Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish blessing as Gaeilge for St.Paddy's day

• 14-03-2011 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

I've got a request to say a blessing/phrase for an Irish themed Quiz night being the week that's in it next Friday out here in the styx of Portugal. If anyone can give me some humorous blessings as Gaeilge and if possible with their English translations as my Irish is rusty (not that it was ever great :o).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

1. Nár éalaí an braon ort!...May you hold your drink.
    2. Ó chraos an mheisce go scarair...(If above fails)...From the claws of booze may you be freed from.
    3. Folcadh i dtobar na naoi mbéithe agat....May you be dipped in the well of the nine muses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Go raibh maith agat Gal Greine. some nice little lines there.
    I think I found what would suit me for the occasion, it's light hearted but still sounds substantial. I think I know how to say it without making too much of a mess of it. Though not 100% on how you pronounce daibhir and saibhir. Is it like dour and sour or more like dibour and sighbour

http://www.irishpage.com/toasts/blessing.htm

Go raibh tú daibhir i mí-áidh
    Agus saibhir i mbeannachtaí
    Go mall ag déanamh namhaid, go luath a déanamh carad,
    Ach saibhir nó daibhir, go mall nó go luath,
    Nach raibh ach áthas agat
    Ón lá seo amach.

May you be poor in misfortune,
    Rich in blessings,
    Slow to make enemies,
    quick to make friends,
    But rich or poor, quick or slow,
    May you know nothing but happiness
    From this day forward

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

luckylucky wrote: »
    Though not 100% on how you pronounce daibhir and saibhir.
    dever and sever would be close enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

luckylucky wrote: »
    Though not 100% on how you pronounce daibhir and saibhir. Is it like dour and sour or more like dibour and sighbour
    byhookorbycrook suggestion is grand, but if you know French you can get really close to the sound by taking byhookorbycrook's suggestion but pronouncing the final r like a French j, or even better a French z.

Advertisement