Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sanity check :D Mame arcade replace with candy cab ?

• 14-03-2011 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

a long time ago I built the following

69573.jpg

Fairly well spec'd except for the crappy work on the speaker covers and monitor size. Its served its purpose well though, and the Sanwa bits and bobs all work perfectly.

However ever since I was in super potato / pics below from the top floor

DSC_0056.jpg
    DSC_0058.jpg

I've wanted a candy cab - preferably one with working yen coin mech etc (i still have tonnes of yen coins). Now this is where my own arcade knowledge becomes limited.
    I would like to have the option to pop in a PCB in the future of Sunset Riders or Bubble Bobble, or even an MVS unit. Can this all be done
    without have to change wiring looms constantly ?

Finally what sort of prices would I be looking at for a Astro City cab for instance ?

or - am I completely mad and should I stick with what I have ?

PS - at the moment this is a bit of a pipe dream, and I would also need to find a home for my existing cab :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

how much wouldya be selling your cab for and what are the dimensions ... looks like a big 'un :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I remember when you made that cab! Must be a while ago now?

Definitely get a candy. They're the nicest cabs in the universe.

You don't see many in Ireland, but Mitchomagic had some for sale. Not sure if he has any left.

As for price, my Atomiswave SD cost €600. Which I think was very reasonable.

And yep, they're set up for JAMMA. (Well my one is anyway). So Neo Geo MVS, Sunset Riders and other JAMMA pcbs aren't a problem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I'm not sure how you would have multiple PCBs/MVS Unit and a Mame PC all connected at once without having to switch the Jamma loom between each. I've certainly connected each of the above to my cab but only one at a time when testing things initially. There's also not a huge amount of space to play with inside them. Mitchomagic and purplec are much better placed to answer than me though.

Prices could range anywhere from €600 to €800 or above depending on whether it has a single or two player control panel and it's overall condition ofcourse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Hygro wrote: »
    how much wouldya be selling your cab for and what are the dimensions ... looks like a big 'un :pac:

:p won't be for sale - I have someone in mind, who I'll be donating it to. If they don't take it, I'll probably throw it up on adverts as a freebie. Dimension wise, its setup at the perfect height for me, but its not deep, as I fitted an LCD instead of a CRT.

It was very cheap to build and I used this website as a guide
    http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/stepprojectmame.htm
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I remember when you made that cab! Must be a while ago now?

Definitely get a candy. They're the nicest cabs in the universe.

You don't see many in Ireland, but Mitchomagic had some for sale. Not sure if he has any left.

As for price, my Atomiswave SD cost €600. Which I think was very reasonable.

And yep, they're set up for JAMMA. (Well my one is anyway). So Neo Geo MVS, Sunset Riders and other JAMMA pcbs aren't a problem.

July 2008 - good memory O1s1in. I'll send Mitch a PM and see what the story is so.

Is there an adapter to go AES to MVS ? as I have a few AES games too, and it would be sweet to play them on a cab.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you would have multiple PCBs/MVS Unit and a Mame PC all connected at once without having to switch the Jamma loom between each. I've certainly connected each of the above to my cab but only one at a time when testing things initially. There's also not a huge amount of space to play with inside them. Mitchomagic and purplec are much better placed to answer than me though.

Prices could range anywhere from €600 to €800 or above depending on whether it has a single or two player control panel and it's overall condition ofcourse.

Cheers Andrew - I guess as long as its do-able I'll be happy enough, even a small form factor pc ? would that fit in amongst it all ?

Finally I've seen a couple of videos on Youtube etc, of guys running Xbox360s through these - how exactly is that accomplished ? or is it a case of completely hacking the unit together ?

ondafly wrote: »
    Cheers Andrew - I guess as long as its do-able I'll be happy enough, even a small form factor pc ? would that fit in amongst it all ?

Finally I've seen a couple of videos on Youtube etc, of guys running Xbox360s through these - how exactly is that accomplished ? or is it a case of completely hacking the unit together ?

Yeah you'll get a small pc in there no hassle, just if you wanted tons of different stuff it could be an issue. Probably better off removing the innards of the pc and screwing it to the board inside the cab.

Not sure at all about the Xbox360 - no idea how you would get the 360 to display on that lovely arcade screen (why you'd want to is another issue, each to their own I guess), same with the controls - not sure how that would work.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You're out of luck on the AES to MVS converter. They only go the other way (MVS > AES) as AES carts are the more expensive ones so nobody runs them in cabs.

The space is limited inside candys, but it's not that bad. You could strip down a pc to its componants and fit it in there.

As for running other things, it's a case by case basis. For example I have a hacked JAMMA Megadrive and a ps1&ps2 > JAMMA adater.

The Atomiswave SD has an interesting feature where there's a VGA input for the monitor. So you could rig up a Dreamcast or a 360 with a 360 > VGA adapter. Although I'm pretty sure there are complete kits you can get for the 360 so the control panel is usable too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

getting a 360 to run in a cab is very easy.

get a 360 with a vga out cable set the screen to 31khz and set the 360 to 480 p.

get an old 360 pad and pad hack it your buttons.

job done and to be honest not too hard.

A Sega Naomi is probably one of the best candys out there and they are real is easy to move around. I have 2 fully setup and a project naomi that im thinking about giving an MVS motif with a ne paint job.

dont discount the Naomi:)

great info folks - I just didn't want to limit myself, if I go candy cab. Really want one now :pac:

Master of the Universe

Doooooooooo it :)

The only problem being one is never enough. They look so lonely by themselves.

sadly I live in an apartment, so 1 is probably all I could probably fit. If I had a house, I would probably do away with the need for a "dining room", and just fill it with cabs :D

I'll be the best in the world though - if I can get it playing Magical Drop 2:p

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

sadly I live in an apartment, so 1 is probably all I could probably fit. If I had a house, I would probably do away with the need for a "dining room", and just fill it with cabs :D

I'll be the best in the world though - if I can get it playing Magical Drop 2:p

Ah Magical Drop 2...that game looks innocent and cute, but a two player game is one of the most vicious things I've ever experienced!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding "Sanity", please watch, especially up at around 2:00, but do watch the whole thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

An cleaner alternative to a 360 padhack (hateful pads they are!), wait until AkihabaraShop.jp has new stock of the PS360 PCB, then wire everything together with DB25 Breakout Boards (get them on eBay).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    An cleaner alternative to a 360 padhack (hateful pads they are!), wait until AkihabaraShop.jp has new stock of the PS360 PCB, then wire everything together with DB25 Breakout Boards (get them on eBay).

Cheers for that - it would be great to play Death Smilies on it.

So lads - anyone want to part with their Taito Egret/Astro City/Atomiswave !?

or

does anyone have links to sites who sell candy cabs ? I've had a look through arcadeotaku.com but they seem a little pricey.

Mitch has one atomiswave left I believe and it looks really well, the other alternative is Ronnie in holland who will ship on a pallet for about 220 euro.

Ronnie has loads of different machines but it can be hit and miss and you are also at the mercy of your courier.

You said you live in an apartment is there a lift because a candy cab is about 100 ~120 kg and then you have door issues

Master of the Universe

purplec wrote: »
    You said you live in an apartment is there a lift because a candy cab is about 100 ~120 kg and then you have door issues

I was worried about that myself, so checked the lift weight where I live. I thought it might only just be able to take the weight of a candy, but it seems it can far surpass it! Up to 675kg. I'd imagine most apartment block lifts should hopefully be something similar.

I was worried about that myself, so checked the lift weight where I live. I thought it might only just be able to take the weight of a candy, but it seems it can far surpass it! Up to 675kg. I'd imagine most apartment block lifts should hopefully be something similar.

Heheh I think he meant you need a lift to carry it in rather than trying to carry it up a load of stairs. :P

Most lifts are around the 600+kg mark, 6-8 (heavy) ppl usually.

/Takes off lift-expert hat. :o

Hey Oisin your right most modern lifts will take about 650 Kg and a safety factor of 20% but if there is no lift 100 kgs is a pain to be lifting up and down a stairs.

Let's just assume a lift is not an issue eh :D.

Heheh I think he meant you need a lift to carry it in rather than trying to carry it up a load of stairs. :P

Most lifts are around the 600+kg mark, 6-8 (heavy) ppl usually.

/Takes off lift-expert hat. :o

Ha you beat me to it, maneuvering through door ways is the reall tricky part in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Ha you beat me to it, maneuvering through door ways is the reall tricky part in my opinion.

Aye true and at least the control panel comes off so that helps a fair bit.

On some of them:eek::mad:

Master of the Universe

Oh haha sorry purplec. It didn't dawn on me that some apartment blocks don't have lifts. That'd be a nightmare!

Oh haha sorry purplec. It didn't dawn on me that some apartment blocks don't have lifts. That'd be a nightmare!

If you want it though you gotta feel the burn lol:D

luckily folks - I live on the ground floor, and I've measured the door widths etc and I should be fine. Sure I've even managed to get the roof off my car into the apartment :D
    Mitch has one atomiswave left I believe and it looks really well, the other alternative is Ronnie in holland who will ship on a pallet for about 220 euro.

Cheers for that PurpleC - do you have a site for Ronnie ? or does anyone know of actual websites that sell them on ? I believe theres one on the way from a guy on arcadeotaku, but that could be months away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well if you need a hand lifting dont worry, I have a vest and I'm not afraid to use it.

I'd like to get a candy cab myself shortly, be nice to see where they can be sorced. I'm just going to assume that someone here will get all the ones mitch and others have for sale here before me

update:

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Sega New Astro City, I'm waiting on pics of it. I believe it is a dual sync monitor,

So a couple of questions
    - am I limiting myself longterm with the New Astro City ? (bear in mind the are exactly what I'm looking for - see OP for pics )
    - is it easy enough to change at a later stage to a tri-sync.
    - can the dual sync run xbox360/ps3 ? I've seen a dreamcast working perfectly

Just trying to cover all the angles really, chances are I'll go down teh road of a jamma harness and possible a multigame cart, but I'd like to have the option of more options :pac:

Master of the Universe

update:

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Sega New Astro City, I'm waiting on pics of it. I believe it is a dual sync monitor,

Nice!!! Is it domestic or are you importing?
    So a couple of questions
    - am I limiting myself longterm with the New Astro City ? (bear in mind the are exactly what I'm looking for - see OP for pics )
    - is it easy enough to change at a later stage to a tri-sync.
    - can the dual sync run xbox360/ps3 ? I've seen a dreamcast working perfectly

Just trying to cover all the angles really, chances are I'll go down teh road of a jamma harness and possible a multigame cart, but I'd like to have the option of more options :pac:

It would be damn expensive to replace that monitor. Have you seen an Astro City running a Dreamcast yeah? That means it was hooked up via VGA so should support a 360..although don't quote me on that!

so I'm having a bit of a 20mm hiccup :o

I had measured all doorways into the apartment, but forgot to measure the one door, that leads to the room where I want the cabinet to go ! Anyway it looks to be 20mm short of the width I need.

However after a bit of research online, I discoverd the following pic (its large, so gonna link to it) of an New Astro city being resprayed etc.

http://www.arcade4home.com/NewAstroCity/side-1.jpg

Anyway - in that picture the lower panel is removed, which includes the control panel. The top bezel is also removed. I'm wondering would it be possible for me to do the same, but leave the monitor in place ? and anything else inside the cabinet also in place.

And does anyone thing that the width in that picture (side on) is less than 730mm ?

BTW I have asked the seller these same questions, but just looking for a 2nd opinion.

• Advertisement

The main question to ask is does the control panel come off, because if it does it should easily fit through any standard door width (with the monitor frame cover still in place). That's how I got mine into the house anyway.

The main question to ask is does the control panel come off, because if it does it should easily fit through any standard door width (with the monitor frame cover still in place). That's how I got mine into the house anyway.

well its a little bit more to it compared to teh new Candys

I would remove this part

http://www.arcade4home.com/NewAstroCity/front-bottom.jpg

just need to know with that part gone, is the overall depth reduced to below 730mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Hey ondafly,
    Do you mind me asking where you got it, and more to the point do they have anymore.
    I'm on the search for a Candy myself. Need to get one soon before the money burns a hole in my pocket

well its a little bit more to it compared to teh new Candys

I would remove this part

http://www.arcade4home.com/NewAstroCity/front-bottom.jpg

just need to know with that part gone, is the overall depth reduced to below 730mm

Sorry I thought the Astro would be pretty similar to the Atomiswave SD. Just did a bit of googling and found this astro city link, if it's the same as the one your looking at then it says the depth including the cp is 35.6inches or a little over 900mm. That seems pretty close to the Atomiswave depth of 903mm. Without the cp it's down to 650mm, without the base that you mention I measure mine to be around 500mm - although the monitor needs to come out too to get down to that. The first pic you linked looks like they've taken out the monitor too?

Anyway, i'll shut up now incase I'm talking rubbish and confusing the issue. :pac:

Hey ondafly,
    Do you mind me asking where you got it, and more to the point do they have anymore.
    I'm on the search for a Candy myself. Need to get one soon before the money burns a hole in my pocket

I don't mind at all - but I don't wanna vouch for someone I haven't fully dealt with yet, so if you like you can wait and see if I get burnt with my one :D or if I can't fit it in my gaff, it will be up for sale pronto !
    Sorry I thought the Astro would be pretty similar to the Atomiswave SD. Just did a bit of googling and found this astro city link, if it's the same as the one your looking at then it says the depth including the cp is 35.6inches or a little over 900mm. That seems pretty close to the Atomiswave depth of 903mm. Without the cp it's down to 650mm, without the base that you mention I measure mine to be around 500mm - although the monitor needs to come out too to get down to that. The first pic you linked looks like they've taken out the monitor too?

Anyway, i'll shut up now incase I'm talking rubbish and confusing the issue. :pac:

no Andy - thats all good info. I'm gonna go for it me thinks. I've sent a request for the bank details, hopefully it doesn't take years to ship this bad boy !

I'm also getting the cabinet upgraded to tri-sync , more of a just in case future proof in case I wanna put deathsmilies on me cab via the 360 :D

Master of the Universe

I've sent a request for the bank details, hopefully it doesn't take years to ship this bad boy !

I'm also getting the cabinet upgraded to tri-sync , more of a just in case future proof in case I wanna put deathsmilies on me cab via the 360 :D

Woohoo! Congrats. I'd say you're pissing yourself with excitement :D

• Advertisement

Excellent stuff dude, congratulations. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I don't mind at all - but I don't wanna vouch for someone I haven't fully dealt with yet, so if you like you can wait and see if I get burnt with my one :D or if I can't fit it in my gaff, it will be up for sale pronto !

no Andy - thats all good info. I'm gonna go for it me thinks. I've sent a request for the bank details, hopefully it doesn't take years to ship this bad boy !

Wise choice, will save you any potential headaches later on.

o1s1n, do you want to embed the obligatory video when someone here buys a Candy, or shall I?? :D

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    o1s1n, do you want to embed the obligatory video when someone here buys a Candy, or shall I?? :D

Do it!!!! :D

must not get excited........... hope we're not jinxing it :pac: because

ondafly-Approves-Candy-Goodness.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=cool-story-bro-house

• Advertisement

must not get excited........... hope we're not jinxing it :pac: because

ondafly-Approves-Candy-Goodness.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=cool-story-bro-house

Excitement & Candy Cabs go hand in hand unfortunately. You can try your best to forget there's one en route, try your best not to imagine tearing off the layers of cellophane to reveal arcade perfection, & try your best not to imagine plugging in a pcb, taking a seat & enjoying what are no doubt the best multi cabs in the world :cool:

EnterNow wrote: »
    FULL VOLUME PLEASE :D

/clip snip

Very good. Still doesn't doesn't manage to get that other "ray gun" tune out of my head though! :pac:

Very good. Still doesn't doesn't manage to get that other "ray gun" tune out of my head though! :pac:

Are you going on a march? :D

I think all this candy talk - means we all need a nice new sig for ourselves, to show off to all we are candy proud :D

Christ though - how am I going to stand the wait for the cab????

Master of the Universe

how am I going to stand the wait for the cab????

Fingers crossed the wait won't be too long. If it is, I fear for your sanity. You will most definitely go mad :)

Fingers crossed the wait won't be too long. If it is, I fear for your sanity. You will most definitely go mad :)

well I contacted the Bank this morning to initiate the rigmoral of transferring funds outside the country - pain in the face, and I really don't want to take time off work to queue in person. So anyway 3 to 5 days before I can use the facility online. Argh ! Hopefully the seller doesn't mind the delay, otherwise I will have to go queue - although if its anything like CiderMans 3DS queue it wouldn't be so bad :pac:

well I contacted the Bank this morning to initiate the rigmoral of transferring funds outside the country - pain in the face, and I really don't want to take time off work to queue in person. So anyway 3 to 5 days before I can use the facility online. Argh ! Hopefully the seller doesn't mind the delay, otherwise I will have to go queue - although if its anything like CiderMans 3DS queue it wouldn't be so bad :pac:

Shame the seller doesn't take paypal or something, queuing in Banks is such a pain in the arse, should be a thing of the past.

I took the below pic yesterday when looking at those measurements for you but forgot to upload it. Not sure if it's much help now or if it's exactly the same as an Astro City, but figured it was worth uploading just incase. (I swear I'm not trying to torture you either! :p)

atomsideon.jpg

Master of the Universe

I love the way they open up like that. Reminds me of the doors on a delorian :)

I love the way they open up like that. Reminds me of the doors on a delorian :)

More like a Venus fly trap, you walk over & go "Oh cool look" and next of all BANG...you want a Candy Cab :D

I could pay by paypal, but seller wanted an additional 4%, so feck that, I'll go the bank route, thinking I could do it all online, but alas no, more delays. Ah well

excellent pic too Andrew76 - the NAC does similiar, but the actual CP sticky out part (technical term of course) is moulded into the lower half, but I've been reliably informed it will be removable without taking the monitor or cables out.

I sent this to O1s1n earlier in the week - but I think now its time to add to thread ! Obvious yellowing on the speaker plastic, but other than that its looking pretty ok for its age !

Image11110002.jpg

I fired up the AES last evening prior to some Minecrafting. I must get myself a single slot MVS for the candy cab though, as at the moment I won't actually have any games to play on it !

• Advertisement
Advertisement