Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jens Lehmann in talks with Arsenal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Where are these talks you speak of?

No mention in the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

Flick on SSN if you can braking news in yellow bar ;)
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6813392,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

einfach klasse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Joekers wrote: »
    Flick on SSN if you can braking news in yellow bar ;)
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6813392,00.html

Braking News: Lehman signing stops Arsenal Title chase.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

From Birmingham to Barca to Manchester to Jens Lehman

The hits just keep on coming;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

Arsenal fans emailing into SSN saying that his age doesn't matter, if I was them i'd be more concerned with his quality:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

tbh, I think he is taking the p!ss as in the clip below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Arsenal fans emailing into SSN saying that his age doesn't matter, if I was them i'd be more concerned with his quality:P

Lehmann was quality. Obviously I don't expect him to be anywhere near the level he was during his first spell with us but we could certainly do worse on an emergency loan. I don't expect him to get any gametime anway.

Plus he's mad as a bag of spiders, hopefully that might rub off on the rest of the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

This persistant refusal of Wenger to sort out the goalkeeping position once and for all is the only weakness he has as a manager. Since Seaman, who he inhereted, they have not had a keeper anything like good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm guessing Lehmann would only be acting as backup.
    Wouldn't mind him instilling a fearful winning mentality in the team - something we've been missing for some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Should've gone for this chap instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

That_Guy wrote: »
    Should've gone for this chap instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Carroll
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Carroll was on trial at Sheffield United however he conceded two goals within ten minuets and was sent off, which led to a penalty during a reserve match against Barnsley. As a result of his poor performance whilst on trial, he was not offered a contract with the Blades.[25]

I'm sorry, but that made me giggle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Frisbee wrote: »

Plus he's mad as a bag of spiders

This, and this is alos the reason I loved watching him as a goakeeper. Mind you, i thought even though he had a few dodgy moments, he was a good 'keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

BERBA wrote: »
    From Birmingham to Barca to Manchester to Jens Lehman

The hits just keep on coming;)

he's probably still to this day more reliable than Gomes ;)

he's also been Arsenal's best keeper of pretty much the last decade.

he's a headcase, but he was quality.

plus he has a winning mentality.

he will also be backup, so he won't be getting games.

this signing is nothing but win-win if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dont ge tthe Lehman hate, was the best keeper they had since Seaman.

A quality goalkeeper that has tremendous leadership and organisational qualities. Yeah he had a few bloopers, who doesnt. But his command of the six yard box was high and above most other keepers.

I know I'll be shot for this, but I'd rate him higher then our own very much over rated Shay Given.

Given is probably the best shot stopper in the business, but I dont think he has a patch on most people in terms of organisation and box presence.

Not trying to start a flame war here cause I know people have strokes when someone bad mouths Given, but Arsenal have alot of young keepers now, and having someone like Lehman there for ever a short spell, will do a world of positives for the young keepers there.

Box presence, organisational skills but most importantly, how to deal with the aftermath pressure of having a blunder, no joke intended, the two young lads have had a few clangers and are probably still feeling the hurt, Lehman has always been held in high regard in terms of him passing on knowledge to younger players and it would be a positive step.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Good enough to be European Goalkeeper of the Year (twice... actually, maybe just the once), but not good enough for Arsenal... some people just can't help but talk ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A very sensible move if you can look beyond the ''41 year old goalkeeper to sign for Arsenal'' headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I hope he returns, he is great craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

This persistant refusal of Wenger to sort out the goalkeeping position once and for all is the only weakness he has as a manager. Since Seaman, who he inhereted, they have not had a keeper anything like good enough.

I don't accept that. Lehmann had a very good first season with Arsenal, (you won't go a whole league season unbeaten without a good keeper) had a spell of bad form in his second season but eventually recovered, and in the 05-06 season he was immense- Arsenal would not have qualified for the Champions League that season were it not for Jens and he was also a crucial part of Arsenal's run to the champions league final that season. He dislodged Oliver Kahn from the German national team, won UEFA keeper of the season and had himself a decent World Cup.

The following season he was once again a solid performer for Arsenal and after making one or two errors at the start of the 07/08 season he was harshly permanently dropped for Manuel Aluminium.

All in all I'd consider Lehmann to have been a very good player for Arsenal. I won't say he was better that Seaman but he was certainly more than a good enough replacement for Seaman.

As an Arsenal fan I'd be happy enough to have him back as a short term backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

jordainius wrote: »
    I don't accept that. Lehmann had a very good first season with Arsenal, (you won't go a whole league season unbeaten without a good keeper) had a spell of bad form in his second season but eventually recovered, and in the 05-06 season he was immense- Arsenal would not have qualified for the Champions League that season were it not for Jens and he was also a crucial part of Arsenal's run to the champions league final that season. He dislodged Oliver Kahn from the German national team, won UEFA keeper of the season and had himself a decent World Cup.

The following season he was once again a solid performer for Arsenal and after making one or two errors at the start of the 07/08 season he was harshly permanently dropped for Manuel Aluminium.

All in all I'd consider Lehmann to have been a very good player for Arsenal. I won't say he was better that Seaman but he was certainly more than a good enough replacement for Seaman.

As an Arsenal fan I'd be happy enough to have him back as a short term backup.

Agreed. He didn't lose any of his first 47 league games at Arsenal. Impressive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

It can't hurt to have a player who's "been there, done that" around the club at such a crucial part of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Frisbee wrote: »
    Plus he's mad as a bag of spiders

lehmann.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Lehmann won the Premiership and FA cup with Arsenal, and might have won a CL medal if he hadn't been sent off in the final. I think that he could help the others in getting their confidence back, and mount a serious title effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Got this from the fiver on the gaurdian
    "To have someone here who hates me is just amazing. I know he hates me. If he was someone important to me, I would try to talk to him and see what the problem is. But he's not. So we don't talk" - If this is how Manuel Almunia felt about Jens Lehmann in 2008, he'll be delighted that the out-of-work goalkeeper, 82, is in talks to rejoin Arsenal.

I didn't know they didn't get on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think he's right to have faith in Sczeney. He's done very little wrong since he became no 1 - apart from dislocating his finger of course. I think this post is a few months out of date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Called it in the Arsenal thread a few days ago, delighted if it happens, he has bags of experience and the leadership qualities to enhance are title chase + when you think about the type of goals Arsenal concede you need to be aerially strong more so than have cat reflexes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I'm pleased, be good to have around the club in the capacity. Almunia's words will still sting him though, would love to see him have a run in nets if Al does muck up. Nice ending to his career as i felt his Arsenal one was ended unfairly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Makes sense, was a good keeper...very mad, but still quality. Something they've lacked in that position since he went. If he comes in and manages to oust Almunia, maybe Arsenal cud still have a hope of winning league.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I'm pleased, be good to have around the club in the capacity. Almunia's words will still sting him though, would love to see him have a run in nets if Al does muck up. Nice ending to his career as i felt his Arsenal one was ended unfairly.

Whats the story about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Peter Schmiechel. Left United Summer 99.
    Van der Sar. Joined United Summer 05.
    It's not exactly an easy position to fill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The legendary Dino Zoff from Italy still played in his 40s, age really doesn't matter for a goalie.

But I know Lehmann from his time with Borussia Dortmund...please don't remind me of those dark ages :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Totally agree we had some goalkeeping calamities in that 6 year period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I posted this on the Arsenal thread earlier:

Got to love Lehmann :D

2vw64iq.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Completely different person off the pitch, gotta love his antics on the pitch though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

It is you know. At least with Man U they went and spent money on what on paper were top keepers. Barthez, Taibi, Howard, and Bosnich were at expected to perform better than they did.

Arsenal have never even tried to sign an established keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

dbp1zm.gif

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal signed Jens Lehmann and Richard Wright, who as a PL keeper with Everton certainly qualifies if you can count a MetroStars keeper as established...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Lehmann is too old, he'd only break a hip if he dived to save a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

:pac:

It's mad to think there is only a year in the difference between Van Der Sar and Lehmann. VDS looks like he could play another 5 years if he wanted to. Lehmann on the other hand has been suffering from senility for the last 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Galvasean wrote: »
    It's mad to think there is only a year in the difference between Van Der Sar and Lehmann. VDS looks like he could play another 5 years if he wanted to. Lehmann on the other hand has been suffering from senility for the last 5 years.

I'm not so sure, although VDS is playing at a reallu high level, I think his standard has dropped quite a bit, some shots he used to save etc. He's still unreal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Great to see the big man and a proven winner back at the club.

Advertisement