Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infraction on Limerick City Forum

Options
  • 14-03-2011 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71146344#post71146344

Infracted by Clareman for linked post for insulting other members.

I PMed Clareman. His position is that I was pigeon holing limerick culture, and that is insulting and warrants an infraction. Obviously I do not agree.

I wasn't insulting people; I was commenting on Limerick City culture in a thread asking for comments on Limerick City culture.

I've been living in Limerick for almost 4 years. I was giving an informed opinion - not trolling/flaming etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hi Kadongy,

While I can see your point that its your informed opinion you have to understand that you cant post that kind of comment on the Limerick forum,its bound to wind people up.Look at it this way,I could have a informed opinion on Man Utd fans but I could not go onto the Man Ytd thread on the soccer forum and tell them all what I thin of them.

Also infractions are just a gentle reminder that you crossed the line a little and to be careful going forward.

Dub13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Dub13 wrote: »
    Hi Kadongy,

While I can see your point that its your informed opinion you have to understand that you cant post that kind of comment on the Limerick forum,its bound to wind people up.Look at it this way,I could have a informed opinion on Man Utd fans but I could not go onto the Man Ytd thread on the soccer forum and tell them all what I thin of them.

Also infractions are just a gentle reminder that you crossed the line a little and to be careful going forward.

Dub13
    Yes - but there is an explicit rule against doing that on the soccer forum, so it's really not a valid comparison. Also I live in Limerick myself - I'm not an outsider to the group. Thirdly, I was criticising the culture, not telling anyone what I thought of them. All I did was post an opinion that the moderator disagreed with.

It's also not an opinion that I expected to wind any one up. It's quite a popular opinion in fact: Most of the people I know in Limerick share roughly that point of view, whether they are from here or not.

I understand that you probably think I'm making a big deal over somethign completely trivial, since it's only an infraction as you point out, but I dislike the precedent that is being set here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Maybe the soccer forum was a extreme example but the point still stands,each forum has its own ebb and flow and the local mods are in the best position to understand this and sometimes they need to clamp down on things before they get out of hand.
    Kadongy wrote: »
    I understand that you probably think I'm making a big deal over somethign completely trivial, since it's only an infraction as you point out, but I dislike the precedent that is being set here.

Not at all sure this is why this forum is here to take the discussion out of the forum and put the discussion in a more neutral platform.I am sure Clareman will pop in and give his view on this.

This is rubbish tbh. My opinion of this site just dropped about 80%.

edit: Seriously, what is the point of an appeal process if the cmods just take the view that the forum mods know better than they do anyway.

There was zero possibility of anything getting out of hand in that thread, simply because the thread had already been locked for unrelated reasons - by a mod who is actually in Limerick, and who gave no indication he saw anything wrong with the post.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hi,

As with all regional forums, people can take great offence when general statements such as "Jocks or Scumbags" are spewed in relation to their areas, I saw the post as if you aren't involved in a sport you are a scumbag, I was also concerned that other posters could quote your post to point out double standards in modding.

As you are new to boards, and clearly feel this infraction is unwarranted, I am willing to give you the benefit of doubt that you did not mean this post the way that I interrupted it and would be ok with removal of the infraction, BUT, this is only with the understanding that you realize that generalization such as this will not be tolerated.

• Advertisement

That's not what I was implying at all. I meant you might feel you didn't fit in so well if you weren't in either category.
    Yeah ok no generalisations

I think this has been forgotten about? Infraction is still there.

Advertisement