Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newer phones+welders

Options
  • 14-03-2011 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭

My friend does welding at home making gates and railings. Last week he got a new samsung phone(not sure of type) aand when he's welding ther phone acts up, e.g. loses contacts, turns off. I thought nothing of it till he asked me to give him a hand on saturday. I have a nokia c3 and after an hour i took it out to ring ther missus and noticed it was acting funny. It wouldnt do anything, in order to get it to work i had to take out the battery and restart it. Can welders cause new age phones to malfunction?

If this is in the wrong section i apologise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Arc welders use electricity to generate the necessary heat. When using AC power, this would have a side effect of generating a fairly strong magnetic/electrical field around the welder which will disrupt most electronics in a 1 or 2m radius.

Newer mobile phones would have more sophisticated and therefore more sensitive electronics and be more prone to interference and data loss. Older mobiles probably are interfered with, but running less sensitive software and hardware would be less prone to ongoing problems.

Pacemakers are similarly affected by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Thats true about the older phones cause up till recently we both had older phones and there was never a problem with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Slightly off topic, but I used to date a welders daughter many moons ago.

She had acetalyne boobs. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Ghandee wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but I used to date a welders daughter many moons ago.

She had acetalyne boobs. :rolleyes:

Did you have to handle them with a hot tongs?:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

chastity belt welded onto her! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement