Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Server [Survival][Whitelist][iZone][1.6.6][Google Maps]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I guess it can be turned off, or the event held outside of the mapped area.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ah yeah can be turned off with the flick of a switch :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Just looking at that google map... its awesome...

But its worrying that people are going so far away from the spawn..and expanding the map loads.... lag will only get worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

DeV has kindly offered to migrate it to the boards.ie server and shut down the board whenever there are more than two people in minecraft so we can play in peace.*

*May not be true. May actually be pure lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Nevore wrote: »
    DeV has kindly offered to migrate it to the boards.ie server and shut down the board whenever there are more than two people in minecraft so we can play in peace.*

*May not be true. May actually be pure lies.

Sounds like a plan to me!

Also, have we downsized? I saw it had changed to 'only' 25 players last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    No... Mine was working there about an hour ago and now I have a black screen like you. Must be a slight problem.
    I'm getting this problem from it:
    Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; CMDTDF; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)
    Timestamp: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 12:38:57 UTC

Line: 33
    Char: 212
    Code: 0
    URI: http://maps.gstatic.com/intl/en_ie/mapfiles/api-3/4/7/main.js

Line: 484
    Char: 3
    Code: 0
    URI: http://78.137.161.116:8123/map.js
    I'm using IE8, so not sure if that's why.

edit: Also, (don't know if it's related) but I'm getting a "Failed to connect to server, Unknown Host" error now, when I try and get onto the server in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Korvanica wrote: »
    Just looking at that google map... its awesome...

But its worrying that people are going so far away from the spawn..and expanding the map loads.... lag will only get worse...

Has there been any kind of study on how much strain the map size places on the server? I am curious as to how far out we can/should go. It seems a little redundant if the world is 3 times the size of earth but we can only travel a few thousand blocks in any direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Each chunk is loaded from a text file so the only time it affects performance is when the chunk is discovered by a player and the file is created. After that it's just reading data from the file the same as for any other chunk - in town or out of it. A bigger map just means more files on the server's hard-drive.

You might get a small hit to performance if we all logged in at the same time and all headed off in different directions but I don't think you'd even notice it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Servers normally reach crash status at 2gb in size there or there abouts. Ours is currently just over 300mb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Cossax wrote: »
    I presume it could be disabled for the duration of the event?

Is the map down for anyone else? Might just be college blocking it but it times out for me.

Home now from college and it works fine now... think it was down to the colleges proxy settings.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, I have made it easier to get into Moria now.

From the spawn, look just past the sugar cane and you will see a cobblestone and candle opening in the ground, follow the stairs down and take a left at the bottom. Then follow the tunnel! (I've partly NUTSified with a subway system reaching half way).

Moria is far far from finished but there's plenty to explore already, all I ask is that people leave stuff where it is.

need help mining moria and NUTifying any other areas?.. lol..

Will prob be on later for a bit..

Love "NUTSifying".

NUTSification should be the current national event. BTW what's the name of our country/world? We should have a competition to name it and I should get a prize for coming up with the idea :D

Few Name Suggestions:

Chersey Shore.
    BoardsieLand.
    The Korvanica experience featuring Jesus.
    Irish Boards Server.. or IBS for short.. :D

We should build this....

www.planetminecraft.com/project/mob-arena-371

It would be great for server events...

IBS is the name of my work so that's out!

DeV - mind if I extend the MUTS NUTS out to the Colosseum and then my place?

Korvanica wrote: »
    We should build this....

www.planetminecraft.com/project/mob-arena-371

It would be great for server events...

That looks savage :D

That looks savage :D

Might make a start on it later if anyone is interested. Havent a clue where to build it though... Somewhere near the town is best id say....

Well judging by the map, either by the Colosseum or South-eastwards from the village, there's a nice flattish opening in the snow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,000 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Servers normally reach crash status at 2gb in size there or there abouts. Ours is currently just over 300mb

Any idea of whose gone out the farthest cus i went on a pretty long exploration one time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I went out to about 4000 or 5000 one day and left a dig HI in the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

I'm liking the interest in my NUTS guys :P
    Okay, it's not just mine of course, but I couldn't let the opportunity pass by!

Also, much larger map?! I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Does the new glass and wool travel system make all the iron but into the old minecart system obsolete?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

The strasse is awful laggy...

How about upgraded minecart tracks?
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mech-minecart-mania-1-07-612.388/
    Booster sections are great.

Botulism wrote: »
    The strasse is awful laggy...

How about upgraded minecart tracks?
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mech-minecart-mania-1-07-612.388/
    Booster sections are great.

Aye I pointed that out. Unfortunately the Minecart plugins suffer from similar problems. It's just the server not being able to keep with with co-ordinates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

New travel system? that mean I can get rid of my tracks then?

Ìf ya want but I think the new systems a bit crap

Agreed. It's very laggy and you bounce all over the place, plus you can't get off most of the time.

Agreed. It's very laggy and you bounce all over the place, plus you can't get off most of the time.

Can I have my wool back then? We'll need to decide an alternative transport method so! Ideas?

• Advertisement

Yeah go ahead, I already took most of mine back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement