Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i5 2500K vs i7 2600K Pure Gaming

Options
  • 14-03-2011 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Which would be the smart choice, money wise for €/fps?

I've seen some benches where they are only 1-3 fps average in difference, and some where the i5 sneaks ahead, but then CPU mark has them nearly 4K marks away from each other. Which would mean the (i7 2600K = i5 2500K + my Phenom x4 B40)

Price: HWVS: i7 2600K for €260
    Price: HWVS: i5 2500K for €181

I'm only concerned with gaming with these for the next year or two.

Suppose they'll both be crushed by the "Ivey Bridges" in 12 months time or so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I'm looking to buy the 2500k in the next week. Originally looked at the 2600k but everywhere basically said it was fools money, the difference in price is astronomically disproportionate to the difference in performance. You will hardly notice the difference gaming the only difference you will notice is your wallet being lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

sink wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy the 2500k in the next week. Originally looked at the 2600k but everywhere basically said it was fools money, the difference in price is astronomically disproportionate to the difference in performance. You will hardly notice the difference gaming the only difference you will notice is your wallet being lighter.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You might actually notice the i7 having worse performance than the i5. Hyper Threading can in certain cases decrease performance. In best case it can provide 15% boost to multithreaded stuff, but this rarely happens. In industrial use some high performance users (investment banks) disable HT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

i5-2500K, no doubt. It's the i5-750 of this generation, which is still a beast. the 750 was about €175 when it came out too, so the 2500K is the logical choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

As a 2600k owner, 2500k all the way!

Tis a beast, but I would have been just as happy and a lot richer with the 2500k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Definitely 2500k, I'm very happy with mine,
    it's the best bang for the buck, and it runs nice and cool. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Thanks lads.

Will be putting in the order for the i5 2500k next week or so.

And will I sink the extra cash into an P8P67 evo? because it seems to have a higher overclock ~ 4.8GHz stable.

Any notible performance difference in xfire boards with 1 x16 and 1 x4 pci-e slots?

Cheers for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

yea massive difference you'd want to atleast 8x and 8x when running crossfire and sli also the result clockspeed depends on the exact cpu more so than the mobo but the mobo can help tho in fairness.

the MSI P67A-GD55 is meant to be a decent over clocker and suport crossfire and sli too:
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43884&agid=1601

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I will most likely go for the G65 as well, or maybe the Giga UD4.

Too many issues with Asus's P67 offerings from what i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I will most likely go for the G65 as well, or maybe the Giga UD4.

Too many issues with Asus's P67 offerings from what i can see.

Curious as to know these issues; was about to go for a P67 myself.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

oceanclub wrote: »
    Curious as to know these issues; was about to go for a P67 myself.

P.

i have no proof of my above comment at first hand.

However, since the launch of the p67 boards, i think it is fair to say that Asus's boards have had the most amount of problems.

The main one was double booting from a cold boot.

Of course any new launch will have teething troubles, and on [H]ard forum they have reps there busy at work helping people and there is a constant stream of new BIOS updates.

And the amount of issues could also stem from ASUS selling way more boards than their competitors.

My gut feeling is that i will have less POTENTIAL issues with Giga or MSI however.

Advertisement