Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stand Up for the Champions - LoI 18 / 19 March

• 14-03-2011 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

Some belters in there this weekend. Rovers v Pats and Dundalk v Bohs will tell a lot about the respective starts. If Rovers can beat Pats, 9 from 9 against the three teams expected to challenge, I really can't see what will stop us.

Friday, 18 Mar 2011
    Premier Division Bray Wanderers 19:45 Sligo Rovers Carlisle Grounds, Bray

Premier Division Dundalk 19:45 Bohemian FC Oriel Park, Dundalk,

Premier Division Galway United 19:45 U.C.D. Terryland Park

Premier Division Drogheda United 19:45 Derry City Hunky Dorys Park, Drogheda,

Premier Division Shamrock Rovers 19:45 St. Patrick's Athletic Tallaght Stadium, Tallaght,

First Division Cork City 19:45 Limerick Turners Cross

First Division Finn Harps 20:00 Monaghan United Finn Park,

First Division Shelbourne 20:00 Wexford Youths Tolka Park, ,

Saturday, 19 Mar 2011
    First Division Salthill Devon 19:00 Athlone Town Drom,

First Division Longford Town 19:30 Mervue United Flancare Park, Lonfgord,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Thread title fail tbh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

8pm start in Tallaght I think...

The win in Sligo gives Rovers some breathing space for this game, a tight close 1-0/0-0/0-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Leinster Senior Cup Champions? FAI Cup Champions? Awh sure just everyone stand up for all the champions in the world!

Hopefully we don't make a meal out of this Wexford match like we did in Longford and by all accounts in Carlow yesterday. A Conan Byrne hat-trick will do nicely for my Top Goalscorer bet too.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Will the Pats game be televised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

If Rovers can beat Pats, 9 from 9 against the three teams expected to challenge, I really can't see what will stop us.

Nobody will stop Rovers this season due to the size of their budget/squad. It happens in every league in the world. The team with the most money nearly always wins the league.

It's a shame for the LOI that the team that will win the league will be the team playing the worst brand of football though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

doncarlos wrote: »
    It's a shame for the LOI that the team that will win the league will be the team playing the worst brand of football though.

I thought it was only sligs who flogged this dead horse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

This is gas, weve beat Dundalk handy twice already this season (once with our A team) and its barely two weeks old. In fact we've played four, won four across three competitions and only shipped two goals, while scoring nine. Weve beat the western Brazil in their own patch. Yet our "style" of play isnt up to scratch.

Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

No many other fans do recognise **** hoofball when they see it.

edolan wrote: »
    No many other fans do recognise **** hoofball when they see it.

As Ciaran says, we don't actually play hoofball, but carry on anyway.

"No-one likes us, we don't care...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

A lot must have changed since the FAI Cup Final so.

• Advertisement

Nope, I'm with them on this one and plenty of other opposition fans too.

CiaranC wrote: »
    This is gas, weve beat Dundalk handy twice already this season (once with our A team) and its barely two weeks old. In fact we've played four, won four across three competitions and only shipped two goals, while scoring nine. Weve beat the western Brazil in their own patch. Yet our "style" of play isnt up to scratch.

Laughable.

Rovers' style of play is effective but not very pretty to watch. You'll easily win the league this season and will do it playing rubbish football.

I didn't expect Dundalk to beat Rovers in Tallaght, in fact if you look through the pre-games thread you'll find that I correctly predicted a 3-1 victory. However I was shocked at how bad Rovers where. Clueless in the first half and but for playing against 10 men wouldn't have gotten anything from the game.

Since when??

A lot must have changed since the FAI Cup Final so.

Yes. 11 players out and 8 in.

Nope, I'm with them on this one and plenty of other opposition fans too.
    http://vimeo.com/20460437

Here we are beating Dundalk with our youth team. Wheres the hoofball?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's all they have left after making stuff up about squads or wages or losses, now it's the football, it'll be something else next week

dfx- wrote: »
    It's all they have left after making stuff up about squads or wages or losses, now it's the football, it'll be something else next week

I could post a few more videos of well worked moves and decent passing play, but then we'd be back to "you burned our villages and raped our women" stuff. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

This is gas, weve beat Dundalk handy twice already this season (once with our A team) and its barely two weeks old.
    Laughable.
    Beat us handy twice!!! You're having a laugh. We were well on top until we got our goalkeeper sent off up in your place. And although you did play a weakened team in our place we missed three absolute sitters that night and Gary O'Neill (definitely not an A-Team player) proved the difference in the end.

dfx- wrote: »

If we're talking about making stuff up I'd refer you to that fountain of knowledge ONYD and his tales of why Ndo and other didn't take part in pre season for us. Surprisingly he was less than forthcoming with actual links or sources.

Though I do find your own fans obsession with our financial well-being amusing if rather repetitive.

http://vimeo.com/20460437

Here we are beating Dundalk with our youth team. Wheres the hoofball?

Four minutes of highlights of a mickey mouse competition proves Rovers no longer play hoofball??

Any highlights of A-Championship or U17 games they might help you prove your point also.

Also if Craig Sives, Pat Flynn, Stephen O’Donnell, Paddy Kavanagh, Ciarán Kilduff and Gary O’Neill are youth team players can we loan some from you please?? Surely being youth players and all they could do with getting some experience playing first team football.

gustavo wrote: »
    If we're talking about making stuff up I'd refer you to that fountain of knowledge ONYD and his tales of why Ndo and other didn't take part in pre season for us. Surprisingly he was less than forthcoming with actual links or sources.

Though I do find your own fans obsession with our financial well-being amusing if rather repetitive.

I've said all I will on it. Ndo is not match fit because Sligs refused to pay up more than two weeks before the season, meanig 2 weeks of pre-season were unpaid. Unsurprisingly Ndo was having none of it and stayed on his holidays.

Ndo made sure a journalist I know, amongst others, was fully aware of this and that he was not actually injured, despite what Sligs were saying. He didn't print it however.

We don't give a shít about your financial well-being. We want you to stop cheating with under the table payments.

• Advertisement

I'd like it if you lot stopped cheating with under the table payments , I have no evidence for this but a journalist friend told me.

He decided not to print it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Admittedly tne Showgrounds was a bit ugly on Saturday what with hard tackles, persistent bullying of the ref to send players off and speculative balls. And that was just Sligo....

Anybody that was really at the Dundalk and Sligo game and thought all we played was hoofball is either telling lies about being there, knows nothing about football or is fishing for back-slaps from their thanks-buddies on here.

The truth lies somewhere between the poles of Brazilian Sligo and Wimbledon Rovers if you care to look.

stovelid wrote: »
    Anybody that was really at the Dundalk and Sligo game and thought all we played was hoofball is either telling lies about being there, knows nothing about football or is fishing for back-slaps from their thanks-buddies on here.

Who apart from Rovers fans were at both Dundalk and Sligo games?

Rovers did try and play some football in the second half against Dundalk but it's not very difficult when playing against 10 men. I'd be fairly confident they would have continued to hoof it if it was 11v11 and Dundalk would have won the game

Four minutes of highlights of a mickey mouse competition proves Rovers no longer play hoofball??

Any highlights of A-Championship or U17 games they might help you prove your point also.
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1093434

16 minutes in. How many of these three goals we put past you in Tallaght came from long balls from the back?

Thats right. None.

You sir, are a spoofer. You obviously werent at either game. Tallaght should have been at least 6-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Who the fúck are "sligs"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1093434

16 minutes in. How many of these three goals we put past you in Tallaght came from long balls from the back?

Thats right. None.

You sir, are a spoofer. You obviously werent at either game. Tallaght should have been at least 6-1.

Tallaght should have been 6-1 because you had an extra man. You must admit that Dundalk were all over you before Cherrie was sent off.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Tallaght should have been 6-1 because you had an extra man. You must admit that Dundalk were all over you before Cherrie was sent off.
    We were poor and pretty disjointed in the first half. We raised out game considerably in the second and were comfortably the better team. You are hardly suggesting that the extra man was worth 6 goals to us? You are a betting man, surely youd be on backing against every team who had a man sent off if it was so easy to just saunter past ten men?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

SantryRed wrote: »

We beat the same team two weeks before with only 2 first 11 players.

If Cherrie didnt foul him, we'd have scored and probally would have seen a different game again. One I'm confident we still would have won.

All this conditional tense is making my head hurt. Sure all this could have happened, but it didnt. What did happen is we beat 2 out of the 4 title contenders using ultimatly good football. Sure we arnt going to shake barca up much with our play, but its far from hoofball.

gustavo wrote: »
    I'd like it if you lot stopped cheating with under the table payments , I have no evidence for this but a journalist friend told me.

He decided not to print it too.

So the first place you heard the under the table rumours was from me?

Will you get up the yard. That allegation has been following you for as long as I have been following LoI ball. Which is a long time.

