Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Server [Survival][Whitelist][iZone][1.6.6][Google Maps]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

That could be cool actually, but who knows.

While we are on the topic of griefing, the ultimate griefing weapon:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuKBWrqbF8w&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭wires

Or do you mean before it because public knowledge, and you just thought "Ahh screw it, everyone will find out sooner or later".

nah, someone asked (cant remember now) where the rail that was in the wall goes. somebody else had obviously already chipped out some blocks. myself and nim (think spiritine was there also) went out there to supervise as it was clear that lots of people were going to try it out. u cant tell some people not to go near it as they will just wait till ur offline. everyone was well mannered and most went home after looking around. some saved home positions out there, some of these were just to look around but a few have been seen camping at the collection area of our trap. none of this bothered me much at first, what can i do about it right?...what has gotten on my nerves is the sporadic griefing. breaking blocks to get around locked doors, chipping away bits of glass, removing wool etc. i would like the opinions of some of the other guys on here...if i hadnt bothered to make my own trap but instead decided to camp in one of yours without even asking and sometimes beaking in to do so, what would your reactions be?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

What to do with the server? There are 2 real choices as I see it.

1) try deleting chunks from the current world and set a size limit.
    2) start again with a limited world.

Honestly? I think we should start a new world.

Unless of course people want to club together and pay for a new server, but it will not be cheap. RAM is the vital thing and hosting machines with lots of RAM don't come cheap. It's a shame Notch picked such a gods awful programming language to write this game in, if it'd been C or C++ then it could've been optimised properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

wires wrote: »
    somebody else had obviously already chipped out some blocks..... breaking blocks to get around locked doors, chipping away bits of glass, removing wool etc.
    This isn't only happening to you. Inside Xenon's house sections of the walls keep disappearing as if someone has been screwing around. Personally, I think it could be because of a bug in minecraft itself.

I have a little place in VoA, only really used it for testing a few things. Right now I have a house that's made completely out of [Private] doors, meaning no one can open the doors but me, and no one can tunnel in (since you can't destroy a [Private] sign or the thing that's privatised (or the block underneath it if it's a door)). However, the exact same two doors and one sign are always missing when I'm gone. Only an admin can do that, and none have.

Chances are that if it's tunnels around doors then it is someone trying to get in, but some random damage that's consistent could very well be attributed to the same thing that's messing up my doors.

the idea of renting a server opens up a whole other can o worms. who pays for it? i wouldnt mind chipping in but it would be hard then to get new people to join with a membership fee, dont think it would be fair to ask a few to pay for the whole server. also some people simply cannot afford to pay anything. im not saying its a bad idea or we should forget about it. just needs a lot of careful planning if thats the road we all decide on. deleting chunks sounds like torture given the size of the map but i think thats the plan ATM. i have to say i have mixed feelings about starting fresh. on the one hand i have a lot of stuff built, as do others but on the other hand i like the idea of all of us getting together to build a new town.

• Advertisement

This isn't only happening to you.
    oh i know, if it is a bug as you say i will feel like a total gimp for getting annoyed about it but it seems too specific to be a bug imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 NimRodMS

<snip>
    I'm getting way too worked up over this and Kharn has given me a 3 day ban for it.

Nimrod's been given 3 days off to cool down cause he's clearly getting way too worked up over this. I would suggest everyone else drops the matter, ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Kharn wrote: »
    Unless of course people want to club together and pay for a new server, but it will not be cheap. RAM is the vital thing and hosting machines with lots of RAM don't come cheap. It's a shame Notch picked such a gods awful programming language to write this game in, if it'd been C or C++ then it could've been optimised properly.

What kinda of price would that be for something suitable? heard of other servers doing this as it grew bigger, suggesting donations to help run the server in return for some commands such as "tp".

Crow92 wrote: »
    What kinda of price would that be for something suitable? heard of other servers doing this as it grew bigger, suggesting donations to help run the server in return for some commands such as "tp".
    Essentially making the game micro-transaction based. If people wish to contribute towards a server then good for them, but that shouldn't mean that they get an unfair advantage in a survival based server.

• Advertisement

I just looked at Amazon Web Services there - basic of basic packages (which I'm reasonably certain would work and a quick Google says yes) is around €840 a year / €70 a month. Something similar (with less RAM) is around the €60 a month mark from Digiweb (current server host).

So not exactly cheap tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Zantergog

there is a solution to some of these problems as I see it.

Implement the use of the "\claim" command on the server.

You then can have a completely secure area where people can't grief or break in.

Therefore you don't need to wander into the middle of nowhere, keeping RAM usage down. Peeps can be added to the "claim" list.

We could also have community zones/mines as well.

What do you think people? seems to solve a lot of issues.

EDIT: still can't get into the server...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Zantergog wrote: »
    We could also have community zones/mines as well.

What do you think people? seems to solve a lot of issues.
    We have a mine, and we have a community town. The problem with it IMO is that it's full of derelict buildings so people have to move away as they can't build in it when they first join.

Also It lags really bad in the town for me, too many buildings I think.

/claim sounds good to me, assuming its stable. another option maybe to remove multiple homes, just have the one /home like it used to be. not sure about this one myself but id be interested to see others opinions on it. it would stop people building way out there if it takes half an hour to get there. a few people have been saying that alright, the town is deserted...all the houses and only a half dozen live there. why dont we build something like in that time lapse video on another thread? nice big awesome town, lots of stock houses and each player gets 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I've used it quite a bit but frankly I'd like to see the end of home/back commands - it just encourages going ridiculous lengths away from spawn and going on individual cave hunts and not being careful when exploring.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Is the server still down?

Just a quick question, if the world size was to be limited, what would the size be?

Say, 5k x 5k?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've been on other servers and claiming land ended up in non stop arguing with people claiming land next to each other. Not that I'm against the idea. I'm still not at a PC btw, won't be until tomorrow evening.

As with Cossax, I like the idea of no homes, or maybe one at max. And yeah, I reckon 5000x5000 would be the limit on this current server. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a new world with towny implemented immediately, along with /claim and restricted homes. Its another kettle of fish. I spend more time trying to keep the server stable rather than playing it as it is :pac:

Well, as myself and a few others said a while back, I think that towny would only really work from the very beginning of a server and kept running consistently the whole way through.

On actually using it though, I don't think I have the same enthusiasm as when it was first brought up. I prefer everyone working as one community together as opposed to several communities against each other.

Also, if we do end up going to a new map, then a single /home would be better. It would mean transport is actually used and not just there for a one time thing. I also thought that a massive area at the spawn, a huge town for everyone who joined, each with their own allotted plot and with plenty of room to spare (for more people who join) would be a good idea. I already tried this small scale with BlandVille, but I mean massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Padman

Any chance I can get whitelisted on this server?Same username as boards name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

On actually using it though, I don't think I have the same enthusiasm as when it was first brought up. I prefer everyone working as one community together as opposed to several communities against each other.

I dont think it would be so bad though. A little friendly rivalry might be fun. And it'd give the different towns a bit of personality.

In any case im starting to warm a bit more to the idea of starting a new map. Maybe we could open a new thread and take a vote on it and have suggestions or feedback on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭electronige

I like the idea of just scaling back the map and setting world limits like 5k x5k still gives us 97,656.25 chunks in which to build and if anyone was looking for something rare ie pumpkins im sure cherry could regrow them from time to time ,and I would chip in some money for some new ram if it came to it.
    but niallers, prisoner42 and I wouldnt be keen on rebuilding our larger projects and I would of thought alot of others wouldnt be either

yes rebuilding would be a pain , but I like the idea of one home, so we would be into using the transport. The fun thing about MP is the community aspect. I also feel a pvp element would be good. I don't know towney but I'll look it up .

very sorry again for bringing the server down, im really looking forward to seeing the hole I made :)

Merc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

When you get a chance, please whitelist 'omgtbh'.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

very sorry again for bringing the server down, im really looking forward to seeing the hole I made :)

Merc
    It looks eerie, that everyone is still there on the map.

yes I spotted that :) where we died.

Still down? Ahh well :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Any idea when it will be back up?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

yes rebuilding would be a pain , but I like the idea of one home, so we would be into using the transport. The fun thing about MP is the community aspect. I also feel a pvp element would be good. I don't know towney but I'll look it up .

Merc
    Who?

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sorry this had to happen on the weekend off folks. Current status is:

The server is down and I'm downloading the map to be edited either tonight or tomorrow morning. Server will be back up tomorrow morning whether my edits worked or not.

I might scale back the number of homes to reduces the constant amount of chunk loading, though I'm not 100% sure whether thats part of the problem or not (it could be for people teleporting between multiple homes in a short time)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement