Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo or other screening plants

Options
  • 14-03-2011 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭

I've got a low wall that I'd like to grow some bamboo or or another screening plant up against.

I'd be looking for something that would grow to around 8' and it needs to grow in pots.

Can anyone advise what I might look for and the best place to buy in the Dublin area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

dvpower wrote: »
    I've got a low wall that I'd like to grow some bamboo or or another screening plant up against.

I'd be looking for something that would grow to around 8' and it needs to grow in pots.

Can anyone advise what I might look for and the best place to buy in the Dublin area.

Hi DVpower. About 3years ago I fell in love with bamboo when I saw it in someones garden down in Cork. It was about 25ft high, magnificent looking. I asked the owner 'how long did it take to grow that high, answer was 'one season'. wow. Since that day I have found out that Bamboo planted in the ground can spread like wild fire. Runners from it travel underground and under walls and come up again to form new plants. It can be a very serious problem. There are 'clumping varietes but I wouldn't trust them in the ground myself.
    So I eventually got one and put it in a large pot. My only dissapointment was that it has only grown about 2feet higher over one year. I doubt it will gow much higher whilst in the pot.

Thats all I have for you. Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

Advertisement