• Advertisement

A spoofer you say? I was at Tallaght and yes Rovers could have had more goals. Rovers played the second half against 10 men which included an 18 year old centre half making his debút and playing out of position at right back.
    Dundalk could also have been 2-0 up before the sending off. Would you deny this or are you a spoofer also?

By the way Ciaran, a football match lasts for 90 minutes + injury time. Highlights of Rovers playing football for two or three minutes does absolutely nothing to prove Rovers don't hoof the ball for the other 87.

Highlights of Rovers playing football for two or three minutes does absolutely nothing to prove Rovers don't hoof the ball for the other 87.

Are you honestly saying that Rovers hoofed the ball for the majority of that game? Ditto up at Sligo?

This place is getting like fool.ie. Banter is one thing (and a welcome thing) but people are letting their dislike of a team flavour how they percieve games.

Plus nobody gives a shit that Cherie got sent off or the age of your full-back. That's an issue for your club and Cherie for taking a player out to prevent a goal. What are teams supposed to do - stop trying to win because their opponents get a man sent off?
    Who apart from Rovers fans were at both Dundalk and Sligo games?

I thought you went to them all as you know so much about the football we play, home and away?

Are you honestly saying that Rovers hoofed the ball for the majority of that game? Ditto up at Sligo?
    Hoofed the ball for almost the entire first half of Dundalk match. Like I'm said in my earlier posts Rovers did try and play football in the second half of Dundalk match when a man up.
    This place is getting like fool.ie. Banter is one thing (and a welcome thing) but people are letting their dislike of a team flavour how they percieve games.

So people only think Rovers play poor football because they don't like them?
    Plus nobody gives a shit that Cherie got sent off or the age of your full-back. That's an issue for your club and Cherie for taking a player out to prevent a goal. What are teams supposed to do - stop trying to win because their opponents get a man sent off?

Not at all. I do believe these were however the catalysts that allowed Rovers to play football. Had these not have occurred Rovers would have persisted with the hoof ball football they displayed in the first half of the match and in games against Dundalk the previous season.
    I thought you went to them all as you know so much about the football we play, home and away?

Any time I have seen Rovers play against Dundalk or on the telly they hoof ball. Maybe they save all their footballing until I'm not watching.

Like I'm said in my earlier posts Rovers did try and play football in the second half of Dundalk match when a man up.

So 97% is a bit off really as they played football for the entire second half. And I don't buy the fact that the first half was full of hoofball either. I think the good half was as much the players gelling and serttling down as the ten men.

So people only think Rovers play poor football because they don't like them?

I do actually. Well, more accurately, I think the tag of 100% hoofball is applied inaccurately and I think it has something to do with the poor perception of Rovers overall. In very much the same way, Sligo's football (even when they don't actually play any) is adopted as the force of good for the very same reason.

I saw plenty of football from us last season and also hoofball of course. This season there seems to be far less long ball to my eyes.

This effect seems to be growing (witness Sligo fans losing it over Saturday, albeit not on this forum) as the assumption grows that Rovers are going to win the league. And I'm not a tin-foil hat wearer or somebody that thinks that Rovers winning the league is a dead-cert because it ain't by a long shot.

Plus if you want an example of effective and brutal football, look no further than your 5-1 win over us last season. Your tactics involved hammering us all over the pitch and belting dasiy cutters along the wet surface at Mannus. To great effect, it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

It really is, i usually don't buy into the 'obsessed with us' ****e but lads nearly every thread turns into this crap now.

So 97% is a bit off really as they played football for the entire second half. And I don't buy the fact that the first half was full of hoofball either. I think the good half was as much the players gelling and serttling down as the ten men.

I was making a point that you couldn't use 3 minutes of the best footage to prove that a team played good football. If you take the best 3 minutes of any team against any opposition you could therefore argue that they play good football.
    Of course the first half wasn't full of hoof ball but there was a lot more hoofball than football. As soon as Cherrie was sent off I thought Rovers were going to rip us to shreds but we were never stretched at all until the second half. It is not sour grapes. The better side one and it was a well deserved victory.

I do actually. Well, more accurately, I think the tag of 100% hoofball is applied inaccurately and I think it has something to do with the poor perception of Rovers overall. In very much the same way, Sligo's football (even when they don't actually play any) is adopted as the force of good for the very same reason.

Would agree with the first part I don't think there is any 100% hoof ball teams and there are no 100% footballing teams (Barca aside). I can only gauge on what I witness myself in either games against Dundalk or on television. Sligo played poorly against us in games last season too but always tried to play football. My opinion of Rovers style of play has nothing do do with any hatred of Rovers.
    I saw plenty of football from us last season and also hoofball of course. This season there seems to be far less long ball to my eyes.
    I didn't see much football from Rovers (Did miss 4-0 in Tallaght due to the GAA though ;) ) but it was effective as your title proves. I have no problem in you referencing me to this forum and admitting I was wrong if I see Rovers play football for the remainder of the season.
    This effect seems to be growing (witness Sligo fans losing it over Saturday, albeit not on this forum) as the assumption grows that Rovers are going to win the league. And I'm not a tin-foil hat wearer or somebody that thinks that Rovers winning the league is a dead-cert because it ain't by a long shot.

You must be the only one apart from a few Sligo fans that doesn't think it's a dead cert so! ;)

Plus if you want an example of effective and brutal football, look no further than your 5-1 win over us last season. Your tactics involved hammering us all over the pitch and belting dasiy cutters along the wet surface at Mannus. To great effect, it must be said.

I have watched that game (not just the highlights) about four or five times and we played some great football that day. Scoreline aside it was one of our best performances of the year. We have also played some absolute muck in other games though and started to panic and resorted to hoof ball.

• Advertisement

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    It really is, i usually don't buy into the 'obsessed with us' ****e but lads nearly every thread turns into this crap now.

It'll get worse.

S.R.F.C. wrote: »

Look at the thread title and part of the first paragraph

"If Rovers can beat Pats, 9 from 9 against the three teams expected to challenge, I really can't see what will stop us. "

But no, the thread turned to talking about Rovers because we all hate you..... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

So the first place you heard the under the table rumours was from me?
    You are the main culprit for the ****e talk alright. I've heard nothing to back up your ridiculous statements, except of course your well connected unidentifiable (read; imaginary) mate.

Spoofer of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

yawn

Any televised matches?

AgileMyth wrote: »
    You are the main culprit for the ****e talk alright. I've heard nothing to back up your ridiculous statements, except of course your well connected unidentifiable (read; imaginary) mate.

Spoofer of the highest order.

Right. So Sligo weren't caught giving Chris Turner an illegal payment. I have made all this up and the whole rumour going back years eminates from me.

Flattering, but try a lot harder

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Right. So Sligo weren't caught giving Chris Turner an illegal payment. I have made all this up and the whole rumour going back years eminates from me.
    Rumour going back years? First I've heard. The Chris Turncoat payment story has no basis in truth.

In other news you'll be glad to know that the 15 year old assaulted by your scumbag 'element' on Saturday is getting on alright. Should be back in school next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

said at start of the season rovers would walk it....id be extremely surprised if rovers dont beat bohs record this season.

Rumour going back years? First I've heard. The Chris Turncoat payment story has no basis in truth.

In other news you'll be glad to know that the 15 year old assaulted by your scumbag 'element' on Saturday is getting on alright. Should be back in school next week.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

A home league match for the first time since October.... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Zebra3 wrote: »
    A home league match for the first time since October.... :cool:
    Can't wait! Won't be the same without Burdocks though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I saw somebody getting carted into that ambulance outside the Showgrounds but I didn't know it was a kid. They made an awful mistake letting them both out at the same time, good few digs thrown. It got pretty nasty at one stage as the Gardai just looked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Logged onto the soccer forum, saw a LOI thread for the weekends fixtures. "4 pages!!" says I, great stuff, good to see the good buzz about this season is continuing. People are obviously excited about the upcoming fixtures.

30 seconds into reading thread...skipped to end and posted this. More crap in the middle than a constipated fat man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

niallo24 wrote: »
    Logged onto the soccer forum, saw a LOI thread for the weekends fixtures. "4 pages!!" says I, great stuff, good to see the good buzz about this season is continuing. People are obviously excited about the upcoming fixtures.

30 seconds into reading thread...skipped to end and posted this. More crap in the middle than a constipated fat man.

You're right. It's fucking awful. Internet football forums should be made illegal. So are there any games on tele this weekend? I don't want any he said/she said shite. I just want a simple answer to a simple question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Looking forward to the game, although, we could get a hiding. Our defence is fcuking ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Don't think there's a game on the box lads, Rovers Pats and Dundalk Bohs would be the obvious picks, wish RTE would announce their whole schedule.

Pats lads how's Daly been lookin for yous? Seems to be doing all right going by the limited MNS footage. Are yous that worried about the defence yeah? What's happened to it?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement