Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Server [Survival][Whitelist][iZone][1.6.6][Google Maps]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Excellent. I hated that thing. It doesn't belong on a survival server anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, it was trouble from the word go, mobs spawning under it and surviving well into day time etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Excellent. I hated that thing. It doesn't belong on a survival server anyway.

Tell me about it, it was right on top of my homestead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Sharrow wrote: »
    Tell me about it, it was right on top of my homestead.

Mine too neighbor! :P

I remember when i saw it for the first time. I emerged from my mine, which is near it, to see this gigantic shadow looming over me. I felt like i was in Independence Day when the alien mothership is flying in over the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Who built it?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Got whitelisted awhile ago but only getting round to playing online now, really impressed with the server :) I've so much to learn!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Savage Beat

Hey man, I'll have a look ASAP and throw it back in. Is your home completely gone btw? As in you cannot teleport to it at all, because your home is actually within border boundaries. Anywho, I'll have a look and let you know.

Also, for flow control, I'll have a look into that, didn't think I removed it, must of!

I actually cannot teleport to it at all. This 'home' was one that Mercvry and I set up around -7200. Way past the current border. It includes a mob trap and portal to the Nether. All our stuff is out there. Any help to get access to it would be very much appreciated. Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Aye I know, sorry. I'm working 11 hour shifts right up to next Thursday so I'm tight for time in terms of editing the map. I promise it will be done though!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭wires

I'm working 11 hour shifts

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Savage Beat

Aye I know, sorry. I'm working 11 hour shifts right up to next Thursday so I'm tight for time in terms of editing the map. I promise it will be done though!

Ummm, there is no panic, it is just a 'game'. :) just mind yourself. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

can you add Crossbutt to the whitelist plz? need to get him onto boards so he stops dragging me into his hamachi server; i miss my castle on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Kromdar wrote: »
    can you add Crossbutt to the whitelist plz? need to get him onto boards so he stops dragging me into his hamachi server; i miss my castle on boards!
    Done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

This server sounds like the place to be, id love to join in as soon as i break from my noobiness and learn what im doing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Honestly the server is in a bit of a lull. Community projects have all but died off, but the new border should help that a bit. I'm waiting to see if the server crashes before I add more features onto it. The server was crashing every two days and was a complete nightmare to manage, to add features and to host events.

I did some major rejigging over the weekend to fix the issues, so just crossing my fingers it doesnt crash anytime soon. If it doesn't, an end of exam event is on the cards :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That's one of the reasons I think a world reboot is a nice idea - rekindle that community spark and take what we've learned about working as a group from the current world and apply it to a new one with better structures in place to make things work.

All that said, what I'm proposing is just as doable on the current world as is, it's just a case of picking a spot :)

The server feels, at times, more like a creative server than a survival server. It'd be good to steer it back in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Zantergog

The server feels, at times, more like a creative server than a survival server. It'd be good to steer it back in the right direction.

humm, ok , so whats the right direction for a survival server?
    We reset the world, everyone on a blank canvas.
    Then after a week we have a town, mines, and prob mob traps sorted.

After a month , transport is in, homes are set. Farms built.. then what?

survival is only really tricky for a day or so at most, so after that, what do people do? get creative.. Build huge railroads, or mob traps or parks, or new towns, we don't need em. Once you have the mob trap down and a tree/mushroom farm you have mined enough supplies for most of your needs.

Creativity is the next step, building bigger , better just for the fun of it.
    We had 3 large mob traps, once the first 2 were up we had enough drops. The 3rd was done just for the kick. I built a great hall, blasting it out of the rocks, 40 blocks high and 200 long.. just because...

I'm interested in how a 'pure' survival server would go? Can cherry set the spawn of the mobs? or the toughness of them. I'm glad the golden apples went, it made things tougher. I think tough is good. However theres nothing wrong with creativity!

Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tankran

Perhaps make creeper explode range larger, higher hp, higher damage on skeles and even random ghasts on the normal world? Would be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Zantergog wrote: »

survival is only really tricky for a day or so at most, so after that, what do people do? get creative.. Build huge railroads, or mob traps or parks, or new towns, we don't need em. Once you have the mob trap down and a tree/mushroom farm you have mined enough supplies for most of your needs.

We had 3 large mob traps, once the first 2 were up we had enough drops. The 3rd was done just for the kick. I built a great hall, blasting it out of the rocks, 40 blocks high and 200 long.. just because...

I'm interested in how a 'pure' survival server would go? Can cherry set the spawn of the mobs? or the toughness of them. I'm glad the golden apples went, it made things tougher. I think tough is good. However theres nothing wrong with creativity!

Merc.
    You can always disable mob traps with a plugin....
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mech-fix-normalizeddrops-v1-0-2-nerf-monster-traps-818.15712/

• Advertisement

Zantergog wrote: »

Merc.

The thing with survival is that buildings should have more realism that the fantastic type buildings we'd see on Tallon's server. For example someone was building a space ship on the current map. And despite the fact it was cool and very impressive i couldn't help thinkig that it felt more suited to a Tallons server. The same could be said for the pixel art.

A survival server should have things like towns, castles, fortresses, outposts that kind of thing. At least thats what i think it should have.

Maybe disabling mob traps mightnt be a bad idea either. It'd make getting arrows, gunpowder etc a bit more challenging and give those items a bit more value.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

The thing about building creative things on a survival server is that you worked for those materials, so it's more rewarding than simply copy/pasting hundreds of diamond block floors.

I think that the rewards for actually killing mobs properly is a good idea, but as for what the rewards are I don't know. Eventually everyone is perfectly self sufficient and it turns into a limited creative server again. Which I'm okay with by the way, not saying the server has turned into something unplayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Zantergog

you can't limit peoples creativity. It's what minecraft is all about.
    My point is , once you get the towns/castles you need, what then?
    The game goes stale very quickly.

We need to build community stuff. and im thinking a new map would help now...

Oh and take the train from the end of the skytown slab to see the hole I made that crashed the server. The tracks not totally complete yet and needs to be tested, but I'll eventually be running it right down the hole.

might even expand .....

We've currently got a little webpage on Planet Minecraft. If anyone has any other pictures worthy to upload onto it, let me know :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ooh, I got into that. :D But where's the Western Town? I never heard of it and it looks brilliant.

You can get there by taking the dark blue line at the station near spawn. Takes about 5 minutes by train but enjoy the views :P Its cherrytown :D Some of the lads done wonders on it, there's even a water tower at the top of a hill near the town

Cavern City is called Tavern City in the picture on the page and in the description.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tankran

Im debating taking down the partially started and entirely unfinished houses that are blocking up the place, ill put the materials in chests in the empty house on the corner and label them

I'm currently redoing the spawn area, turning it into a massive transport hub :D

• Advertisement

Cavern City is called Tavern City in the picture on the page and in the description.:D

Damn! Sorry, I'm a tool.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement