Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power for automated gates

Options
  • 14-03-2011 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    I have some 3 core 1.5 SWA left over, armoured, is this only good enough to power lights, or could it power auto gates if needed. I want to run it about 40 meteres from house. Just wondering.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

tred wrote: »
    Folks,
    I have some 3 core 1.5 SWA left over, armoured, is this only good enough to power lights, or could it power auto gates if needed. I want to run it about 40 meteres from house. Just wondering.

I think you will find that the volt drop will be excessive, but that will depend on the size of the load.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

Also you'll need to satisfy fault loop impedance values

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

So basically you are saying dont even bother....

thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

tred wrote: »
    So basically you are saying dont even bother....

thanks

Basically you have not given enough information to answer the question!

It is not possible to size a cable correcly if you do not know what size the load is!

I think you should get an electrician to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

If it's home gate, not industrial 3x1.5 it's ok Sliding motor take max 3 A when it's working, swing gate take max 6A on work, 3 A each motor. And you open gate few times per day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement