Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under a Tree

Options
  • 14-03-2011 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Would appreciate some advice. I'm not able to do heavy digging so got a nice man to do it for me. He dug a lovely circular patch around the base of an old Maple tree, I'd guess a radius of around 4-5ft. I'd like to plant something in there and I suggest I'd like herbs but the man said when the leaves fall in autumn it would be messy on the herbs. Does anyone here have any other ideas please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Spring bulbs are usually good under any tree

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Would appreciate some advice. I'm not able to do heavy digging so got a nice man to do it for me. He dug a lovely circular patch around the base of an old Maple tree, I'd guess a radius of around 4-5ft. I'd like to plant something in there and I suggest I'd like herbs but the man said when the leaves fall in autumn it would be messy on the herbs. Does anyone here have any other ideas please.

Fallen leaf from a Maple shouldn't be too difficult to tidy up. as the previous Poster suggested, planting Spring bulbs is good but relatively a short lived
    display. For an all year colourful display you could combine various ornamental grasses (eg Carex Evergold, Acorus Ogon, Ophiopogon Nigresens, Japanese Imperata) or groundcover planting like Pachysandra Green Carpet, Liriope Muscari etc). You can also add spring bulbs, recommend Dwarf daffodil Narcissi or Paper White.

Herbs are best grown in full sun, so under a tree isn't such a good place. You haven't indicated which Maple variety, large or Dwarf? If large, you could also consider dwarf Rhodendron or Azalea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I dunno the variety of Maple - it was there when we moved in 23 years ago and it was a big 'un then. The trunk looks a bit the worse for wear but it keeps producing the green+cream leaves every year and looks lovely so I want to keep it for as long as I can. Will take your advice on board. I like the idea of grasses or ground cover. Thanks a lot - I'm quite the novice as I'm sure you can tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

I dunno the variety of Maple - it was there when we moved in 23 years ago and it was a big 'un then. The trunk looks a bit the worse for wear but it keeps producing the green+cream leaves every year and looks lovely so I want to keep it for as long as I can. Will take your advice on board. I like the idea of grasses or ground cover. Thanks a lot - I'm quite the novice as I'm sure you can tell!

Maple with green /cream leaf sounds like
    Acer platanoides Drummondii

Like the Idea of a bed of Azaleas, some nice scented deciduous types, also the Autumn Colour foliage...

I have heavy clay soil which I don't think is right for Azaleas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

You could add masses of organic material and grit/sand amd make in to a raised bed Azaleas are shallow rooting so it need not be that deep...

Don't know of any "dwarf" deciduous azaleas...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Simple add plenty of ericaceous soil conditioner, and you'll have no problems.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Advertisement