Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Server [Survival][Whitelist][iZone][1.6.6][Google Maps]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

He is a boardsie, Dime101. He asked ages ago but cherry missed his post...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Korvanica wrote: »
    yo sherry can you add my mate : Attractive_Aidan to the whitelist?

Cheers...

That's sorted, sorry. I must've missed him. Sorry Dime!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Kharn wrote: »
    Awesome prank.

Hahah I wouldn't call it a prank! I would pay someone to do that to my office! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,000 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just curious about the google map and how often it updates itself?

every 2 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,000 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Korvanica wrote: »
    every 2 seconds

yeah the positions but the geography doesnt seem to be changing, i noticed this with a new tunnel i was digging yesterday and just put it up to it being obscured from other underground stuff, but as a test i made two changes,1 last night 1 today, on the ground level that should be visible but havent showed up yet

oh right yea, sorry thought you meant players..:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

VinLieger wrote: »
    yeah the positions but the geography doesnt seem to be changing, i noticed this with a new tunnel i was digging yesterday and just put it up to it being obscured from other underground stuff, but as a test i made two changes,1 last night 1 today, on the ground level that should be visible but havent showed up yet

I've noticed this as well. The geography hasnt updated in the last 24 hours at least because it shows the roof of my mansion as it was a couple of days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

The world has to be imported regularly like a cartograph...

Maybe we could setup a timeframe of when people would like it updated

Tallon wrote: »
    The world has to be imported regularly like a cartograph...

Maybe we could setup a timeframe of when people would like it updated

every couple of days or even once a week is probably best to minimize downtime and workload on cherry.

Its not 100% necessary to have the map... I mainly use it to see whos online and where people are..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I always thought it auto updated. If the server needs to be taken offline than it shouldnt be more than once a week or at cherrys convenience.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What Tal said, it needs to be re-rendered by issue of command, and that crashes the server, so yeah. Best not do it every day. Once/twice a week is enough. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

What Tal said, it needs to be re-rendered by issue of command, and that crashes the server, so yeah. Best not do it every day. Once/twice a week is enough. :P

Does it run off the game files on the hard-drive? Could you maybe copy them, then point the map thing at the copy then play away on the original while it renders?

Promac wrote: »
    Does it run off the game files on the hard-drive? Could you maybe copy them, then point the map thing at the copy then play away on the original while it renders?

That would basically mean running an identical server in parallel. It only renders if a server is running online, it doesn't work any other way

Aha, I thought it would just look at the chunk files and use them - does it actually connect to the server then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It's a mod running on the server...

You mean software that's running as part of the minecraft server or running on the same computer as the minecraft server?

A mapping program shouldn't need any access to the minecraft server process as all the map info is stored on the hard-drive as text files. If it's a separate program from minecraft then you could just point it to a copy of the files without having to have 2 servers running on the same computer.

ANYWAY - this version will only update changes to the map files so it doesn't need a complete re-render every time:

https://github.com/brownan/Minecraft-Overviewer

It also looks quite cool. It takes an hour or so for the initial render and it's "MUCH faster" aparently after that - I get the impression you could just leave it running on the server computer. Scroll all the way down for documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

ANYWAY - this version will only update changes to the map files so it doesn't need a complete re-render every time:

https://github.com/brownan/Minecraft-Overviewer

It also looks quite cool. It takes an hour or so for the initial render and it's "MUCH faster" aparently after that - I get the impression you could just leave it running on the server computer. Scroll all the way down for documentation.

i've seen this before, it requires a bit of programming to get running; but it works really well. if the admins are up to the task, its definitely better than the cartograph option. couple of hours work on that, and you'll never have to update the map again.

thats what cians server uses actually....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Dime101

Ok thanks for the add.

I might get on for a bit tonight and start building something epic.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 32 Crism

Hey Im a mod on Majorgaming.eu, would like to have a look around please! : ]

username: Crism_oO

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

there is a crism on majorgaming that is a server mod in case you guys are worried of a griefer sneaking in

there is a crism on majorgaming that is a server mod in case you guys are worried of a griefer sneaking in

Errr no, I used to be on majorgaming. Not a bad bone in one of them. Don't assume thing like that. :rolleyes:

Added!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Errr no, I used to be on majorgaming. Not a bad bone in one of them. Don't assume thing like that. :rolleyes:

Added!
    It sounded like he was backing him up tbh ;)

Well I meant it in a way that whether he's mod or not doesn't matter. Everyone is welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Any chance of a whitelist please? Username is dlampkin

Ta :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭RedRebel

That would basically mean running an identical server in parallel. It only renders if a server is running online, it doesn't work any other way

The game server is running on a Linux server I presume? Would it be possible to set up a cronjob to do the re-render and restart the game server once render complete? Doing a remap and restart of the server at 4am every day should minimally impact on players?

I could give you a hand with the shell script if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Well I meant it in a way that whether he's mod or not doesn't matter. Everyone is welcome

Yes of course, I was merely checking the truth of the information given. you can never be too careful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

"GavMcG is contributing to the EU bailout by mining some gold ore for our beloved country!"

HAHAHAH! Fairplay Cherry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 broccli

hey hows it going, im lookin to get whitelisted on your server, username is broccli

cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement