for a long time... so there is some local connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

About Shankhill Castle...

My mother was always terrified of cats. The sight of one would send her screaming. The odd thing though, was that she had cats when she was younger, and never had any problems. She always maintained that it all changed when she heard a story about Shankhill Castle. In a nutshell...a young man was staying in the castle...he had one particular room to himself...strange noises from the wardrobe...possibly told not to open wardrobe etc...opened wardrobe...and a pitch black cat jumped out on him. Immediately, his hair turned grey, and he aged decades in a few seconds, before dying in the room. Now, the story is obviously aload of hokum (or is it??;)), but that's not the point. The point is the power of stories, especially those of the supernatural. My mother was terrified of cats for no other reason other than one featured in a story that scared her when she was younger. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Tis a funny old world.

shankhill castle is a lovely place. we checked it out before but i never heard the story of the cat. there'll definitely be a chapter in the book about shankhill though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement