Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sanity check :D Mame arcade replace with candy cab ?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

he was probably looking to cover the costs of transfering from there to his bank. I know if you send through paypal as a "gift" it doesnt take out money. but it might still when moving it from there to the bank.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

ondafly wrote: »
    I could pay by paypal, but seller wanted an additional 4%, so feck that, I'll go the bank route, thinking I could do it all online, but alas no, more delays. Ah well

excellent pic too Andrew76 - the NAC does similiar, but the actual CP sticky out part (technical term of course) is moulded into the lower half, but I've been reliably informed it will be removable without taking the monitor or cables out.

I sent this to O1s1n earlier in the week - but I think now its time to add to thread ! Obvious yellowing on the speaker plastic, but other than that its looking pretty ok for its age !

Image11110002.jpg

I fired up the AES last evening prior to some Minecrafting. I must get myself a single slot MVS for the candy cab though, as at the moment I won't actually have any games to play on it !

Looks gorgeous dude, the big screens are just awesome. :)
    Can't remember if you said already but is the coin mech working on it?

Ahhh, now I understand what you mean about the cp + base - yeah I can see it is one and the same piece (purplec mentioned it earlier too). Blind as a bat I am. :pac:

Have you looked into whether you can get a six button version of the cp down the line? (If that's even an issue for you.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

When you send money instantly via paypal, paypal take a cut of it as a fee. It's always a percentage. So you send more, you pay more. It's grand for small amounts, but for larger ones it can add up.

I found out something very interesting though - you can send a thing called a paypal 'E-Cheque' and you don't get charged like this.

They take a few days to clear like a regular cheque, buy paypal will only charge you a flat rate $5 max.

I received around $600 a while ago after a sale and the seller did it this way. I was confused at first and a bit angry as I wanted the money instantly (never heard of an e cheque at the time! - thought he was messing me about)

But in the end when it cleared I pretty much got all the money bar $5.

ondafly - that cab really is a beauty. It's in great condition. What year are those machines from? Any idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Looks gorgeous dude, the big screens are just awesome. :)
    Can't remember if you said already but is the coin mech working on it?

Ahhh, now I understand what you mean about the cp + base - yeah I can see it is one and the same piece (purplec mentioned it earlier too). Blind as a bat I am. :pac:

Have you looked into whether you can get a six button version of the cp down the line? (If that's even an issue for you.)

Coin mech is working 100% - and its 100yen. If it rejects the 50yen coins, I'll be sending them your way.

I plan on upgrading the control panel to this in the long term. You have the option of buying the CP with new sticks and buttons, or just the panel itself. I need to check what size buttons on are it, I have a feeling they are the slightly slimmer diameter ones compard to what I have already though.

AstroCity2L12BFrontBack%28Big%29.jpg
    o1s1n wrote: »

ondafly - that cab really is a beauty. It's in great condition. What year are those machines from? Any idea?

I believe the machine is from 1995 - stand to be corrected though !

Excellent stuff. That 6button cp looks cool too.

Master of the Universe

I'm such a loner with my one player control panel :(

I'm such a loner with my one player control panel :(

for you O1s1n - Forever alone guy :p

Anyway on to a more important note. I have a pleasant conundrum !

Seeing as the bank has delayed me somewhat in this purchase, a number of things have happened. I learned all about tri-sync'ing for instance. However 2 people I had contacted prior to the New Astro City potential purchase, finally got back to me.

1) Another NAC from the UK - similiar money, so not interested.

2) I've been given the chance to purchase an Atomiswave

So folks - which would you go for Atomiswave or New Astro City ?

for you O1s1n - Forever alone guy :p

Anyway on to a more important note. I have a pleasant conundrum !

Seeing as the bank has delayed me somewhat in this purchase, a number of things have happened. I learned all about tri-sync'ing for instance. However 2 people I had contacted prior to the New Astro City potential purchase, finally got back to me.

1) Another NAC from the UK - similiar money, so not interested.

2) I've been given the chance to purchase an Atomiswave

So folks - which would you go for Atomiswave or New Astro City ?

Is the Atomiswave in similarly good nick as the NAC you were thinking of buying - screen ok? Coin mech working? Does it have a 2 player cp or single?
    Does the cp come off the Atomiswave without the base coming off with it? If yes then it'll be easier to get into your place.

The Atomiswave is actually a single player, screen 100%, coin mech working. So it would be the same as O1s!n. I'd have to pickup an Egret 2 player 6button CP though

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I'd have to pickup an Egret 2 player 6button CP though

From chatting with Mitch, I think you'd also need a two player JAMMA harness too.

Those Egret 2 player CPs seem to be harder to come across than I had originally thought. Might have to get onto someone from Arcade Otaku.

Not sure if it makes a difference but the Atomiswave SD is a rebranded Egret 3, not an Egret 2? Does that help in relation to the harness and/or cp?

From http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sammy_Atomiswave_SD:
    The default control panel is a 1L6B with a custom memory card reader, used for some Atomiswave games. The control panel housing is compatible with Taito Egret 2, Egret 3, and also Sega Astro/Blast/Naomi Panels. These are commonly seen fitted with a 2L12B Egret 3 panel for two player functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

you can use an e3 contol panel which is all that you will find these days all that is different is the cpo ! bare in mind that these can be quite expensive though 100+ quid populated? sega panel do fit but not an exact match so look awful!

yup you need to convert the harness to support the additional inputs.

effectively you would need a combination of:

http://www.arcadespareparts.com/arcade_parts/machine_parts/egret_control_panel/12024.html <- not currently available but are from japan coming it at €240

Plus the overlay to look legit

http://triplemoonstar.brinkster.net/theshed/default.asp?stockid=2286

You can fit an Egret2/Astro etc on the Atomiswave, however there is a slight corner issue on the CP - the Atomiswave and Egret 3s are slightly longer, so you are left with a gap, which to be honest would be crap !

For information - you can pickup a 2player6button for an New Astro for about €140

if you place a wanted thread over on AO you might get lucky and get the metal plate for alot lot cheaper ,Their is also akihabarashop which are better than arcade spare parts or starcad which people have mixed feelings about as some of the panels aren't great but they are repo's.
    http://www.starcab.net/product_info.php?cPath=219_217&products_id=826
    a harness is an easy enough and very cheap change over !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

the Atomiswave and Egret 3s are slightly longer, so you are left with a gap, which to be honest would be crap !

For information - you can pickup a 2player6button for an New Astro for about €140

Doesnt look that bad and Andy sellys egret side art, I have an Egret 2 light box that I would be willing to part with

• Advertisement

also the player 2 harness is just a standard player 2 haness that you will pick up for roughly 20 euro.

Anyway HTH.

You

also the player 2 harness is just a standard player 2 haness that you will pick up for roughly 20 euro.

Anyway HTH.

You could always take the 1 player panel to a metal workers get them to cut the panle out in 3 or 4 mild steel and populate it yourself and just buy an egret 2 overlay.

For what you want I think you need a 2 player 16 button panel, Which is 2 player s 7 buttons and a start each.

Its cool for MVS games and blazblue type fighters.

cheers for that PurpleC

I got a little impatient though having not heard a definite price etc on the Atomiswave so I ended up transferring the money over for the New Astro City, its also coming with a 2 slot MVS which is a nice surprise too.

what have I done :o:pac:

I wonder what are the chances of getting the OK at home, to give the NAC a friend, as in a Atomiswave cab when it comes up for sale ;)

i cant remember exactly what way the astro is wired and if the 2 slots has a sound ouput options for mono and stereo, but just be aware that jamma is wired for mono sound output, neo-geo 1 slot is mono output but the 2 slots up to 6 are stereo output it can damage the sound on the mb if plugged straight in i'd just check first,sorry for the vagueness i'm tired and cant remember.

the seller did mention this to me, and has rewired the system, so hopefully he knows what hes doing. I had planned on changing the Astro to Stereo also.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I was out in my parents for the first time in a while the other day. My poor Atomiswave was covered in a layer of dust and had some things stacked on top of it, an ironing board up beside it and a picture frame on the control panel.

Philistines!

They also said that if I don't move it out of their kitchen soon, they'll stick it up on adverts.

I swear to god, if anyone here buys a candy based in Bray I'm coming for you! :D

I was out in my parents for the first time in a while the other day. My poor Atomiswave was covered in a layer of dust and had some things stacked on top of it, an ironing board up beside it and a picture frame on the control panel.

Philistines!

They also said that if I don't move it out of their kitchen soon, they'll stick it up on adverts.

I swear to god, if anyone here buys a candy based in Bray I'm coming for you! :D

The lack of respect from yer folks is shocking! :pac:
    Hopefully the screen is well protected? They have a dog about the place too didn't you say? Hope your cab won't be getting any piss stains on it like that ebay Vectrex linked here a while ago. :eek:

Master of the Universe

Well if it's anything like that Vectrex, the pissy smell will only make it sell for more!

Thankfully the dogs are well trained, so wouldn't dream of pissing in the house. I'm more afraid of my mother using it to stack stuff. Seems that if there's a flat surface somewhere, she'll put something on it. That was one benefit of the last cabinet having a sloped CP :D . Although, if memory serves me correctly, the sticks may have been used like coat hangers.

As I haven't seen it in a while I'd almost kind of forgotten how mind blownly awesome it looks. Spent a while lovingly cleaning it down and getting all the dust off. Then about 5 minutes staring at the blank screen while messing about with the joystick, shouting -

'pew pew, pew pew! Machine gun! pew pew pew! (and other Neo Geo sound effects)'

Okay maybe not, but almost :D

Today is D-Day ! perhaps I am jinx'ing by posting that. Its supposed to arrive at some stage today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

To be honest if you have a cab i believe you should buy Arcade games for it and not just put a pc in it, Like why someone would want to do that is beyond me, when you can get some lovley Cps2 boards

super-street-fighter-2-turbo-x-cps2-a-jamma-pcb-working_220741588550.jpg

And if you get a candy cab that would be a measure slap in the face to it, putting a pc init, if your looking for one i suggest renting a van and going to London and picking one up from a arcade distrubuter I know a few good ones i used to do major business with back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

appleidog wrote: »
    To be honest if you have a cab i believe you should buy Arcade games for it and not just put a pc in it, Like why someone would want to do that is beyond me, when you can get some lovley Cps2 boards

Why not keep in Jamma and then you can put a pc/xbox360 and jamma boards into it.
    I'm fairly sure thats what Ondafly plans on doing. whats the point in restricting yourself to mega expensive Cps2 boards when you can have the best of both/three worlds!!!

Ohh Ondafly, keep us updated on how you get on taking that bad boy apart to get in the door.I'll be in the same boat soon

boom :D Happy as a pig in the proverbial. Thanks to everyone for help, and for taking phone calls ;)

photo-3.jpg

came with 4 slot MVS ! no screen burn, free MVS game (Samurai Shodown), coin bucket, sega key etc

Delighted !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Why not keep in Jamma and then you can put a pc/xbox360 and jamma boards into it.
    I'm fairly sure thats what Ondafly plans on doing. whats the point in restricting yourself to mega expensive Cps2 boards when you can have the best of both/three worlds!!!

Ohh Ondafly, keep us updated on how you get on taking that bad boy apart to get in the door.I'll be in the same boat soon

1st Cps2 boards aren't that expensive when comparing it to the neo geo and they are just Awesome, (Hugs My Super street fighter 2 )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Where did you get that from again? I'm ordering mine in a few weeks and still havent fully decided where to get it from.

Looks great by the way, I'm extremely jealous :p

1st Cps2 boards aren't that expensive when comparing it to the neo geo and they are just Awesome, (Hugs My Super street fighter 2 )

What cab are you using them in ? I do plan on getting one CPS board at some stage, purely just for SF2 or one of the variants of SF2
    Steve SI wrote: »
    Where did you get that from again? I'm ordering mine in a few weeks and still havent fully decided where to get it from.

Looks great by the way, I'm extremely jealous :p

cheers mate - got it from Ronnie in Holland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

What cab are you using them in ? I do plan on getting one CPS board at some stage, purely just for SF2 or one of the variants of SF2

cheers mate - got it from Ronnie in Holland.

I'll probably end up getting it from Ronnie as well.

How long did it take to get to Ireland? Its pricey to ship it from Ronnie but he seems to be the best to get them from if you cant source one in Ireland.

Master of the Universe

Lovely cab! I'd say you're delighted alright. If it came with a 4 slot MVS board then get buying carts, most of them aren't very expensive at all.

Ah now, I love CPS2 boards too, but they're a lot more expensive than Neo Geo MVS carts. Aliens Versus Predator cost me about €130. My most expensive Neo Geo cart was Blazing Star at €50.

/Edit - by the way, haven't seen you posting here in ages! Good to see you back ;)

Steve SI wrote: »
    I'll probably end up getting it from Ronnie as well.

How long did it take to get to Ireland? Its pricey to ship it from Ronnie but he seems to be the best to get them from if you cant source one in Ireland.

I think it took the guts of 2 weeks
    Lovely cab! I'd say you're delighted alright. If it came with a 4 slot MVS board then get buying carts, most of them aren't very expensive at all.
    ;)

cheers O1s1n - actually have that 111 in 1 MVS from arcademachines.ie in it currently, another 5 or 6 MVS carts.

What seat/stool do you use btw ?

Master of the Universe

cheers O1s1n - actually have that 111 in 1 MVS from arcademachines.ie in it currently, another 5 or 6 MVS carts.

What seat/stool do you use btw ?

Oh! Meant to ask, I take it that 111 in 1 MVS board is working alright in the four slot yeah? All of my MVS carts are packed away now for a while, so I might have to get one of them. Was unsure if it would work in my multislot.

Only thing, I have a 6 slot MVS. Good luck to me fitting one of them into a candy!

I haven't gotten around to sorting stools yet as my cab still isn't working :( Let me know if you come across anything nice. I do have a little fold out one that I got in Dunnes which would work, but it wouldn't look the prettiest.

She looks like a beauty..fair play.
    Did you have to take front plastics and cp off to get it in.also did you take monitor out
    If so was there any pitfalls you came across. I've heard the screws can be an absolute bugger to take off

Oh! Meant to ask, I take it that 111 in 1 MVS board is working alright in the four slot yeah? All of my MVS carts are packed away now for a while, so I might have to get one of them. Was unsure if it would work in my multislot.

Only thing, I have a 6 slot MVS. Good luck to me fitting one of them into a candy!

I haven't gotten around to sorting stools yet as my cab still isn't working :( Let me know if you come across anything nice. I do have a little fold out one that I got in Dunnes which would work, but it wouldn't look the prettiest.

its working fine - no issues at all. My only issue with the MVS, is the cabinet isn't wired with a select cartridge button. I'll have to wire one in.

I'll be heading to IKEA at the weekend, so I'll pickup something at least. I'll post pics if they are half way decent :pac:
    She looks like a beauty..fair play.
    Did you have to take front plastics and cp off to get it in.also did you take monitor out
    If so was there any pitfalls you came across. I've heard the screws can be an absolute bugger to take off

Here is it coming through the first door way :pac: 800mm wide

IMG_0452.jpg

All the screws seem to be new on mine, except for the Torx ones. I'll be taking it apart at the weekend to fit it through the interior doors.

Update !

I spent all of yesterday cleaning the cabinet. Today we took it apart completely, we had to take the monitor out (2 man job defo) also to enable splitting the top and bottom apart. Actually wasn't too difficult at all, however the screws were a b1tch. I used my trusty Teng socket set and managed to get them all out with out stripping any. I did manage to break a screw driver on one of the infamous JIS screws so beware !

I took plenty of pics, and over the next few days I'll stick them up, both for info, but to help identify parts etc.

here we go

so first off - this is the bottom half of the cabinet. The control panel is removed, and we unbolted the monitor from the top part and seperated the 2 halves.

IMG_1413.jpg

You can see its possible to leave almost everything inside and all I really needed to do was disconnect the VGA and molex plug to the monitor, unplug the speakers and lights and unscrew the parts. We didn't want to chance leaving the monitor in place on the top half, so we took that out also.

back of the monitor - old Tosh tube with Rodotron chasis (gives me the tri-sync )

IMG_1414.jpg

I have a shoe box from IKEA which we've had for a year or two. It just so happens to fit perfectly with the cabinet !

IMG_1410.jpg

Here it is at present - nice little bit of space for it

IMG_1419.jpg

I did a test run of the xbox 360 running Deathsmiles through the VGA. Worked fine, I now need to get myself a new CP for the extra buttons, and 2 xbox pads to hack. I also have no idea how I'm going to get the sound up and running ?

IMG_1421.jpg

Only problem so far - is convergence I think ? bottom right hand corner is a bit squashed. Tried moving the POTS under the CP and they didn't really help

IMG_1427.jpg

Are these the POTS I should be looking at to change it ? The 5 white knobs ?

IMG_1415.jpg

Master of the Universe

I had a cable ages ago to run my 360 on an LCD panel via VGA. The cable had wires coming out of it to go to speakers. You could always just do that, and have a couple of extra PC speakers sitting inside the cab somewhere for when you're using the 360?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

super-street-fighter-2-turbo-x-cps2-a-jamma-pcb-working_220741588550.jpg

On a completely unrelated note:

That is one sexy piece of sexiness.

Master of the Universe

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    On a completely unrelated note:

That is one sexy piece of sexiness.

Sexy, but they're the most annoying things in the world to store, EVAR! I'd love to buy more but they're just too damn big.

I had a cable ages ago to run my 360 on an LCD panel via VGA. The cable had wires coming out of it to go to speakers. You could always just do that, and have a couple of extra PC speakers sitting inside the cab somewhere for when you're using the 360?

I could do that - but where would the challenge be :pac: Ideally I want a switch type box inside, that will change it between Jamma/MVS/Xbox360 input for sound/picture/controls

The current xbox vga cable has 2 phono outs for left and right audio. Need to find a nice neath way to patch them into the amp and out through the speakers on the NAC

Dude you got to remember it's only a candy arcade machine not the entrance to Narnia if you cram in too much something is bound to short.

My 2 cents

Yeah I'm getting a regular astro so it does not have an amp.
    I am thinking for xbox360 i could just hook two jacks from the vga cable into one of these which you can get on ebay for less than a tenner.
    $(KGrHqJ,!joE1K(oNOj0BNY1-hLZgg~~_12.JPG

Quick question to people in the know.
    If you play a candy with no board (eg xbox360) can it damage machine/PS due to insufficient load. I've heard this banded around before

Hey

Well depends on the type of psu some expensive ones have a 5 volt led that stops the psu burning out without a board been installed.

Then there is the ones that go fizz bang smoke game over :eek:

It's a dodgy situation

• Advertisement

Cheers for that.
    must find out if my Cab has this type of PSU in it.
    So is it the LED in these PSU's that takes current from the 5v. If so can you not just get some sort of 5V led and wire and attach it to Jamma connector so it is loaded.
    Please excuse the electrical ignorance:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 luscaa

lads how do i get in contact with ronnie in holland,these cabinets are the mutts nuts
    thanks

Advertisement