Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A deluded religious nutjob's view on Japan.. Or badly timed troll.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

stimpson wrote: »
    They just posted her address. That's freedom of speech. I don't understand how you can support her right to free speech yet deny someone else the same right because you disagree with their motives.

A group called anonymous cannot understand the idea of anonymity?

If the girl wanted her details exposed she would have. Instead a group who value their own anonymity for fear of retribution form others who disagree with them chose to deny the aninymity of someone who disagreed with them in order to expose her to retribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

A group called anonymous cannot understand the idea of anonymity?

If the girl wanted her details exposed she would have. Instead a group who value their own anonymity for fear of retribution form others who disagree with them chose to deny the aninymity of someone who disagreed with them in order to expose her to retribution.

If she wanted to be anonymous - she' should have worn a mask, or disguised her name somehow.

I assume that if she's stupid enough to believe in a vengeful god that would smite a nation for not believing in him then she's stupid enough to post her address online with her unique username somewhere online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

If she wanted to be anonymous - she' should have worn a mask, or disguised her name somehow.

I assume that if she's stupid enough to believe in a vengeful god that would smite a nation for not believing in him then she's stupid enough to post her address online with her unique username somewhere online.

I can almost guarantee that she herself didn't post her address anywhere. Anonymous is a hacker group ffs, you do the math-- they didn't obtain it in a straightforward manner, I can tell you that much, and the reasons for posting her address are clearly to harass her or 'punish' her for daring to say something Anonymous doesn't agree with.

For people who love their own anonymity they are absolutely sickening hypocrites, and frankly, just messed up people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

You have so painfully missed the point it's horrible. Statements like this easily put you on par with the racists and the idiots who are throwing out this sh!te.

nothing racist about her statement nor mine...she's referring to a natural disaster here. her belief that god was responsible is not racist..she's entitled to her beliefs..america breed people with this mind set. americans are retarded. you got to remember america dropped an A Bomb on civilians..they deserve the same in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

liah wrote: »
    I can almost guarantee that she herself didn't post her address anywhere. Anonymous is a hacker group ffs, you do the math-- they didn't obtain it in a straightforward manner, I can tell you that much, and the reasons for posting her address are clearly to harass her or 'punish' her for daring to say something Anonymous doesn't agree with.

For people who love their own anonymity they are absolutely sickening hypocrites, and frankly, just messed up people.

Her user name is tamtampamela. Her name is Pamela and she lives in Tampa. You do the math. It's not as if you have to register your contact details when you set up a youtube account.

Stupid kid goes online to preach religious hate thinking there will be no personal consequences. She'll be no great loss to society.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

In fairness, anyone in their right minds would not agree with this idiot.

Maybe this will teach her that actions have consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Im getting the next flight over to America to beat her up.

Her user name is tamtampamela. Her name is Pamela and she lives in Tampa. You do the math. It's not as if you have to register your contact details when you set up a youtube account.

Stupid kid goes online to preach religious hate thinking there will be no personal consequences. She'll be no great loss to society.

Exactly-- you don't have to register your contact details when you set up a YouTube account, insofar as I seriously doubt her address was there, so how do you reckon they found the right person? There's probably plenty of people in Tampa named Pamela. Pretty popular name in North America.

Anonymous has absolutely no right to harass someone because they disagree with them. She's not harassing anyone else and therefore doesn't deserve to be harassed. End of. Anonymous is wrong, and so is internet vigilantism-- they have no right to decide who gets to say what, and they are not in the position to punish anyone for stating their opinions and beliefs. Especially considering they've driven people (children, even) to suicide. Still think they're great?

karma_ wrote: »
    In fairness, anyone in their right minds would not agree with this idiot.

Maybe this will teach her that actions have consequences.

Of course no one would agree with her, but it still doesn't mean the consequences Anonymous are imposing upon her are fair in any way, shape, or form. She is not harassing anyone else, she is posting videos on her own channel with her own opinion and her own beliefs, and that is not a crime. That's called free speech, and everyone is entitled to it without being policed by the government or vigilantes.

Encouraging vigilantism will lead down a very, very slippery slope, and into mob mentality and mob rule-- how would you feel if Anonymous took issue with an opinion you expressed on your own YouTube channel (imagine Anonymous were Christian, and you atheist, in the same scenario) and started harassing you? Would you still be saying actions have consequences and take the months of phone calls, emails, hate mail, vandalism and reputation ruination or would you be invoking freedom of speech because you have a right to express yourself just like everyone else?

Why do you believe Anonymous is right to exact the consequences? Why do you believe it is their place to do so? Why do you believe they should have the right to decide who speaks and who doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Rule #1 in Internet Usage

Please do not troll the internet, you will be found and any details of you logged on the web since your very 1st day will be brought out in full view of the net.

Anonymous is just a label some individuals go out and mask themselves under like they're fulfilling some right justice in cases like this. "Ooooh, I'll hack a YouTuber or Facebook page and leave a calling card of Anonymous, LOL!"

Whether the girl is being a troll or not the best course of action is to just ignore her............something people can't seem to do anymore without having to get one up on the person. In this case, posting her personal details up on the web which is utterly stupid.

Anon fight for "FREE SPEECH" on the web but in reality they take it upon themselves to police it when they don't agree with individual's views.

It's astonishing to see that people completely don't get why what they do is wrong and actually defend their actions.

Who the hell died and made Anonymous the decider of right and wrong? Did I miss a memo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I disagree with what this girl says in the video

I disagree with Anonymous' vigilanteism

But at the end of the day, if you're going to put up videos on You Tube like this one, whether trolling or not trolling, you are looking for a response! Otherwise, why post them? Why not video yourself and keep them on your Hard Drive?

She asked for a response and she's gonna get quite a few. iI have no sympathy for her whatsoever!

It's astonishing to see that people completely don't get why what they do is wrong and actually defend their actions.

Who the hell died and made Anonymous the decider of right and wrong? Did I miss a memo?

Who says this is Anonymous anyway?

Sounds more like a 4Chan job if anything. Anonymous I have found always release a press statement in regard to anything they perform and they were reluctant to get involved in the whole westboro baptist church thing so I doubt very much this is them at all.

Still in saying that I would rather have a world with Anonymous than one without.

Tbh, the Internet is like Vegas. What happens on the internet, stays on the internet. It shouldn't cross over into real life until they're actually doing something legitimately illegal, which she wasn't. I'd support a tirade of internet abuse on her YouTube channel, but posting her home address for the entire world to see is way, way over the line.

Tbh, the Internet is like Vegas. What happens on the internet, stays on the internet. It shouldn't cross over into real life until they're actually doing something legitimately illegal, which she wasn't. I'd support a tirade of internet abuse on her YouTube channel, but posting her home address for the entire world to see is way, way over the line.

Absolutely not! If I send someone a Facebook message calling them a c*nt-headed knob jockey, I fully expect to get called upon it next time I see them.

The Internet is not some imaginary place, it's a medium for communication! It would be like saying "Ah, sure I was on the phone when I said that! What happens on the phone STAYS on the phone!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

She is clearly trolling come on like!!!

jay-me wrote: »

If so, it makes her Japan video kinda worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

jay-me wrote: »

yep.. has to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Someone linked me to this the other. After some discussion we found her profile on her church's web forum which made her look pretty legit and not a troll. Can't find the link now though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The Internet is not some imaginary place, it's a medium for communication! It would be like saying "Ah, sure I was on the phone when I said that! What happens on the phone STAYS on the phone!"

Is that why all board user's names and addresses are easily available to all other members then? So next time there is a row you can go round with a hurley and sort it out?

TV and Radio are media for communication but you don't have DJ's and presenters giving out their home address on every programme just so disgruntled viewers/listeners can 'call them' on something they said.

Stupid video but again, don't see what right anyone has to basically make her a target in real life. Some people have little to do with themselves (making the stupid video or posting her info online).

Absolutely not! If I send someone a Facebook message calling them a c*nt-headed knob jockey, I fully expect to get called upon it next time I see them.

Er, not quite the same thing. First of all, they are making a personal attack on you, which is not what she has done, and second of all, I sincerely doubt you would gather thousands of people to direct attacks at their home address, send them hatemail, tie up their phone line all day with threats, vandalize their home, and ruin their reputation in their personal life as well as their internet life. You can verbally disagree with someone all you damn well want, but harassment is a different ballgame: nobody deserves harassment for expressing their personal opinion, no matter how unpopular those personal opinions may be. I'm actually stunned that anyone could think what Anonymous does is right and still claim to believe in freedom of speech.

And this isn't Facebook, where you know who's on your friend list, and the person has already made a personal attack on you. She doesn't personally know anyone there. She hasn't personally attacked anyone who's now harassing her.

What they are doing is wrong if you agree with the concept of freedom of speech, simple as tbh.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    Is that why all board user's names and addresses are easily available to all other members then? So next time there is a row you can go round with a hurley and sort it out?

TV and Radio are media for communication but you don't have DJ's and presenters giving out their home address on every programme just so disgruntled viewers/listeners can 'call them' on something they said.

You are free to give out your details on the internet or hide them, just as you are free to have your number visible when you ring somebody or use a "Private Number".

To think that you should not be held responsible for things you say and do on the Internet is ridiculous! Again, the Internet is not some kind of tangible place. All it is is a massive collection of inter-connected computers. I should be held responsible for what I say to you here the same way I would if we were both holding tin-can telephones! The only difference between the 2 is distance!

Er, not quite the same thing. First of all, they are making a personal attack on you, which is not what she has done, and second of all, I sincerely doubt you would gather thousands of people to direct attacks at their home address, send them hatemail, tie up their phone line all day with threats, vandalize their home, and ruin their reputation in their personal life as well as their internet life. You can verbally disagree with someone all you damn well want, but harassment is a different ballgame: nobody deserves harassment for expressing their personal opinion, no matter how unpopular those personal opinions may be. I'm actually stunned that anyone could think what Anonymous does is right and still claim to believe in freedom of speech.

And this isn't Facebook, where you know who's on your friend list, and the person has already made a personal attack on you. She doesn't personally know anyone there. She hasn't personally attacked anyone who's now harassing her.

What they are doing is wrong if you agree with the concept of freedom of speech, simple as tbh.

Again, there is no proof this is the work of Anonymous (or is there?).

I understand some folk may not like Anonymous, but why tirade against them for something they may not have done.

You are free to give out your details on the internet or hide them, just as you are free to have your number visible when you ring somebody or use a "Private Number".

To think that you should not be held responsible for things you say and do on the Internet is ridiculous! Again, the Internet is not some kind of tangible place. All it is is a massive collection of inter-connected computers. I should be held responsible for what I say to you here the same way I would if we were both holding tin-can telephones! The only difference between the 2 is distance!

You're not getting it.

No one's saying people shouldn't disagree with her. By all means, if you run into her in the street, give her a peace of your mind, or leave comments on her YouTube page. But what has she done to deserve threatening phone calls, vandalism, and her entire personal life strewn across the internet for months, as will surely be the result of this? And why do you believe Anonymous has the right to be targeting harassment at whoever they disagree with? What if they disagreed with, say, evolution, and started directing months' worth of threats, calls, vandalism at you for expressing this and saying there may not be a god? Would you still think they're just and right then?

Do you agree with freedom of speech or don't you? If you do, you should clearly be able to see why Anonymous has crossed a line by posting her home address for the entire world to see for no reason other than they disagree with her personal opinion. If you don't, well, I'm glad I don't live in the country in which you vote.

I'm not defending them, i've already said I don't disagree with their vigilanteism.

But at the end of the day, saying something to someone you don't know on the internet or on the phone or whatever makes no difference!

You shouldn't just be automatically protected just because you chose to use a computer to put your point across!

(and again, i'm not defending them, i'm just talking about your "stays on the internet" comment, i don't think it's valid!)

karma_ wrote: »
    Again, there is no proof this is the work of Anonymous (or is there?).

I understand some folk may not like Anonymous, but why tirade against them for something they may not have done.

Just replace anywhere I've said 'Anonymous' with 'internet vigilantes' and it all still applies across the board. Internet vigilantism in cases like these is selfish, foolish and short-sighted.

You're not getting it.

No, YOU'RE not getting it!

I've already said I don't agree with their vigilanteism, twice!

I never said she deserves to be harrassed.

My problem was with the "what happens on the internet, stays on the internet" comment.

If I made a comment about someone on the Internet and it got traced back to me, I would have no excuse! Just because websites allow me some level of anonymity! The same on the phone!

just because I chose a computer to put across my point, it should not absolve me from "real world" responsibility!

You shouldn't just be automatically protected just because you chose to use a computer to put your point across!

You also should not be harassed by thousands of people at your home for expressing a personal opinion or viewpoint, no matter how unpopular it is. It's simply not right.

Again, I'm not saying she should be protected from people expressing their opinion right back in person or online, but that right stops at her doorstep, and Anonymous (or whoever has done it) has crossed the threshold and therefore is in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

If you are going to rejoice over the death of thousands, and post youtube videos doing so while making yourself easily found on the internet, you asked for it imo.

Shes no different to an extremist muslim rejoicing over 9/11.

Also I thought 4chan and anonymous were largely the same thing? Meh, I care little about them, generally remain neutral about such things although I admit it brings a smirk to my face when I see idiots getting what they asked for at the hands of other idiots.

You also should not be harassed by thousands of people at your home for expressing a personal opinion or viewpoint, no matter how unpopular it is. It's simply not right.

Again, I'm not saying she should be protected from people expressing their opinion right back in person or online, but that right stops at her doorstep, and Anonymous (or whoever has done it) has crossed the threshold and therefore is in the wrong.

I've never said otherwise! And yes, it is kind of hypocritical that they say Free Soeech this and that, but then post her details because they don't like her.

But personally, I have no sympathy for her. She's putting herself out there looking for a reaction. Whether trolling or not! She needs to be careful what she prays wishes for

• Advertisement

I just think it sets a very, very dangerous precedent to encourage this kind of thing, even by passively getting enjoyment out of it or saying things like 'she's getting what she deserves'-- there really shouldn't be anything enjoyable about the idea that speech is, effectively, being censored by a mob that has no set laws or boundaries, and thinking that someone deserves to have their home targeted for expressing an opinion flies directly in the face of free speech and the timeless "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it," and it really worries me to see so many people endorse it.

I have sympathy for her insofar that I do not believe at all it deserved to cross over into her home. I do not have sympathy for her points of view, but that's why I give them no time. I do not derive enjoyment out of seeing harassment lauded.

Lots of people missing the bigger picture here.

Advertisement