Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pagan Federation Ireland Spring Equinox Open Ritual 2011

Options
  • 14-03-2011 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭

http://paganfederationireland.webs.com/upcomingevents.htm
    Spring Equinox

Open Ritual 2011

An open ritual celebration of the Spring Equinox will be held on the Hill of Tara, on Saturday, the 19th March 2011, beginning at 8.00 pm.

All Pagans of goodwill are welcome to attend.

Attendees are invited to bring a small piece of dry native wood

from their home area to place in the fire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭hogflem

I did my bit on the census,lets hope some good comes from it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The Grey man

Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone can fill me in on the running of the Irish Pagan Federation.

Seems to be run by just one guy.
    Do they have any meetings ???
    Do they have a committee ??
    What is their membership ??
    What are they doing to promote paganism in Ireland ???

I am a regular reader pf Pagan Dawn and The Pagan Federation UK/ Districts seem to always hold promotional events/conferences/AGM's etc.
    The Pagan Federation Ireland seems to be non existant by comparison

any thoughts ??....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone can fill me in on the running of the Irish Pagan Federation.

Seems to be run by just one guy.
    Do they have any meetings ???
    Do they have a committee ??
    What is their membership ??
    What are they doing to promote paganism in Ireland ???

Why not contact them and ask?
    I am a regular reader pf Pagan Dawn and The Pagan Federation UK/ Districts seem to always hold promotional events/conferences/AGM's etc.
    The Pagan Federation Ireland seems to be non existant by comparison

any thoughts ??....

It fell out of favour a while back when it was held by two people who were not Irish and rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Yeah they were an odd couple,though in fairness,It didn't help when certain people started bringing guitars to moots and started singing rebel songs and sprouting republican dogma,I know this because I witnessed it on at least two occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

It is unfortunate that it is seen as a 'british' thing, as while it did start in the UK it is present in many countries.

Welcome to www.paganfederation.org - the
    Pagan Federation International

Please select the site you would like to visit, or come and join us on our forum:

Australia / Oceania
    Austria
    Belgium
    Canada
    Colombia
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    France
    Finland / Suomi
    Germany
    Hungary
    Ireland
    Italy
    Malta
    Mexico
    The Netherlands

New Zealand
    Panama
    Poland
    Portugal
    Romania
    Russia
    Scandinavia
    Scotland
    Slovakia
    South Africa
    South America
    Spain
    Turkey
    United Kingdom
    United States of America

But at the time treating Ireland as an add on to the UK one and expecting people to travel to the UK for events rather then running events here didn't help and yes there were people being idiots on both side.

But fair play to those involved at the moment, for persisting running events and for getting the first pagan solmoniser for legal weddings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Yeah,fair play to them, It's very hard to get Druids,Witches,Shamans,Heathens,ect, to agree on anything,never mind an appropriate place to sit and play nice for a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

Sharrow wrote: »
    Why not contact them and ask?

+1. I'm sure they would be more than happy to have more folks devoted to the organization. I suspect the relatively low profile is more of an indication of a lack of dedication and discipline on behalf of the Irish-Pagan-public, rather than a reflection on the (very) few people who are actively, and regularly, trying to promote paganism in the country.

Put another way, what have YOU done to promote and support Paganism in Ireland?

I'm not asking in a facetious way - this is something I'm also asking myself. I've started a Wicklow Moot, as well as attended PFI events, Druidschool events, and am a member of a Grove near Wexford.

But as a 'blow in' (I'm from the US), it troubles me to hear that PFI 'fell out of favor' because the people holding it weren't Irish. I guess I didn't get the memo that you had to be Irish to be Pagan...All this time I thought that my spirituality superceded my nationality.

At any rate, I typically don't associate myself with people or groups who actively look for ways to exclude others based on religion, nationality, race, etc. As a Pagan (a typically oppressed/suppressed group), I always find it funny when members of our community find ways to oppress or suppress other groups (i.e. foreigners, outsiders, or others from different backgrounds). The oppressed become the oppressors...

So if, indeed, some Irish stopped supporting PFI because it was supported by non-Irish, I guess I'd be glad of it. Those aren't the kind of people I'd want to associate with anyway, nor would I want PFI to be identified with such people.

littlemis wrote: »
    Yeah,fair play to them, It's very hard to get Druids,Witches,Shamans,Heathens,ect, to agree on anything,never mind an appropriate place to sit and play nice for a few hours.

This is an interesting statement, and something I'm beginning to find somewhat more unique to Ireland than, say, the UK or the US. In my experience, it isn't hard to get a gathering of pagans of different backgrounds together - as a minority group, they often seek ways of feeling part of a larger community - strength in numbers - and welcome the differences of opinion and practice. Good examples of this are the PF gatherings in the UK, Pantheacon in the US, and the newly formed and very successful Pagan Newswire Collective in the US.

In Ireland, on the other hand, it seems that many (most?) are far from embracing of fellow Pagans, and instead offers of solidarity, group meetings, etc. are met with indifference, silence, or worse.

As I mentioned above, I am a blow-in, but I would love to hear opinions on why it seems Pagans in Ireland are so divided...

Do yourself a favour Bard,don't worry about it too much,If you've a group of friends who share your outlook on life then stick with em,your very lucky to have them,some of us meet other pagans and have absolutely nothing in common,just because you're a pagan doesn't mean you'll automatically click with other pagans,Ive met quite a few pagans in Ireland and to be honest the majority of them are good people, but,due to their differing paths and social values,as the saying goes "the twain shall never meet", my advice,don't worry,be happy:)

I appreciate the input, hogflem. I'm not suggesting everyone has to be best friends - but it does seem odd that people who typically suffer the same kinds of scrutiny and stigma would find enemies in one another...It is definitely frustrating for me...I guess I'm a 'uniter not a divider' - so when I see potential allies fighting with each other over petty differences (like, "They aren't REAL Irish Druids!" or "Oh, they follow Gardnerian Wicca - I'm a Hedge Witch!"), it can be difficult for me to stay on the sidelines. ;) That said, I do applaud the current folks at PFI and Irish Druid Network and other moots that make an effort to connect people - however much those people might resist being connected!

• Advertisement

Too many chiefs,and not enough Indians:D

Advertisement