Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make veg stock?

Options
  • 14-03-2011 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

I have been making chicken stock for a while now, and made the NICEST chicken gravy from scratch last night (it was my first gravy!).
    I would love to make a vegetable stock... is this as simple as boiling up all my veg cut offs and peelings or so I need full carrots, brocolli, onions etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I never boil stock. It can make it bitter.
    I use Celery, Carrots, Bay leaves, and some peppercorns.
    Bring nearly to the boil and simmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I'm a big fan of homemade stock made from peelings myself, ElleEm.

I use the peelings of vegetables and collect them in a freezer bag. When I have enough I make stock out of them, maybe with a chicken carcass thrown in.

What I use: onion skins (these can stain aluminium pots, though), garlic skins, the cores of peppers, celery (in small amounts), leek, spring onion and carrots.

I don't use cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc. as they are too overpowering (unless you want it that way, of course) or potato peels as they will just make the stock cloudy and not add any flavour.

Like CJ, I only simmer it and I find that an hour is long enough. I don't bother adding any herbs or seasoning at all as I leave this until actually cooking with the stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Also don't put in any green vegetables or the green part of leeks as this makes it smelly and goes off quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Thanks a million for the advice.
    I'll start freezing my peelings tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

whats the consensus on adding ginger, garlic etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I add ginger and garlic all the time. But normally I fry them off first so they don't give their astringent flavour to the stock

Advertisement