Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 70-200mm F4 L USM V EF-S 55-250mm IS lens

• 14-03-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am an sports photography enthusiast and currently own a EF-S 55-250mm IS lens. I have been saving to buy an L lens but just want some advice before I buy. Birmingham’s have the Canon 70-200mm F4 L USM for sale at a good price and I am tempted to buy.

Question is despite the 50mm less zoom will I get better pictures with the Canon 70-200mm F4 L USM? I am shooting Gaa & Soccer and can get very close to the action.

I know that if I buy a Canon 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 L USM IS I will get super duper shots but I cannot get anywhere close to the cost so I am purely looking for advice on a Canon 70-200mm F4 L USM V EF-S 55-250mm IS lens.

All advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

For sports shots you need a very fast lens, I think you would be best going for a 2.8 lens. A 70-200 f2.8 seeing as you can get close to the action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Maybe a second hand sigma 70-200mm 2.8 is the way to go? You'll get one for 500 or under.
    Ive used neither lens youve mentioned but the 70-200 f4 is said to be one of the shaprest lenses canon have and even though the 50-250 has IS you will be shooting at a speed so high that the IS wont be of benefit. Plus as you go up in range, 100mm, 150mm etc the lowest f stop will increase in the 55-250 therefor letting less light in. Id say its a decent lens in its own right but if your budget allows for the 70-200 go for that. How much is it going for in Berminghams by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

a 70-200 f/2.8 will definitely be much better for sports. You will not need IS - is of no benefit as you'll need to shoot at 1/500 or so anyway to freeze the action.

I have a canon 70-200L non-IS that I am very pleased with. The sigma sounds like good value but I have heard mixed reviews. Fast AF is very, very important, and most lens reviews I have read do not test for it or quote it.

Best of luck & post some pics,

- FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭garden_snapper

Thanks guys. In a pickle alright. Shooting with a Canon 550D and would love to buy the 2.8L but out of my price range. The Canon 70-200mm F4 L USM is €649 in Berminghams. I can afford just about.

Here is a few snaps from yesterday with the EF-S 55-250mm IS Lens
    5526198159_b3f803b1c8_z.jpg
    5526197807_5250fe757a_z.jpg
    5526195933_8f1efa9d5a_z.jpg
    5526788770_1a6a5a6250_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Whats the name of that website where you can compare test shots of canon and sigma lenses at focal lengths and F stops?
    I remember someone posted a link on here before.

The test shots are taken of black and white cards and show sharpness of the lenses.

Quite a good site

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Several sites have such tools. dpreview and The Digital Picture to name a couple.

I'd go with the 70-200 2.8L if you can. There is a mk II version out now. Maybe you can get a good price on the mk I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Good photos there.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help. I lost the plot and am awaiting delivery of a Canon 70-200mm 2.8 L lens which will cost me a lot more than money once the better half does the math on it! Thanks for all your help.

Problem now is the mount ring for a tripod/monopod is €115! Suffering ducks!

Has anyone used one if the imitation ones available on amazon for c€15? I need one but would struggle to pay above the replacement ring price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help. I lost the plot and am awaiting delivery of a Canon 70-200mm 2.8 L lens which will cost me a lot more than money once the better half does the math on it! Thanks for all your help.

Problem now is the mount ring for a tripod/monopod is €115! Suffering ducks!

Has anyone used one if the imitation ones available on amazon for c€15? I need one but would struggle to pay above the replacement ring price.

I havent used either, but do you really want to risk your lens and camera on a cheapo mount ring?

Is it not coming with a mount ring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I havent used either, but do you really want to risk your lens and camera on a cheapo mount ring?

I have a cheap ebay mount ring on my 70-200 F4, works no bother, and is rock solid. I don't see the risk anywhere....

No mount ring to the best of my knowledge. The only disappointment I seen expressed in any review of this lens was that despite the price Canon did not include a mount ring.

I think it will be an eBay job alrigt. Hard to justify over 100 quid for a piece of plastic.

No mount ring to the best of my knowledge. The only disappointment I seen expressed in any review of this lens was that despite the price Canon did not include a mount ring.

I think it will be an eBay job alrigt. Hard to justify over 100 quid for a piece of plastic.

Odd, mine came with one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Mine came with one too, and it's not plastic either....

Hope your rights guys. Tomorrow will tell please God. Really hoping there is one in the box. Like I said I researched the life out of this and alot of reviews said canon stopped supplying the mount ring but I hope I'm wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

+1 for the Canon 70-200L 2.8 non IS.

I got it last year for my sons sport etc and its sharp ;). I use it also with the canon 1.4x ll and it doesn't reduce by much imo. Love the lens, heavy but worth the weight. :rolleyes: Mine came with the mounting ring also. :)

Good Luck with it and hope you get as much enjoyment from it as i do every day

DC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Yeah, I got one with mine too.

There's a MK II version of the 70_200 2.8
    out that's much more expensive. Maybe they've droped the collar on that model.

Advertisement