Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40% cap on repeat exams?

Options
  • 14-03-2011 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I'm repeating the written exam on two 5 credit modules in Aug/Sept. Some people have said to me that is definitely a 40% cap on repeat exams, some have said the opposite.

I'd like to know definitively which is right. I'm in the last year of my level 7 and I just want to get a rough idea of what sort of grade I could get.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

That used to be the case but they changed it a few years ago, now you should get whatever grade you get in the repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You will be capped at 40% in the repeat for those modules.

What has changed recently was repeat exams for a module which counted toward your degree award eg. 3rd year for an Ordinary Degree or 3rd and 4th for an Honours Degree.
    Up to recently, if you failed any module that counted toward your degree award, your degree was capped at 40% (pass) no matter how well you did in the rest. Pretty harsh!
    That's no longer the case, if you fail any module you are allowed repeat it once and still be awarded the degree award according to your grade average. The repeat grade for the repeat module is capped at 40% though so this would obviously bring your average down slightly.

Advertisement