Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dad's and depression.

Options
  • 14-03-2011 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭

There have been some new studies done on the effect of the 1st year of a babies lives not just on the new Mams but also the new Dads.
    New Dads can suffer parental related depression esp in the first year with the upheaval and the lack of sleep.

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/parenting-family/2011-03-14-sad-dads_N.htm
    CHICAGO (AP) — Just like new moms, new fathers can be depressed, and a study found a surprising number of sad dads spanked their 1-year-olds.

About 40% of depressed fathers in a survey said they'd spanked kids that age, versus just 13% of fathers who weren't depressed. Most dads also had had recent contact with their child's doctor — a missed opportunity to get help, authors of the study said.

The American Academy of Pediatrics and many child development experts warn against spanking children of any age. Other studies have shown that kids who are spanked are at risk of being physically abused and becoming aggressive themselves.

The researchers said spanking is especially troubling in children who are only 1, because they could get injured and they "are unlikely to understand the connection between their behavior and subsequent punishment."

The study was released online Monday in the journal Pediatrics.

The authors analyzed data on 1,746 fathers from a nationally representative survey in 16 large U.S. cities, conducted in 1999-2000. Lead author Dr. Neal Davis said that was the most recent comprehensive data on the subject, and he believes it is relevant today. Depression among fathers is strongly tied to unemployment rates, which are much higher now than a decade ago, he said.

The men were questioned about depression symptoms, spanking and interactions with their 1-year-olds, but weren't asked why they spanked or whether it resulted in physical harm.

Overall, 7% of dads had experienced recent major depression.

Some likely had a history of depression, but in others it was probably tied to their children's birth, similar to postpartum depression in women, Davis said. A pediatrician now with Intermountain Healthcare in Murray, Utah, Davis did the research while at the University of Michigan.

Postpartum depression is more common in women; by some estimates as many as 25% develop it shortly after childbirth. Severe cases have been linked with suicide and with deaths in children including several high-profile drownings.

Less is known about depression in new dads and the study raises important awareness about an under-recognized problem, said Dr. Craig Garfield, an assistant pediatrics professor at Northwestern University and co-author of a Pediatrics editorial.

With fathers increasingly spending time on child care, including taking their kids to routine doctor visits, it's important for pediatricians to pay attention to dads' mental health, Garfield said. Close to 80% of depressed and non-depressed dads had recent contact with their child's doctor, according to the study.

Davis said his office is working on screening dads for depression and offering referrals to mental health services — a practice he and his co-authors recommend for all pediatricians.

Chris Illuminati, a Lawrenceville, N.J., writer and stay-at-home dad with a 1-year-old son, says he read postpartum brochures the pediatrician gave his wife during an office visit. He said he found himself silently answering yes to questions about symptoms.

Illuminati said he'd never experienced depression, but starting from the time his son was a few months old, he began feeling unusually down, sleep-deprived, trapped and resentful toward a baby who slept fitfully and had disrupted his life.

The 33-year-old father stressed that he loves his little boy, and has never spanked him, but has felt the frustration that might lead others to do so.

"There have been times where I've wanted to, but I've pulled back," Illuminati said.

Overall, 15% of fathers had recently spanked their children. Besides being more likely to spank, depressed dads were less likely to read to their kids — an activity the researchers called part of positive parenting. About equal numbers of depressed and non-depressed dads reported other positive interactions, such as playing games with their kids. The researchers said reading requires more focus that may be difficult when depressed.

Illuminati said he had been finding ways to avoid his son once his wife got home from work, and realized he probably needed help. "I didn't know who to talk to. I felt like a wuss if I mentioned it to anyone," he said.

Blogging about fatherhood helped, he said, and his sadness has mostly subsided now that his son is older.

"It should be studied," Illuminati said. "The hardest part is going to be getting guys to talk about it ... or even recognize it."

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Some likely had a history of depression, but in others it was probably tied to their children's birth, similar to postpartum depression in women, Davis said. A pediatrician now with Intermountain Healthcare in Murray, Utah, Davis did the research while at the University of Michigan.

It looks like they need to firm up their research, plus that article is a bit all over the place. I didn't suffer depression, but did find it very stressful and exhausting, but that's part of the deal when you bring a little person into the world. I would imagine that educating fathers to be would be a massive step in the right direction in terms of what to expect in the months ahead and what are the warning signs to look out for to make sure Dad is doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

reminds me of my friend who recently became a dad and he had spent ages doing classes on what would happen during pregnancy, how to deal with labour etc and then once the baby arrived he realised he hadn't a clue what to do :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

RedXIV wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

reminds me of my friend who recently became a dad and he had spent ages doing classes on what would happen during pregnancy, how to deal with labour etc and then once the baby arrived he realised he hadn't a clue what to do :)

Doesn't he know there's an App for that! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It looks like they need to firm up their research, plus that article is a bit all over the place. I didn't suffer depression, but did find it very stressful and exhausting, but that's part of the deal when you bring a little person into the world. I would imagine that educating fathers to be would be a massive step in the right direction in terms of what to expect in the months ahead and what are the warning signs to look out for to make sure Dad is doing ok.

THey need to do this with everyone. It is a massive shell shock to the system. With no sleep, isolation, no time to eat, it would be weird if someone wasnt depressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

I think its so true men really have a had time or feel useless even when the baby is born some go head first and take over and some dont bother with them until they start to walk and talk. Its a real shame and I really hope more research is done on this. Mothers and fathers should have to go to all the checks after a birth in my opinion to have there own health checked. Its not plain sailing for anyone. Fathers do tend to stress alot about providing and get caught in that rut. But a fathers interaction and mental health is just as important as the mothers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ruonn32

The studies mentioned in the article used 'spanking' as the major tell-tale sign in detecting depression in new dads, but you don't have to be completely losing it with your child to be suffering from post partum depression surely? thinks its a seriously stressful time for new parents and this isnt talked about enough particularly amongst men. Depression on its own is so isolating and devastating, put that together with the pressures and responsibility you feel when the baby comes along and life can get pretty intolerable. Nobody talks about this and its just too embarrassing to admit to friends and family.
    Would anybody know of any support groups for new dads in the Dublin area?? Do these things even exist?? could really do with the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 UCPRegard

Hi ruonn32,

I will be looking to set up a baby and toddler group for Fathers, being a new Father myself with a 6mnth old. Not at a point yet to confirm any details but I will post as soon as can. Looking to start around August/September.

I will also be posting here to see what levels of interest there are etc so check in here around end of July, should have something started on that by then. If the interest is strong I'll push ahead.

Talk to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

With reference to the above post, My hubby would love a father and baby group, it would need to be weekends though. It's a great idea. Are there any around currently?

We just watched "what to expect when you're expecting" the other day. They have a bit in it where a new father joins "dudes group" - where dad's meet on Saturdays in the park with their kids and can talk openly, (what happens in dudes group stays in dudes group). It was quite funny :) Hubby was saying he'd love something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 UCPRegard

Hi MurdyWurdy,

I don't know of any running at present, happy to be corrected on that. I intend to be a stay at home dad and it will be aimed at this group at first, running during the week, but weekends won't be ruled out. Depends on levels of interest, scheduling preferences etc.

Thanks for your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Defo an eye opener for mothers & fathers when they have their 1st child. We're still not getting a full nights sleep & our daughter is 19 months this week. Getting much better thank god, but still at least 1 wake a night.

Doesn't help in Ireland when a mother is breastfeeding everyone keeps saying that the daddy will feel left out by not being able to give a bottle. Loads of people suggested that I should express so he could be involved. Total nonsense - there are so many other things he can do to bond with the baby, but I found that an awful lot of people said this to both me & him when we had the baby 1st, so people coming in constantly with suggestions like these don't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi UCPRegard,

I would certaintly be interested in a dads group if it gets going. think it would be a real help to talk to other new dads, especially to get some advice on some of the difficulties and frustrations new dads can face!
    talk soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

A baby and dad group would be *fantastic* - we tried to find one in Dublin but there seemed to be nothing out there. Weekends best for us too. Baby is 6 weeks old now :) Please keep us updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

UCPRegard wrote: »
    Hi ruonn32,

I will be looking to set up a baby and toddler group for Fathers, being a new Father myself with a 6mnth old. Not at a point yet to confirm any details but I will post as soon as can. Looking to start around August/September.

I will also be posting here to see what levels of interest there are etc so check in here around end of July, should have something started on that by then. If the interest is strong I'll push ahead.

Talk to you!

We would be really interested in this as well - I'm due at the end of October; himself would love a dads & babies group. Keep us posted!

Advertisement