Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donore Summer 5k Saturday 28/5/ 2011

• 14-03-2011 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Course
    Race website
    Last years thread including poll results

Hi All,

Donore Harriers will be hosting the Donore Summer 5k Race once again this year in the Phoenix Park, starting at 11am on Saturday 28th May 2011. The route is as last year - starting on Furze Road and ending close to the Triangle at Chapelizod Gate. The route is accurately measured with a Jones counter and has an AAI permit. There will be a cordened-off section at the front at the start dedicated to club runners. The event will have chip timing (with both start and finish mats) and refreshments back at the club afterwards.

Online entries are now on Active Europe here. Details of the route and other information are also available on the Donore Harriers website.
    If you've any questions please feel free to contact info@donoreharriers.com.

Looking forward to seeing you on the day.

Thanks,
    Ali Loughney

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 19 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    78%
    tHE vAGGABONDhappygooseWoddleshawtyTimmaaymenoscemoT runnerhawkwingbelcarrapad-camchinguettinomadicEl DirectorRayCunthirstywork2 15 votes
    3 stars (average)
    21%
    bo-scoBrianderunnerVan.BoschPronator 4 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    I'll be doing this (unless by some miracle I get sub-20 this weekend). Going up Military Road could be a killer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Going up Military Road could be a killer...

It was for me but then again I was the muggins who pushed to the front of the group going up it (into a driving headwind and rain) and let everyone shelter behind me.

4649871522_7947353dc7.jpg

All the 4 lads behind me pushed on from the top of the hill and finished sub 20, while I was pretty much spent and couldn't push on and missed out by about 10 seconds.

Moral of the story- take it handy going up the hill and leave something in the tank to push on down the s-bends. Overall it is a very easy course with a big net downhill, so it should be good for giving up PB's. I will definately be doing it this year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

[QUOTE=Going up Military Road could be a killer...[/QUOTE]

At least it's only a short climb. Bit of a shock after coming down the Kybher alright but a nice, easy run in to the finish after that. PB Friendly :D. Hopefully better weather this year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 p_holmz

Worth looking forward to...Last race I ran was the Jingle Bells!

This will be my coming-out-of-hibernation race :cool:

Shud put in a tidy time of at least 29.9 mins!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

4 stars (good)
    Just reading over last years thread and think I'm going to give this a go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

4 stars (good)
    Will be giving this race a go since its my club race.Good to support races like these as the money goes back into coaching and other funds needed to run a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

4 stars (good)
    I was going to do La Cheile this Sat but I think I would benefit from a few more speed sessions so I am setting my sights now on this race instead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

This is going to be my first race since Barcelona. Bring it on. :D

4 stars (good)
    seems like a good crew doing this,Woddle you still up for it?Im the same thinking El director,couple more weeks on the track should help ;)
    Rainbow,how long ago was barca and what distance was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Barcelona marathon was 6 March, and that's where I got injured. :eek:

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    First race back always scary.This will be my first since wicklow 10k which was a disaster for me :mad:

4 stars (good)
    seems like a good crew doing this,Woddle you still up for it?Im the same thinking El director,couple more weeks on the track should help ;)
    Rainbow,how long ago was barca and what distance was it?

Still the plan, maybe a chance of getting under 22 which I'll gladly take.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

You may see me at this as well... I am hmmming and hawing bout the le cheile one but this is a more realistic target for me.....

an sure I may do both. Might even get sub 20 on it.... *Yes Meno I know u think I can do it but I am a bit sceptical of my abilities at present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

4 stars (good)
    Doing this cos everyone else is, Im a sheep :cool:

If I get anywhere near my PB [22.37] I will be happy :)

4 stars (good)
    Doing this cos everyone else is, Im a sheep :cool:

If I get anywhere near my PB [22.37] I will be happy :)

:rolleyes: Another sandbagger

4 stars (good)
    Another sandbagger
    I had to google that to see what you meant - thats so sad [on me!]

My point is that I wont have a nervous break down if I dont miss a PB by a bit, thats all. I have a good PB set only a few weeks ago.

Where for the 5 Mile and 10k - I have deffinate PB targets and if I miss them someone is going to get hurt :pac:

4 stars (good)
    Thought I entered this already but I hadn't but now I have :D
    Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

4 stars (good)
    I'm in too. I need to get me an official 5k pb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 skippy2010

Fingers crossed weather is good. If it is there should be a PB for the taking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

skippy2010 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed weather is good. If it is there should be a PB for the taking :)

Windy and wet last year, downhill course more than made up for it and were PBs all round.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Have my schedule done up now for the next 10days so hopefully this one goes well.hopefully a good turn out for this one.
    Was that you I seen on Sunday Menoscemo,soemone with you gave me a shout !!!
    Anyone find a link for last years race?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

On line entry close Wednesday 25th but entries also on the day at Donore clubhouse up to 10am. :)

http://www.donoreharriers.com/home_nav_33.html

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Tempted to do this and have a go at the 3K challenge. Anyone know the winning 3K time last year? 15:55 for 5K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

3 stars (average)
    I've finally entered. Hope the wind stays away. My 5k pb (18'46) badly needs revising. I wonder do they give ash cloud refunds for oversees runners :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

4 stars (good)
    gmurran wrote: »
    Tempted to do this and have a go at the 3K challenge. Anyone know the winning 3K time last year? 15:55 for 5K.

The leader was well clear at the bottom of the Kyber road so i guess the 3k time was in line with his 5k time or slighly faster given the last 2k is probably slower than the first 3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

going to book this tomorrow all going well. funds are a little low atm so will need to play it by year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

4 stars (good)
    Will there be a chip mat at 3k so everyone can see what their split is on the results sheet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

4 stars (good)
    happygoose wrote: »
    Will there be a chip mat at 3k so everyone can see what their split is on the results sheet?

I doubt it. Its a lot of expense to have a chip mat just to see whos the first male and female runner over 3k. One volunteer at this point would do.

If anyone wanted a split at this (or any KM point) sports watch or garmin would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    Decent goody bag if anyone is still wavering - reusable bag (like from the race series), water bottle, sports drink, chocolate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

4 stars (good)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Decent goody bag if anyone is still wavering - reusable bag (like from the race series), water bottle, sports drink, chocolate...
    Yep,almost worth the 15e alone and i don't think they even advertised that there was a goody bag.PB time in 15hrs :)

4 stars (good)
    Anyone want a little comp - see how well you know your central governor.
    Could be an idea for all races and rather than hijack every race thread, we could do it in the Smackdown thread

Name|Predicted time|Actual time|How accurate
    woddle|21'59||

4 stars (good)
    Table won't work :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nooooo tables make Robin angry... :pac:

4 stars (good)
    Woddle cant make a table as he has lost all control, as he knows his ass is grass and he is eating my dust/puddles tomorrow morning :pac:

4 stars (good)
    Looks like a strong westerly wind for tomorrow, so blowing straight in our faces as we go up the military hill and run the last km down to the finish :o

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Anyone know if there is some element of a bag drop, or can you leave stuff in the club house?

Cant see word of it anywhere.

4 stars (good)
    Anyone know if there is some element of a bag drop, or can you leave stuff in the club house?

Even though you're my enemy tomorrow, you're more than welcome to leave stuff in my car. I'll be in the club house at about 9'45 - 10'00 so we could meet there.

4 stars (good)
    Even though you're my enemy tomorrow, you're more than welcome to leave stuff in my car. I'll be in the club house at about 9'45 - 10'00 so we could meet there.
    haha, good man yourself, thanks :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Usually at Donore races there's a van around somewhere where you can leave bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

4 stars (good)
    edit: scrap that post where I tried to fix wobbles table but failed :P

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Think we missed a fast one in Enfield during the week.gona be a gale tommorow.Can't wait to get back racing :D
    Few lads in Donore said it's not as fast a course as it looks:eek:

4 stars (good)
    Think we missed a fast one in Enfield during the week.gona be a gale tommorow.Can't wait to get back racing :D
    Few lads in Donore said it's not as fast a course as it looks:eek:

Yeh, definite hill back up the military road, from 3.5k on!! So no point killing yourself on the downhill to 3.5k only to blow up with a full k or so to go!

4 stars (good)
    definite hill back up the military road, from 3.5k on!! So no point killing yourself on the downhill to 3.5k only to blow up with a full k or so to go!
    That crazy wind outside will make things interesting too..

But if it was perfect sunshine all the time it would be boring, good to mix it up now and again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

4 stars (good)
    Super race, nice goodie bag, plenty of fruit / drinks / choc at the end too, grand course for the 1st 3.5k and then it got a bit tough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

4 stars (good)
    hawkwing wrote: »
    Yep,almost worth the 15e alone and i don't think they even advertised that there was a goody bag.PB time in 15hrs :)
    PB me hole,knew it was gone after 1k as the wind was behind me then and still not on:( 4th k was as expected where the real damage was done,disappointed with time but race was very good.
    Hideous amount of stuff at the finish,Bananas,apples,chocolate,powerade,bottled water to add to the very generous goody bag already received--all for 15euro.Up there with West Waterford with how to run a race :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

3 stars (average)
    Got hockeyed out of it by the wind and hill in the last mile! Very disappointed with my time initially but I think it was slow times all round? I was 9.25 at 3k and 16.15 at the finish so 6.50 for the last 2k. Says it all really.

4 stars (good)
    delighted with the race 15.57 for 5th place.
    made a move too early up the hill after 3k and suffered halfway up the hill.
    of course im goign to say well organised as it was my club but it was :D
    Splits being called out helped and savage food int he clubhouse after.
    great win by Alan O brien and good to see Vinny Mulvey back racing after long lay off.

4 stars (good)
    Yeh in fairness it was one of the best organized races I have been at in ages, Donore really put in the effort for this, well done to all! Whatever about the net downhill in the race, the wind made it tough going, but interesting!

4 stars (good)
    5/5 for me, can't fault it on anything and for some reason there was a real good vibe about the place. Well done Donore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

4 stars (good)
    Great race and so well run, well done to all involved. Calling out the splits at the km markers was great as I fecked up with my watch. A PB after a week of feeling under the weather so delighted with that :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement