Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Laois Press

Options
  • 14-03-2011 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

So, we're launching a new Laois newspaper, and as a regular visitor to this page thought I'd post something up here.

Few of us that used to work in the Laois Voice and as contributors to the Nationalist and Express have decided to launch a different type of paper. I'd love to get some ideas or feedback here (except the negative don't bother type)

Set up an e-mail address laoispress@gmail.com so if anyone would like to have anything included in the paper just fire it on to that. Anyone interested in advertising we're doing really cheap ads as a way of supporting struggling businesses in thie recession.

Or if anyone fancies writing somethiing up, either as a letter to the editor or an article on something you feel should get newspaper coverage please feel free to contact us.

We're also on Facebook on http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000393970288&ref=ts so we can be contacted there too or ring 0879835678

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Do an article on places to walk your dogs in Laois. Hint hire adser for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

I really think walking in Laois should be highlighted. Some great places to go. Okay admittedly (sp) it's one of the main things Laois has going for it but an article about it would be good. I suppose more articles about things to do in Laois in general. Anything to get people out doing stuff and lift the doom and gloom.

Weekly article about new businesses in the county or existing businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

How bout an article (followed by a petition) for a proper dog park in Portlaoise?
    And more coverage on whatever local bands are left.

PS; Hi Dara u entrepreneurial mofo! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Oh club profiles and that kinda thing will be a big part, we're gonna have our focus firmly fixed on the positive stuff and efforts that are going on around the county, as opposed to 5-6 pages of court pages or other negative features you see elsewhere.

And cheers Derek, amazing what close on 5 months unemployed without dole will do for the entrepreneurial spirit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Bicky wrote: »
    Do an article on places to walk your dogs in Laois. Hint hire adser for that one.
    Ha cheers for the endorsement but I think my article writing skills leave a lot to be desired :D
    On a serious note, I think its great idea and I'd love to see a more positive and pro-laois type paper than the others that have next to nothing in them except death notices, embarrassing courtroom stories and headlines about dole queues.
    I'd love to see more on the events and activities on in Laois as they get no media attention. Local clubs and businesses being promoted and perhaps every edition have something akin to "event of the week".
    There's also a user in here "bodhan" that's started up a very good impartial car review site "thenextgear.com" that's getting a lot of attention. As he's a local, I think he would be a good port of call for a weekly motoring section too on cars that we can actually afford rather than fancy shmancy ones :)

I'm looking forward to reading it, please keep us updated on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

adser53 wrote: »
    embarrassing courtroom stories

But that was the best part of the Leinster! :D

Fair play tho Dara, hope it works out. Ill be expecting nice reviews when I manage to get a band together ;)

I've been in touch with the next gear, deadly site and would be a great addition to what we're doing.

Was in Mountmellick and the amount of positive stories that are really interesting just leap out at you. Some great clubs out there doing an awful lot of good. That's what the paper will be about!

Looking like our first issue should be April 6, so if anyone would like to see something covered, don't be shy, either ring or e-mail me, message me here or find us on facebook under laois press

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I've been in touch with the next gear, deadly site and would be a great addition to what we're doing.

Was in Mountmellick and the amount of positive stories that are really interesting just leap out at you. Some great clubs out there doing an awful lot of good. That's what the paper will be about!

Looking like our first issue should be April 6, so if anyone would like to see something covered, don't be shy, either ring or e-mail me, message me here or find us on facebook under laois press
    Great stuff Dara, looking forward to it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

What about court pages. I love that bit in the Leinster. :) speaking of court pages, Paddy Cullen was in town tonight. Still as mad as ever :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

I'm looking forward to it too, anyone have an interesting motoring story for Laois let me know it might end up in the paper!

Good man Paddy haha, just don't play him at chess, he'll kick your ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 renthead

maybe a section about the arts in the county....the real arts that is and not county hall 9-5.

There are so many groups and individuals producing so much creative work that deserve mentions and profiling they may not otherwise get.

Best of luck with the launch

Renthead, I used to be the Laois Voice arts writer, unfortunately at the time my hands were tied with what I could report, trust me, the arts section is gonna be a lot better in this paper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

need an international correspondant?

You're New Zealand dude, what if I need an article about keyboard players from Brazil or Utah??

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

Great idea! perhaps actively encouraging businesses to advertise any vacancies they have for a relatively cheap rate might be a good idea as most job vacancies in laois go un-advertised and there are a lot of people unemployed in the area.

All our advertising is going to be cheap, be it advertising jobs our their services - but we will be doing cheaper ads in a recruitment section!

Keep the ideas coming

Of course, we've put together a nice breadth of sports in Laois, and if there is anything like that coming up don't be shy about letting me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Great idea, I was reading the Leinster Express the other day and every page was literally about the courthouse. It would be great if you included soccer, there's no mention of it in the local papers.

We will indeed, have a load of CCFL stuff sorted and an interview with a Laois soccer international

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

Just wondering where it will be on sale in Portarlington?

Will indeed Minxie, have a lot of the shops sorted already

Obaraten - of course! You gotta give me an angle or something in particular to write about though, like a group or organisation etc

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Has this paper gone on sale yet?

No, not yet, still working on the set up, but posted this up to get ideas as we're working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Bubblegums

Veles wrote: »
    Maybe have a section where ye go around and ask ordinary people about various local issues?

They tend to do that in the Nationalist already :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 manhimself

Any sign of this publication yet?

Seems to have gone quiet on it here. Hopefully it hasn't been died a death before it even started. Having said that I'd be sceptical enough of a new paper in this climate. Nationalist and Leinster have been around for years and it's very hard to break into the market. The Voice was a disaster of a setup and I was surprised it lasted as long as it did

Advertisement