Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Laois Press

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I hear it's launching shortly as a free paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

It's launching on October as a free newspaper - ads are currently being sold for the next four weeks before launch! If anyone has any questions or suggestions as regards content/advertising - e-mail darabyrne44@gmail.com

Long time ago since I started this thread back in March - but the paper is out today - it's in pretty much every shop, petrol station, pub, cafe, hotel, etc in Portlaoise, Mountrath, Stradbally and Mounmellick

Will be distributing in Portarlington, Abbeyleix, Durrow Rathdowney tomorrow

Hope every gives it a read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 HanyuPinyin

Can I read it online since I don't buy newspapers?

It's a free newspaper - nobody has to buy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Uncorruptable

Long time ago since I started this thread back in March - but the paper is out today - it's in pretty much every shop, petrol station, pub, cafe, hotel, etc in Portlaoise, Mountrath, Stradbally and Mounmellick

Will be distributing in Portarlington, Abbeyleix, Durrow Rathdowney tomorrow

Hope every gives it a read

I'll pick one up today, cheers.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Can I read it online since I don't buy newspapers?

its FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ya sack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

You should stick a copy of it online for those of us that have gone wandering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Bicky wrote: »
    Do an article on places to walk your dogs in Laois. Hint hire adser for that one.

LOL. The Nationalist and the Leinster have sure had plenty of articles (mostly of the tut-tutting kind) about dogging in Laois.

Here's a list of sites, but it's rather inaccurate, because two of the 14 sites mentioned are actually in Offaly.

http://www.swing4ireland.com/laois-dogging-locations.html

If the new paper wants a volunteer to do some in-depth research (in return for expenses only) for an article on this form of recreation, I'm yer man!

haha - those dogging articles were actually 4 years out of date too! And to be honest I've no interest in **** like that - there are only so many pages in each issue and I'd rather fill the paper with positive news stories than that!

• Advertisement

and Paul - I'll jpeg the paper shortly and post it up on the FB page

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

hey OP,

any chance you could stick an ad in for this cat i found so we can reunite her with her family...nice feelgood story for the paper

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056429660

our next two issues aren't out until Nov 10 & 24 - so remind me closer to the date??

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Uncorruptable

Hi Dara,

Just wondering, will the paper be available in all shops today? Or will it be as first issue, covering one half of the county first & then second half?

Looking to pick one up in rathdowney this evening if its going to be in shops there?

Rathdowney tomorrow unfortunately - did Portlaoise, Mountrath, Portarlington, Mountmellick, The Heath, Castletown, Emo and Ballybrittas! Everywhere else tomorrow

Over 5000 issues gone out today though, so we're getting quicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Just picked up the Laois Press today for the first time.
    I have to say that the overall paper is presented very well-although two staples in the paper would be great to keep it together.

One thing that I noticed while skimming through was that the grammar was atrocious in places.
    In particular the Egan's X-factor update and Land Cruiser articles and as of yet I have only skimmed through 4 or 5 articles.

Ask the editor to maybe review all articles before going to print. Because he certainly didn't on this edition!

Good Luck with the venture though and I will continue to pick it up in my local Supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

JackieChan wrote: »
    Just picked up the Laois Press today for the first time.
    I have to say that the overall paper is presented very well-although two staples in the paper would be great to keep it together.

One thing that I noticed while skimming through was that the grammar was atrocious in places.
    In particular the Egan's X-factor update and Land Cruiser articles and as of yet I have only skimmed through 4 or 5 articles.

Ask the editor to maybe review all articles before going to print. Because he certainly didn't on this edition!

Good Luck with the venture though and I will continue to pick it up in my local Supervalu.

I think you are being a bit harsh with 'atrocious' there are a couple of spelling errors in the articles you pointed out but the grammar is modern and friendly, maybe your more a fan of the strict grammar type but I prefer the local writing.

Thanks for the constructive criticism JackieChan, as the editor I've written most of the articles except for motoring and GAA. But Bob Flavin, our motoring writer, is a professional motoring critic, and I've really enjoyed both his articles in the first two issues so far!

The Egan's X-Factor article was more of a list of who's made it through and how to get in before the competition gets really serious, so don't see how the grammar would be atrocious??

At the moment I'm working on being able to make the paper bigger in terms of pages and presentation, but I'll do my best to keep errors to a minimum

Just re-read Egan's x-factor - yes, the word 'is' should have been used instead of 'are'!

........and very harsh on the land cruiser article - you are criticising apostrophe s! I've seen the well established Leinster express with 10 times our staff have the word caption under photos and plent of spelling and grammar mistakes - it happens when working to deadline!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Evolution,
    Yes I shouldn't have grouped the motoring article with the Egan's article.
    The review was interesting but after reading the Egan's article I started looking out for errors....anal I know!
    My copy was placed in the recycling bin but I will pick it up another copy during the week and have a better read of it.
    Cheers
    JC

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

One observation, if I may.
    Missed the first edition but the second edition's sports pages are exclusively GAA.
    Now I'm actually a big GAA fan myself but surely local athletics, soccer and rugby deserve some bit of coverage?
    Best wishes for continued success with the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Congratulations on your first two editions.
    I am delighted that your sole focus is on good news stories only.
    I agree people don’t want to read about negative stories, or about who’s been in court for tax dodging or about swindling politicians or corrupt bankers. Or indeed about what cuts are coming in next month’s budget.
    I suppose you won’t be bothering reporting accidents or tragedies around the county. Or even thefts robberies, rapes or attacks on people’s homes.
    I suppose just like me, people don’t care about what’s going on around them. After all there’s no need to upset the status quo by highlighting people’s every day’s concerns, such as closing hospitals, reducing social welfare payments, increasing hospital waiting lists, cutting peoples wages or closures of businesses. I suppose people’s lives really don’t matter anyway. I suppose the I’m alright Jack attitude is the right way to go and I wish you and your paper’s approach well into the future.
    Well done, keep publishing the good news. Sure the bad news and how it affects your readers can take care of itself.

Wow!!! There is arrogance all about us but this takes the biscuit!!
    Congratulations, Leinster Express in posting for the first time on Boards.ie
    Unfortunately, it was all too predictable that it would be a negative post to a venture that we can only assume is in some sort of competition with you.
    Your publication has had a more or less monopoly on the news in the Laois area since I can remember and has its place in most households shopping but this Laois Press has a different approach. It is a budding enterprise started by a guy that was previously unemployed and didn't wish to sit on his arse all day and decided that he was going to do something positive for himself and his area. A very simple idea and trying to concentrate on the positive as opposed to the negative all the time. A voice for the optimist instead of the pessimist. You slotted in perfectly with your pessimistic outlook and your predictable post.
    As the major publication in the area one might have thought that it would be more in your line to have an article in your publication about this new enterprise and the people behind it. An article that applauded the idea instead of coming on here and dousing it! Surely, within your bulk of pages you could find a quarter page to report this news. No... Too taken up with some poor soul that is down on his luck that has been found pissing on the side of the road,taken to court and fined a few euros... Quality news stories..

M

Hesh's Umpire - with our limited space as we build ourselves up, yes, we had nothing but GAA in issue 2 - but that is not our goal into the future, I wrote sports pages for years between the Laois Voice, Nationalist and Leinster and it was never GAA so of course we want to develop a more comprehensive blend in our sports pages!

Leinster Express - there is no way that post came from the Leinster! But thanks to whoever registered a profile under their name to post dribble like that!

Fact is our front page this issue is on a hospital closure, so we're not avoiding bad news - but once again here somebody has missed the point of what we're doing.

I see no need for duplication across titles. Why would anyone want to read three papers all reporting on the exact same thing. The Express and Nationalist offer comprehensive coverage from the courts - so there is no need for me to do so. To imply I don't care about rape, robberies and other serious crimes is just insulting and wrong.

I want the Laois Press to compliment the other news media in the county - the Express, the Nationalist, The Laois People and Midlands 103, and the best way of doing that is by not trying to do what the others do well.

Will I be accused of not caring about our deceased because I don't have 2-3 pages of obituaries? I hope not.......

The fact is the launch of the Laois Press should not effect the other papers, they are weekly, we are fortnightly, they cover stories we don't, and vice versa! Or we place more emphasis on some stories than they do - I don't see how this is an issue as we see this type or attitude every day if you pick up an Independent and a Star!

So whoever posted under the name Leinster Express, be very careful - the real deal may not like seeing their name being used to post such a stupid and insulting post

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

photos and plent of spelling and grammar mistakes - it happens when working to deadline!

Plenty. :) sorry, couldnt resist the irony.

The Leinster is like a trust fund kid, coasting along without any effort. Sure people buy it to see who is in the court pages, but they never go that bit extra to report on any real news. At least the Nationalsist makes an effort.
    In any case you are not competing with them(just yet) Dara so you are right to do your own thing and good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Where did Leinster express post? Was it deleted?
    Clearly not a representative of the paper anyway. Who exactly would be such a fool? Maybe that idiot talking about eating dogs in the other thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Of course - I had a load of pictures and an article from a kick boxing club sent to me so going into this weeks issue! Great to see more people taking advantage of the paper that way, Shane Lewis has contributed another artist profile, Sean Murray in issue 2 on the church in Killeshin etc - makes for a better paper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

If that person posts again they should be banned, you must go through a verification process with Boards.ie if you want to represent a company.

Last time I was home it occoured to me just how bad the Leinster was. There was only a few hundred lines of actual news and none of it was interesting or beneficial. It hasnt changed in years from what I can see and surely must be dying a death. Its more of a directory of business services, court dates, deaths marragies etc rather then a newspaper with any interesting news, op-ed or content.

Dara would still love a pdf or jpeg copy of your paper if possible :)

• Advertisement

Hey Paul - e-mail me

Advertisement