Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active Diabetics might want to see this!

Options
  • 14-03-2011 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Im sitting in the library completely procrastinating when I stumbled across this little gem!

Its a piece of research in to caffeine reducing the onset of hypos in Type 1's while exercising

http://www.runsweet.com/Research.html

I thought it was interesting because Im a total diet coke addict but rarely hypo during exercise. Ill always drop a few hours later but even when doing 10mile runs or riding 6 race horses in a morning I never normally drop.

hmm ponder ponder ponder :p

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Any idea how many people were used in the study? Big Coffee drinker myself but find that i actually feel like my glycaemic levels have dropped severely after a large dose of Joe. Never kept a record of it though although I notice symptoms of hypoglycaemia if I take to much coffee wether or not my bloods are normal or hypo.

For the type 2 people we have:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2761298/
    http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(03)12586-X/fulltext

that said most research I have seen previously is not as positive about caffeine consumption in at risk groups or in T2DM themselves, citing reduced insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

I knew you would be all over this cramcycle! :D:D

I know what you mean about having too much caffeine on board and getting hypo symptoms, its not very pleasant!

Iv no idea how many they had, my diabetic nurse recommended I look at that website years ago and I was just having a look when I found that.

I was just talking to my dad there and he said he never hypos during exercise either so maybe its just a genetic thing that we go low after the exercise instead :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

eilo1 wrote: »
    I knew you would be all over this cramcycle! :D:D

I'll have to do a bit more reading as all the experience I have is personal, I cycle quite a bit and I do find the benefit of a cuppa when I'm struggling a bit but I wouldn't draw any conclusions from it :D

Might be an interesting project to write up for a couple of our undergraduates next year. The theory sounds reasonable but I have a few niggles pumping away at the back of my brain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If caffeine didn't come in a tasty drink form then it would be on the banned performance enhancing drugs list.

Looks like that article may have been up for a while, but I may just give them a call if they are still looking for people. Not been on the pump 3 weeks yet, but I certainly do more than an hours exercise a week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just got a reply from them and they are still looking for people. Didn't see much to do with caffeine in the explanations of a couple of studies they currently have running, other than don't drink any coffee before coming in. Will have a bit more of an investigate and will probably go along.

He said they also run a specific diabetes and sports type clinic for the more active amongst us, but I'd need a referral to be able to get into that from the GP or hospital.

• Advertisement
Advertisement