Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue dogs, for "sale"?

• 14-03-2011 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Hope this is in the right place? A friend of mine just posted a link on his fb profile to the well known sales/adverts site that puppies are sold on (and are often dodgy), and it has photos of scruffy looking dogs, listed as rescue dogs, for sale, the price is not specified but it says "For Sale".

Is this normal/ok etc? I didn't think selling them was the norm, I thought they were just rehomed for free, or am I totally naive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Sometimes people just say "for sale" but they're free or not really for sale, but for rehoming, maybe they're just with a rehoming fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

We got a "free" dog from the local ispca, after neutering, microchipping and a course of medicine for mange.. our pride & joy ended up costing us about 150 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Is the location Laois?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Casey_81 wrote: »
    We got a "free" dog from the local ispca, after neutering, microchipping and a course of medicine for mange.. our pride & joy ended up costing us about 150 euro.

which is very good value for that if you ask me. did you expect the charity to pay for the vet bills instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Glowing wrote: »
    which is very good value for that if you ask me. did you expect the charity to pay for the vet bills instead?

+1 I agree with this. Rescues cost a fortune to keep them running and the small donation they charge towards a dog doesnt come anywhere near what it costs to neuter, vaccinate, feed etc, these dogs before they are rehomed.

• Advertisement

If I understand Caseys post correctly then they had to do all this themselves AFTER they got the dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

EGAR wrote: »
    Is the location Laois?

That was the first thing to pop into my head too. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

No not Laois, can I ask why Laois?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ponder013

I have no problem with making a donation to a shelter either. I think my boy cost me a donation of €150 to Limerick Animal Welfare, which is an excellent organisation.

I've also seen those rescues 'for sale' on a well known site and wondered about them - bottom line, if in doubt, don't touch any animal from that website.

Spadina wrote: »
    No not Laois, can I ask why Laois?

A user on here (now banned) masqueraded as rescue (and still does). That woman is still active on FB and several other sites and advertises her *rescues* for sale on the like of GT and DD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I think most shelters would require a donation to cover these necessary costs which is only fair...it's not like they're making a profit FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

CSPCA (Cork) charge 100 euro to re-home a dog that is not vaccinated, neutered or microchipped - I wonder are they making a profit somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

poconnor16 wrote: »
    CSPCA (Cork) charge 100 euro to re-home a dog that is not vaccinated, neutered or microchipped - I wonder are they making a profit somewhere?

That is ridiculous..how can they justify that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I have no problem donating to a shelter in return for the literal months of food, accomodation, walking, and emotional and medical support they give abused and neglected animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

TillyGirl wrote: »
    That is ridiculous..how can they justify that?

I had a whole thread started on CSPCA and the 'questions' about how they operate so dont want to hijack this one...
    When questioned the response was 'it pays for utilities and staff wages'. Go figure.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

I have no qualms at all about giving money to the SPCA for our dog, he is a great addition to our family.. and the rescue centers do great work.

To clarify my earlier post, we had to pay those bills before we brought the dog home from the center. I wasn't complaining about paying the money, but the fact that a cash transaction occurred could be likened to buying the rescue dog

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

EGAR wrote: »
    A user on here (now banned) masqueraded as rescue (and still does). That woman is still active on FB and several other sites and advertises her *rescues* for sale on the like of GT and DD.

Hence the reason its in the charter.There were a few people ripped off by this user.

It went something like this.

User was rescuing dogs from various rehoming agencies and taking dogs from the rehoming threads here probably for free..advertising them back here in the rehoming thread and on gumtree and donedeal and when people were collecting they were being asked for vets fees for vaccs,rehoming fees,transport fees among others.
    They were told teh vaccination certs would be posted out but they never were.

In some cases the dogs were never vaccinated and no papers were ever given.

User is banned for life from boards which is why we have the rule that all rehomes are free and any user asked for any money at all should report it to the mods or admins.

Advertisement