Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peashooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MortgageMan

As Below Average was not complaining could you move everything back to as it was ?

There is no other reason to move it, or is there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

As I said Sparks it was in a South Wicklow club, the winners were not actually allowed to claim the win !! the club members there on the day said that the other club shooters didn't qualify to shoot the comp and so couldn't win :eek: even though they had the highest scores.

There was even mention that the shooters should have taken off their shoes as they weren't designated foot wear for the comp ??? they were wearing runners and working boots, but this was only said after he scores were taken as was the, you don't qualify statement ?

I don't want to continue with this as I had tried to forget it.

As I said it turned me off the club and the discipline totally !

So you are right you will not find the names on the winning sheet as they were not allowed on to it ! hope that clarifies your question.

No, it doesn't. In fact, now you've made even less sense. There is absolutely no rule whatsoever in the ISSF or NTSA rulebooks that would allow that kind of thing. Ordinary street or work boots are explicitly allowed in the ISSF rules so long as they don't break the rules set up for custom-made boots (ie, doc martins laced up so that your leg from the knee down is immobilised are out, but runners or ordinary work boots would be fine - I shoot air pistol in ordinary shoes all the time). The only time I have *ever* seen a footwear question really come up was at an air pistol shoot when a newbie pistol shooter shot air pistol in his first (and only, as it turned out) match in air rifle boots -- which, to be fair, is unfair as they look like this:

1036.jpg

Now on the day, we said nothing as there wasn't much point - he was obviously coming in last anyway and why ruin his fun? But that's the only time I've heard of that happening, and if it was that long ago, I would have heard of it if it happened in an NTSA match because I was on the NTSA committee back then.

So I'm guessing you went to a club that was trying to run a club shoot to ISSF rules, but not an NTSA match, and they fluffed the rules very badly. I mean, if you're running a club shoot and have closed prizes for only the club members, that's got to be in the rules right up front, you can't drop that on people after they pay their entry fee and travel to the match and everything.

As Below Average was not complaining could you move everything back to as it was ?

There is no other reason to move it, or is there ?
    Rule #3 was the reason. Odds are, one of the other mods would have pointed it out this evening if IQ hadn't. Besides, this thread's now more prominent on the forum - are you complaining that more people are reading what you posted? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

With all due respect for the NTSA, and indeed other NGBs, but nobody owns air pistol or rifle, standard pistol, practical pistol or any other discipline.
    Any club can choose to run any event using official rules, or modified rules.
    A club can shoot whatever discipine it likes, provided it's safe and the range is authorised and designed for it.
    The NGB authority, if you could call it that, would only come into it when it is an official National championship, or international championship or a selection for an international competition.

It does not stop a club, say for example Hilltop, from challenging, for example, Harbour House, to a standard pistol match, modified to allow one to shoot one handed or two handed. Or WTSC from challenging ECSC to a benchrest rifle competition with ISSF 50 meter targets and target sights.

The possibilities are nearly endless. It would show a degree of unity in shooting. And we can still revert to or continue our Official rules competitions anyway. In fact it may get people interested in other disciplines, which they have never tried or even thought of trying.

There should be no obstacles to this really. If a shooter is competent with firearms, has insurance and his/ her licence, we should'nt worry about this affiliation stuff. A shooter should be able to try any discipline which takes their fancy and not worry about the type of footwear we have, and still be eligible for the prizes. The peashooting idea could be a starting point. You could open it up to .22 rifle as well as air rifle. It would still be a damn hard target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Sparks wrote: »
    I'd love to see some of the lads who think we're pea shooters actually try our sport...

...especially since all the other examples of that happening I can remember ended up with severely chastened chaps coming off the firing line in mild disbelief to find they'd been beaten to the bottom third of the field by 12-year-old girls :D

oooo sparks, touched a nerve did he :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Zeroed in on the 5m line. And post #3000 for me

pea_shooting_07.jpg

Kryten wrote: »
    With all due respect for the NTSA, and indeed other NGBs, but nobody owns air pistol or rifle, standard pistol, practical pistol or any other discipline.
    With respect to you Kryten, you're late.
    The NTSA has been saying that for years.

The reason I've mentioned the NTSA here is that the OP said "ISSF-sanctioned". That term only really applies to continental championships and above; all the other matches are NGB-sanctioned, so I assumed he just meant an NTSA match, because if the ISSF ran a World Cup in South Wicklow, I think we'd have noticed :D
    The NGB authority, if you could call it that, would only come into it when it is an official National championship, or international championship or a selection for an international competition.
    Yes, and also for doing things like maintaining national rankings, tallying scores and so forth.
    It does not stop a club, say for example Hilltop, from challenging, for example, Harbour House, to a standard pistol match, modified to allow one to shoot one handed or two handed. Or WTSC from challenging ECSC to a benchrest rifle competition with ISSF 50 meter targets and target sights.
    Nope, never has. That's why the NTSA's been pushing for clubs to do that for years, both on here and outside of here.

A shooter should be able to try any discipline which takes their fancy and not worry about the type of footwear we have, and still be eligible for the prizes.
    Well, yes - so long as they follow the same rules as the others in the match. Wouldn't be fair, for example, for everyone else to have a 1kg trigger on their pistol and one guy to have a 100g trigger. But that caveat aside, yes, it's very common for clubs to do that and always has been. The DURC turkey shoot isn't exactly ISSF-standard, for example, and they've shot sporting rifle for years without being part of the NASRPC or the NSAI. Likewise for pretty much every club I know.

But what MM is talking about above is something else entirely - he's talking about an official sanctioned match (which I have to presume is an NTSA match from what he's said so far) which was run so unfairly as to turn him off the discipline for years. At that point, if someone or some group is bringing the sport into disrepute, what should the NGB for that sport do? Straight question, no agenda, what do you think an NGB should do in that situation?

The peashooting idea could be a starting point. You could open it up to .22 rifle as well as air rifle. It would still be a damn hard target.
    I don't own it to open it up :D
    The whole idea was meant to see what'd happen if we tried claiming back the insult of "peashooter" and I thought it'd just be seen as funny - I wasn't expecting that within a single post, people would go from treating it as the best insult ever to actually wanting to be called a peashooter :D
    I'm now thinking airgun shooters ought to be all possessive of it. "Feck off and go get your own insult" and all that :D:D:D

Sparks I said an ISSF comp, maybe you could update me as how this became a World Championship comp all of a sudden !

Are you saying that all ISSF comps in Ireland are of World Championship certification ? Can a club run an ISSF comp without World authorisation ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

.........The whole idea was meant to see what'd happen if we tried claiming back the insult of "peashooter" and I thought it'd just be seen as funny...........

Insult :rolleyes:

Get over yourself! you're taking it all way too seriously :D

Sparks I said an ISSF comp, maybe you could update me as how this became a World Championship comp all of a sudden !
    From what you said above:
    It was a recognised ISSF comp.

ISSF don't recognise any matches below the continental championships level because ISSF-recognised has a specific meaning that involves ISSF people showing up from head office to at a minimum oversee things if not run them outright, and it has specific requirements for the ranges and so forth. So it seemed obvious you didn't mean ISSF recognised, but NTSA recognised.
    Can a club run an ISSF comp without World authorisation ?
    A club can run a match to ISSF rules without asking anyone. But it won't be an ISSF-recognised match. And they don't have to talk to the NTSA either, but it can't be a recognised match (ie no national rankings, etc - which doesn't matter if you just want a club match for fun).

So either you went to a match run by a club for fun which had nothing to do with the NTSA or ISSF which just said it was run by the ISSF rulebook; or you went to an NTSA match. Which was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

seriously Sparks grow a pair and get a proper rifle like a .308 :D pea shooting World Championship certification LOL

Insult :rolleyes:
    Get over yourself! you're taking it all way too seriously :D
    Says the guy who's just jealous he was only the second one to use the term :p

Spunk84 wrote: »
    seriously Sparks grow a pair and get a proper rifle like a .308 :D pea shooting World Championship certification LOL

But I already have a proper pistol!

DSC00743a.JPG

Sparks the comp was as ISSF comp, run under its rules whether or not is was a recognised World shoot I am not sure. As I said it was my first time to attend this type of comp and it was about 5 years ago.

It was not something I enjoyed as the way things were dictated to me and handled was very childish.

Your own actions here today were to try and belittle me and my knowledge of your sport, true I have no understanding of your type of shooting, it doesn't rock my boat or unshell my pea's :)

Is this site meant to be run on a democracy ? why do you feel the need to always try and prove yourself ? I mentioned before the self esteem issue, why stick up your score cards and why try to design new comps for Pea shooting ?

Am I missing something here ? is there something happening between the lines.

Says the guy who's just jealous he was only the second one to use the term :p

But now I've seen the light :o :P

Sparks is that the pistol that you used to similate an IPSA shoot and post it on your blog. It was mentioned at quite a few meetings how it belittled the IPSA sport do you remember that ?

Sparks is that the pistol that you used to similate an IPSA shoot and post it on your blog. It was mentioned at quite a few meetings how it belittled the IPSA sport do you remember that ?

:eek:

MM 1 0 Sparks

:D

Sparks the comp was as ISSF comp, run under its rules whether or not is was a recognised World shoot I am not sure. As I said it was my first time to attend this type of comp and it was about 5 years ago.

It was not something I enjoyed as the way things were dictated to me and handled was very childish.

Your own actions here today were to try and belittle me and my knowledge of your sport, true I have no understanding of your type of shooting, it doesn't rock my boat or unshell my pea's :)

Is this site meant to be run on a democracy ? why do you feel the need to always try and prove yourself ? I mentioned before the self esteem issue, why stick up your score cards and why try to design new comps for Pea shooting ?

Am I missing something here ? is there something happening between the lines.

LOL hes the mod who thinks he`s a "GOD" :eek:

Hes right and your wrong as this has now become my boards song:rolleyes:

So now he will close the thread because of your reaction and guess what?

For having your say HE WILL ISSUE YOU AN INFRACTION:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D did i get it right LOL

Yes, but you also said it put you off the discipline for ages. If you're going to say something like that, you ought to get the detail right as to whether this was an actual NTSA Open or just a few lads who misread the rulebook and acted the asshat on their own range.

Because if it was the latter, people thinking of trying it shouldn't pay much attention to your story, unpleasant as it was; and if it was the former, there'd be a record of it - hell, I might remember it myself if it was that far back because I might have been there at the time.
    So I shouldn't ask you for details when you publicly say my sport runs unfair competitions and won't let people who shoot a higher score win if they're not part of the old boy's club?

why do you feel the need to always try and prove yourself ?
    Prove?
    Don't you mean defend?
    And if you did mean defend, why do I always have to defend my sport in here, where we're all shooters together and nobody would ever dream of harming anyone else's sport for their own benefit?

That's the one there MM. It's the one that the head of the IPSA thought was quite funny last time I spoke to him.

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot you'd forgotten that I actually knew the IPSA people and helped them out as much as I was able to back then.

But here's the funny thing - if a big strapping IPSA shooter like yourself can't take a joke, why all the dishing out of jokes at other's expense? What's sauce for the goose...

• Advertisement

Spunk84 wrote: »
    Hes right and your wrong as this has now become my boards song:rolleyes:
    So now he will close the thread because of your reaction and guess what?
    For having your say HE WILL ISSUE YOU AN INFRACTION:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D did i get it right LOL

Nope, you didn't.
    Nice to see your level of intellect though.

Nope, you didn't.
    Nice to see your level of intellect though.

Seriously you didnt give him an infraction:eek::confused::confused::confused:

Well i`ll be, i thought the solicitors would of been called already for disagreeing with ya;) going soft there mod god:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

200739_187759921261236_100000816893491_374832_3684822_n.jpg

Im trying to think of something smartass to say but word fail me....
    mind you , the pea shooters would look well slurping on a can of this in their ''storm trooper'' get-up, on second thoughts it is a centrefire drink, there might be too much fizz for them..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

In Sparks defence - if you're gonna sling mud you should really have your facts straight. Ignorance is not a defence as these are the sorts of comments which will turn potential shooters away.

In fact it's already quite apparant that the shooter in question was turned off on account of their own, misinformed position (whether through their own fault or otherwise), that this behaviour was a reflection on the sport in general and not just an isolated display of bad form. (On the other hand, I don't honestly see the problem with a policy of only club members being allowed to officially compete in an internal club competition - however, disqualification on the grounds of footware etc... is unquestionably a load of b*lls).

As for everything else - can we not just all shoot sh*t and be happy??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I remember a group of total novices attending a comp in South Wicklow about 3 years ago. It was a recognised ISSF comp.

They turned up with none of the recognised expensive equipment an went on to win comp, the firearms used were bog standard rifles and pistols. These guys are still winning any comps that they enter whether it be the more challenging shooting comps or the easier handy lower calibre sport. smile.gif

Practice makes perfect an sometimes you don't need all the bells and whistles, just a bit of talent.
    Unfortunately I remember the match for all the wrong reasons, it was the first of that discipline I had attended and the behaviour at it sickened me to the core. frown.gif actually I looked back and the match was about 5 years ago, I am getting old and forgetful redface.gif

It turned me off the discipline for ever and opened my eyes to some of the characters who were and are still involved in this sport frown.gif hence I did not name the club or individuals, but they had a big hand in messing up the licencing for fullbore pistols mad.gif
    I'm replying to this in a personal capacity because (a) I wasn't a member of the NTSA committee five years ago, (b) I think the NTSA login has been lost or changed and (c) At least three clubs, two organisations and some individuals have been potentially slandered.

It's not clear from the above posts whether the OP is referring to a rifle or pistol competition nor is it clear as to whether it was a National or club competition.

In terms of pistol competitions, the first to be held under ISSF rules in this country was indeeed shot in a South Wicklow club just over five years ago. I was not present at this match and so cannot comment directly on the event or the particpants.

The 2005 match was a National championship and there are specific rules concerning these matches. National championships (and selection matches) are open to all to compete in, but prizes and selection for internationals are only available to paid up NTSA members who are eligible for Irish citizenship. AFAIK, this rule is also applied by other shooting (and in fact other sports) NGBs.

Another aspect of these matches is that insofar as is possible, all rules for the competition are strictly adhered to. I say insofar as possible because testing equipment or other match equipment may not be available to fully comply with or enforce the rules such as the availability of trigger weights, clothing stiffness gauges or timing equipment. Where there is such a lack, the shooter always gets the benefit.

Footwear was mentioned in a subsequent post and there is a rule (8.4.5.2) for pistol matches that only low-sided shoes that do not cover the ankle bone are permitted. In all matches it is the responsibility of the competitor to be aware of and comply with the rules of the competition. The ISSF rules are, and always have been available to download and read from the ISSF website. Breaches of the rules may be notified to the competitor before, during or after the match has taken place.

Clubs will also have specific rules for their own ranges such as the type of ammunition that can be used (for example Rathdrum does not allow the use of supersonic or copper jacketed ammunition) or the safety procedures when entering or leaving the range and/or firing point.

The specific match will also have specific rules. The 2005 match was the ISSF standard pistol competition which is only open to pistols of .22 calibre for which there are maximum barrel length and sight radius limitations as well as a minimum trigger weight of 1000gr. Anyone using a pistol outside these limitations would not have their scores recorded.

I have been involved in target shooting for almost twenty years and in that time have never seen anyone excluded from a match other than in strict accordance with the rules. On many occasions I have seen rules relaxed rather than exclude somebody on a technicality that they were clearly not aware of, but at the same time I would be loathe to award a prize to an individual who gained an advantage over a fellow competitor through such a breach. The rules exist to provide as level a playing field as possible to all competitors.

Finally, and assuming we are discussing a pistol match, I would have thought that in 2005 pretty much every one was a relative newbie to a sport that had barely a year to get established.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

This is turning into a bit of a slapping match.

I do think I remember the match in question and I think it is the one RRPC is referring to.

I was not there but spoke to some of those that were shortly afterwards and they were shocked at the way they were treated.

If memory serves every attempt was made to disqualify them once it was obvious they had done so well - but in fairness - I believe that once they overcame all of them their scores were allowed to stand.

They became members of NTSA, they had not been informed they needed to be until after they shot.

They offered to shoot in their bare feet - they had not been informed they needed to wear weird flat shoes until after they shot.
    (I believe some of them have a pair of carpet slippers, and possibly a smoking jacket and cravat in the boot since in case they do decide to shoot it again),

I think their triggers were indeed tested - unsure if that applied to everyone.

Overall they got the impression that they were seen as the turd in the fruitbowl and were not welcome - I know that many of them have never shot the discipline competitively again - even though they did quite well at it.

As far as I know they have all shot - and won - in that club again.

Personally I think a cross discipline target shooting team match is called for.
    Three legs - three venues - three different disciplines - all smallbore pistols, 22lr subs.

As many teams as want to take part - all shot in slippers or thigh high leather boots - up to the competitor.

Pints and slagging in the pub (Winners choice) afterwards.

Sort the ladies from the ladyboys once and for all.

Anyone game?

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    This is turning into a bit of a slapping match.
    No, this started as someone slinging mud and being called on it.
    And you seem to be trying to continue that. You don't know what match MM is talking about but you *think* it's one that RRPC is talking about that you weren't at either. You spoke to people who you say shot in this mystery match at this mystery location and you say that if your memory is accurate they were victimised in a way that I have never, ever, in just under twenty years ever seen in an NTSA match, even while in the middle of serious rows with them.
    And none of the things you specifically mention make any sense whatsoever:
    They offered to shoot in their bare feet - they had not been informed they needed to wear weird flat shoes until after they shot.
    You don't need wierd flat shoes to shoot ISSF pistol. I've already said above, I shoot ISSF pistol all the time without them. In fact, most poeple shoot ISSF pistol without them, and the really odd-looking ISSF rifle boots aren't legal for ISSF pistol anyway. The rule is that the shoe can't immobilise your ankle to give unfair advantage, nothing more. Bare feet is also perfectly acceptable - I shot rifle in bare feet for over a year at one point.
    I think their triggers were indeed tested - unsure if that applied to everyone.
    That does apply to everyone, both before and after a match, and it's the most important equipment control rule, because if everyone on the line has to pull a 500g trigger and you're pulling a 50g trigger, you have a massively unfair advantage. I don't know your sport's rules as well as I know my own B'man, but if there isn't a minimum trigger weight in there, I'd be surprised.
    Sort the ladies from the ladyboys once and for all.
    /facepalm
    You've had an open invite to NTSA matches for years now B'man, we've never seen you shoot. So do we sling mud at you now, or wait till later?

Sparks what is with the allegations of mudslinging ?????

I made a comment on a totally different thread about types of firearms, you have moved and broken up the thread so that it now might read as mudslinging. I can do nothing about that as I have asked you already to return the entire thread to where it began, but you refused ! I amended the new start of thread this morning to advise readers as to this, just in case the thread was labelled in error. You called it Pea Shooting.

If I was looking to read between lines or trying to think up conspiracy theories I would almost think that the thread was changed so that someone could label someone else as a mudslinger to try an end the debate that had begun ??

Sparks what is with the allegations of mudslinging ?????
    They're not allegations. You've said some pretty damaging things about an entire discipline based on one match you said was bad, but we still don't know what match it was, or even if it was a rifle or a pistol match.
    That's mudslinging.

I made a comment on a totally different thread about types of firearms, you have moved and broken up the thread so that it now might read as mudslinging.
    That's not what happened. Seriously MM, you do realise we can all read this thread, including the bit at the top where we discussed this, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

clivej wrote: »
    Zeroed in on the 5m line. And post #3000 for me

pea_shooting_07.jpg

Wait...what?

Actual question: This is a thing?

Also, everyone needs to stop bickering like children. The sun is shining and there's no clouds about. Shouldn't you all be out shooting? I've got my gear in the boot of the car. 2.5 hours and I'm outta work to go show some love to the local bunny population :D

Advertisement