Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epidural! Help :(

Options
  • 14-03-2011 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hey all,

Quick question..

I am 38 weeks on baby no.2 and as the time is gettin closer im getting more worried.

This will probably sound stupid but im going to ask anyway..

I went private with 1st baby who is 7 now. I was only 20 and hadnt a clue what to expect so my mother insisted i go private. That was fine. Went into labour on thursday nite, arrived at limerick maternity about 1:30pm friday, checked in addmissions and was 1.5cm.
    Was brought to labour ward about 3:30pm, waters broken etc. Asked for epidural about 7pm and got it pretty much straight away. An hour later hadnt worked, anaesthethist came back and topped up, same again another hour later, back he came and topped up. Finally no pain and dd was born the saturday morning at 5:30am :) (on the day of my 21st birthday i might add)

Anyway, Going public this time. Had a horific pregnancy 1st time round so was glad to be private really but as for the birth, its the fantastic midwives that do all the work and have full faith in them. (consultant wasnt there as she had a c-section to do)

I wouldnt dream of paying the money for private again as i have found no difference in the care im receiving. (cant afford it anyway tbh)

Im really concerned that if i ask for the epidural i may not get it in time as i have heard from alot of friends. I know it sounds crazy to think that i wont get it just because im a public patient but im at the stage where im so worried that im waking at night thinking about it..

Can anyone help? And sorry in advance for such a silly question :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Public on both my babies and was waiting max 45 mins for an epidural on both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

Thank you so much. I know that wont always be the case but i feel alot better. Still a bit worried about the fact i had to get it topped up twice.. Will they top it up, they may not have time. Ill have to get on with it i suppose, this lady isnt gonna stay put just because im in pain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

From what I've been able to discover, whether or not you get the epidural depends on staffing levels on the labour ward and the number of women in labour. Afaik, if you have the epidural you need more assistance and monitoring than someone opting for an epi-free birth. If too many women ahead of you get it, there may not be enough staff to go around (or the anesthesiologist might be swamped) and you might miss out. This is the case whether you go public or private, going private does not ensure you get preferential treatment.

In the event that you do end up missing out on an epi, it would be good to prepare yourself in advance for that eventuality so that you don't panic. Many people say a second baby is much easier to get out that a first, so you have that going for you. And if you don't have an epi, labour is usually over more quickly. It's also worth keeping in mind that the pain of actually giving birth is not as bad as the pain of the contractions, so if you can deal with the contractions at all you will be able to cope with the rest of it. That's what freaked me out - the contractions were rotten and I thought they would get worse and worse, but I actually found that although they got closer together they never got any worse. Pushing the baby out was very stingy but was also a huge relief - you know it will be over in a few minutes once you get to that stage.

You probably will get your epidural but try not to panic if you don't. Your body is designed to give birth and you will manage without one if it comes down to it.

Thanks for the reply Cat,

Im trying not to worry too much but i am a worrier by nature which doesnt help.
    Even though i am thinkin about it quiet a bit as i said earlier, i also have it in my head that the world isnt going to end if i dont get it. I will be honest and hope that i do but the pain is only there until baby comes so there is light at the end of the tunnel and the pain will stop eventually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

i dont want to try change your mind about anything you are hoping to do in your birth plan , that is one thing you have every right to do if you havent done one already , do one now and have two copies in your labour bag, you are letting everyone know your preference to how your little baby will arrive ! hardly ever turns out that way but ! also talk to your doctor about your concerns !
    i have to say i am completely different to cat melodeon i found the contractions painful but nothing compared to the birth , both babies were big 9lb 3oz on first , 10lb on second so maybe that makes a difference!
    the epi on my first was a huge mistake for me ended with forceps delivery, the fear made me get it and you are more at risk with an epi for an assisted delivery , another factor which for some reason i did not know about till after!
    had my second child completely natural , was wrecked but nothing like the first!
    but that was me , my experience , everyone is totally different .
    i was with a midwife group on both of mine which are totally all for natural births , but i had my epi within 15mins of asking for it and i wasnt private , just as cat melodeon said it doesn't make any diff , just depends how busy they are on the night !
    the very best of luck to you whatever you decide to do , take care and goodluck !!!

• Advertisement

My lad was 9lb 6 so not much difference in size catchery! I think for me it was just the emotional relief of knowing it was almost over that made the actual birth go by in a blur - either than or the gas suddenly got a bit more potent!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had 2 with out it or pethidine.
    The 1st was about a 3 hour labour and was painful but was bareable.
    The 2nd was 55 minutes and awful,I had a tens machine which I think helped but it interrupted the monitoring equipment so had to take it off.I was begging for pain relief but there was nothing they could give me,if I realised how quick it might have not been so bad I thought the pain would last hours and that was an issue.
    Had amazing midwives each time and that makes all the difference.

Don't rule anything out,I definitely did not want an epidural but when it came to it the 2nd time I wanted anything!
    Was up walking around straight away after both and would go with out it again next time.

Thanks for all the replies ladies..

I just think that i could barely manage the pain at nearly 2cm on my dd.. I know it sounds crazy but my opinion about having a baby with no pain relief is just madness..
    I wouldnt go into the dentist to get a tooth pulled and tell him not to bother with any anaesthetic,ha.. I see it in the same way ~ Why be in pain if you dont have to be.

Had a scan 2day because i have been quiet wet lately and they thought it might be waters leaking slowly.. Thank god it wasnt, just pressure from baby. She is 7lbs now at 38 + 3 and im actually freaking out..

I dont know how ye do it with 9 and 10 lb babies..
    I suppose she is going to have to be born regardless so fingers crossed i get an epidural and can have her myself..

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭catchery

well thats it isnt it we had basically big babies but both found different parts of labour worse eh cat melodeon! mom2be i hope you fly through it all and you are the only person who decides whats best when its happening ! thank god for that ! the very best to you , the joy starts soon and its wonderful !

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

I was public and was induced on my first who is also 7 now( i was also 21 at the time).

As i was induced i thought i had the luxury of telling them that i will be having an epidural.....but when the time came they told me there wasnt enough time and they wanted a blood test back etc...i ended up having to just go on with gas and air.

I got through it !! I am now 9+6 with my second and i hope to demand an epidural this time.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Seems incredible that getting an epidural should be a matter of chance or luck.
    Nobody would go to the dentist and be told "Well, we're understaffed today. These things happen. I'm sure you understand. So we'll have natural dentistry for you. You'll forget about the pain afterwards, and those anaethetics carry a risk, you know..I don't really approve of them myself"

Pain relief (except where there is a clear medical contra-indication) should be totally the labouring mother's choice. Nobody should be deciding for her, or pre-guessing her level of pain.

Epidurals are a wonderful safe (by the standards of other routine interventions) way of making childbirth just about bearable for many women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

^ There is a shortage of anesthesiologists in the country. If you are in a maternity hospital chances are you you will get one. If you are outside of Dublin you have to compete with surgery patients, emergency patients, etc and epis go to the bottom of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

^ There is a shortage of anesthesiologists in the country. If you are in a maternity hospital chances are you you will get one. If you are outside of Dublin you have to compete with surgery patients, emergency patients, etc and epis go to the bottom of the list.

You cn bet "epis go to the bottom of the list"

Labouring mothers and their pain, do not get high priority.

I remember once a doctor saying that when they were juniors and on their first training session in hospitals, they would be asked to stitch episiotomies to "get practice with stitching wounds".

This is no longer the case, thank God, but that is where we are coming from.

The pain of labour is extreme, much worse than some minor surgical procedures, altough it is a different kind of pain.
    Some women do not find this a problem, and fair play to them.
    But for the rest, epis should never be "bottom of the list"

Thanks ladies.. Im due tomorow and now totally freaking out :(

But i suppose im only a number along with everyone else. I will ask (beg if i have to) for it and all i can do is hope for the best..

Oh and congrats collegeme :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Choice for an epi is for me a luxury!! This is going to sound like something from the Stone Age but I swear its true. I had my first child 12 years ago in Cork and at that time wether you were offered the epi depended on what day you went in. The Ernville and another hospital shared the anesthetist.
    I happened to go in on a day when s/he was in the other hospital - got on fine with just the gas and air though. Am 37 weeks now and hope for the same again. My plan is to be flexible (also heading to Limerick this time!) and if I want one I'll ask :P

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Mom2Be wrote: »
    Thanks ladies.. Im due tomorow and now totally freaking out :(

But i suppose im only a number along with everyone else. I will ask (beg if i have to) for it and all i can do is hope for the best..

Oh and congrats collegeme :)

Ah seriously don't get yourself worked up......plenty have done it without an epi.
    Best of luck and keep us updated

Still here mom2be?

I just wanted to add that the midwife team I had were brilliant for getting me into different positions and for trying different ways to help labour along. I felt they really contributed to it being a quick labour (4hrs from first contraction to delivery) and that wouldn't have been possible if I'd had the epi (I'd have been stuck on my back). Don't freak out, you more than likely will get the epi but equally you'll manage just fine if you don't.

For the record, I'm in the middle of a lot of dental work involving extractions and fillings and all sorts of nasties. I'd take 4 hours of childbirth without painrelief any day of the week over the 5 hrs of anaesthetic-loaded dentistry I'm facing into! I hate going to the dentist!

Still here mom2be?

I just wanted to add that the midwife team I had were brilliant for getting me into different positions and for trying different ways to help labour along. I felt they really contributed to it being a quick labour (4hrs from first contraction to delivery) and that wouldn't have been possible if I'd had the epi (I'd have been stuck on my back). Don't freak out, you more than likely will get the epi but equally you'll manage just fine if you don't.

For the record, I'm in the middle of a lot of dental work involving extractions and fillings and all sorts of nasties. I'd take 4 hours of childbirth without painrelief any day of the week over the 5 hrs of anaesthetic-loaded dentistry I'm facing into! I hate going to the dentist!

Hiya Cat.

Yup still here, only a day over and seen as i went 10 over on my 1st, Im thinkin this lady is in no rush. Have terrible pressure the last few days but thats about as far as it goes.

Thanks for the info. I cant help but worry..
    But then you make it sound so easy. Will keep ye posted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I got to the same point on all 3 and begged for the epidural, only to be told i was 9 cms and would soon be finished . .:rolleyes: you think i'd learn :D
    Wouldn't rule out any form of painrelief but was up and about 30mins after the delivery and in the shower.
    My thinking was i'd go as far on my own with the gas, as i could, i did find the pushing difficult on the last lad, he was the biggest baby i had at just 7lb 10, the girls were 5lb 8 and 6lb 10, so size definitely does matter :D ( in all ways:pac:)

Update!!

Im still here anyway after my appointment this morning..
    Doctor was going doing a sweep but i refused because my daughter is in a drama show 2moro nite and i was terrified that the sweep would get things moving and id miss the show.
    She has put so much into it that the only way i planned on missing it was if i went myself and was nothing i could do about it..

Anyway, have my date to be induced if it doesnt happen itself ~ Next Wed @ 8am.. Scary but exciting to know that in the next week i'll have my little lady with me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sparticus78

Hi mom2be just to let you know I had my little one 3 1/2 weeks ago and was also public in Limerick. I had stated in my birth plan that I didnt want to be let go too far without the option of the epidural. Went in at 4cms and was going fine on tens but the midwives were great and kept asking regarding pain relief and if I wanted some - I kept putting the epi off and went on gas and air in the labor room and lasted on that for a finish! I found the TENS fantastic along with gas and air - I didnt find the contractions got worse towards the last stages - just shorter and a bit longer. You may be surprised how high a pain threshold you have the second time as it will be a diff labor as your body has already gone through it!! Best of luck. You are in great hands! I had a really really lovely lady by the name of Liz but altogether everyone one of the nurses on the wards was so nice and offered such a help when requested! One of them even made me tea and toast & even buttered it for me at 4am when I was up in the middle of a feed

Advertisement