Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerald Barry RIP

• 14-03-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

Very sad news about Gerald Barry who died this morning. Only half-heard the item on R1's News at One but I hope somebody, somewhere pays tribute in a fitting manner. His Sunday lunchtime interviews regularly dictated the news agenda for the rest of the day and even the following day. But he carried his knowledge and skills lightly.
    My condolences to his family.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Jesus.. :eek:
    What happened?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Shocked. :(

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Talking about him right now on Radio 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Very good tribute on RTE Radio 1 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

RIP

I heard some of the tribute, seemed like a gentleman. I remember the "This Week" show well, very distinctive voice.

Nice tribute to one of RTE's most respected.......immediately followed by Joe Duffy talking to some publican about his banner barring the Queen from his pub.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Cole wrote: »
    very distinctive voice.

He did have one of those voices that was instantly recognisable. Always liked his interviewing style, not as abrasive as Sean O'Rourke or Cathal Mac Coille while still managing to get to the crux of the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Only 63, sad news. This Week wasn't the same without him.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0314/barryg.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

He was a good broadcaster, condolences to his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yeah, I'm very sorry to hear the sad news.

I did wonder over recent months where he'd got to. I didn't know/realise he'd retired or was ill...

condolences to his family.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Can't remember a time when he wasn't on This Week.
    He was a proper, intelligent and considered journalist. Always asked the pertinent questions in a calm, respectful, reasoned way.
    He never needed to use agression or baracking to get an answer.

He was proof to me that being a gentleman/woman is not a barrier to being an effective interviewer.

Some of RTE's so-called big stars could and should have learned from Gerry Barry. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

Very sad news and to be honest i was really shocked to hear that he was only 63 years old, I always pictured him being in his 80s

Advertisement