Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Laois Press

Options
13»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

never a good idea to post email addresses on a public forum.
    spambots route through forums to find mail addresses to spam...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hi Guys,

I sent you an email at around 1.45pm on Sunday, did yea get it? I have not received a reply and was hoping that you did get that email.

Danno.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Uncorruptable

Hi Dara,

Just wondering if you can give me the dates planned for your next publications?

I think you had said the 24th yes?

when is the next one after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hotfeet

Hi Dara, Just looked in to see what the Leinster Express post was about, since t was hinted that i might have been the author,, I rarely buy the LE anymore, I prefer the Nationalist and of course Laois Press, The Leinster is mostly a rehash of the Nationalist's content scattered amongst the Ad's. I prefer Joe Barret's editorial style and the journalistic element is a bit more gung ho. the content of the LE is fairly predictable and boring, and leads me to the conclusion that they take themselves for granted,and assume that they have a captive readership. To Assume is to make an ASS of U and ME.
    I PRESUME they dont really care. Even the Leinster Leader requested feedback from it readership on how they could improve the enjoyment of thei readers, and whats more they acted on the feedback,its bad enough that the Government treat us like fools.
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Sorry about that Mick, like I said, just a coincidental turn of phrase is all! My apologies

Next issue is out tomorrow, then Dec 8, and Dec 22...........

• Advertisement

Danno - didn't get that e-mail, but then I've a few - I'll check them all later, been a busy week

Just to let everyone know - the Press is back tomorrow....keep an eye out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Just to let everyone know - the Press is back tomorrow....keep an eye out

great, fresh toilet paper............:D

Dreadful publication it has to be said.

Well thanks for the nice comment there - can always be sure to find a troll on boards! Will chalk it down to you not being christened MidlandsM and can say whatever you like behind that moniker!

For the most part our feedback has been overwhelmingly positive and after getting a paper out on the first Thursday of this month, we will have another out this Thursday - two week later - if anyone here has any stories or notices they'd like included please pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Naysayers be damned, good local paper with informative and interesting articles. Especially nice for those of us into the local music scene and animal welfare issues. And its free for flying spaghetti monster sake!

• Advertisement

Well thanks for the nice comment there - can always be sure to find a troll on boards! Will chalk it down to you not being christened MidlandsM and can say whatever you like behind that moniker!

For the most part our feedback has been overwhelmingly positive and after getting a paper out on the first Thursday of this month, we will have another out this Thursday - two week later - if anyone here has any stories or notices they'd like included please fire em on to darabyrne44@gmail.com

ahhhhhhhh, It's too easy to brush me off or try and brand me as a Troll (which i'm not but nice try...lol ....), but if you stand back and look at your publication, you got to wish it was better, and if you don't have a desire to make it better,well you need to have some serious interspection of your soul and journalistic standards. It's a mess....a flimsy, soulless, empty, padded up wishy washy rag that has all the qualities of a really bad Transition Year attempt at a local newspaper. Get your act together......and deliver a decent local paper, on time every week and you can then call me what you want!
    **Vai** wrote: »
    Naysayers be damned, good local paper with informative and interesting articles. Especially nice for those of us into the local music scene and animal welfare issues. And its free for flying spaghetti monster sake!

Well, I'll be damned then...like i give a toss :rolleyes:

Of course I want it to be better, I'll always want it to get better with each issue! But it is still a new business getting up and running and to dismiss it as toilet paper when so much of our other feedback has been so positive does seem troll like

In our last issue we introduced a new cinema page, we are covering more sports in those pages, we had far more articles in the news section, our feature on pet welfare created a lot of discussion, I see improvements in every issue. If there is something we're not covering that you'd like to see or feel would improve the paper by all means, that's the feedback I'd encourage and welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

MidlandsM wrote: »
    ahhhhhhhh, It's too easy to brush me off or try and brand me as a Troll (which i'm not but nice try...lol ....), but if you stand back and look at your publication, you got to wish it was better, and if you don't have a desire to make it better,well you need to have some serious interspection of your soul and journalistic standards. It's a mess....a flimsy, soulless, empty, padded up wishy washy rag that has all the qualities of a really bad Transition Year attempt at a local newspaper. Get your act together......and deliver a decent local paper, on time every week and you can then call me what you want!

Well, I'll be damned then...like i give a toss :rolleyes:

You seem like someone who has accomplished so much in life so Ill bow to your obviously better judgement..

**Vai** wrote: »
    You seem like someone who has accomplished so much in life so Ill bow to your obviously better judgement..

....you'd be suprised...:)
    I have no beef with you, only have an opinion on this "missed opportunity" of a local paper.

Alright dude, cheers for the feedback - which pretty much amounts to none as you haven't offered a single suggestion as to what we could add to it to make it better. Hopefully over the course of the next few issues your opinion will change

Alright dude, cheers for the feedback - which pretty much amounts to none as you haven't offered a single suggestion as to what we could add to it to make it better. Hopefully over the course of the next few issues your opinion will change

Its not my job to improve your paper, its your own. If you can't see the problems with it, well then you are in the wrong game.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

Its not my job to improve your paper, its your own. If you can't see the problems with it, well then you are in the wrong game.

is another way of saying
    "Your wrong but i m not gonna tell you why your wrong but i m gonna tell you, your wrong anyway"

very constructive ha!

Keep up the good work Dara its a good free paper

robbie02 wrote: »
    is another way of saying
    "Your wrong but i m not gonna tell you why your wrong but i m gonna tell you, your wrong anyway"

...thanks for the lame attempt at tryin' to put words in my mouth. Shilltastic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

MidlandsM,
    This forum has plenty of trolls and the country as a whole has plenty of knockers but this drivel out of you takes the biscuit. I am trying to remain calm and objective with yer posts as you have an opinion and you are welcome to share it but this recent stuff is too far.
    Ok, we get it. You are a New York Times reader as opposed to the Roscommon Herald but the guy is trying! Trying to make something out of himself. Trying to add to society. Trying to NOT be a burden on the state. Trying to further himself in the present quagmire of dread. If he is making mistakes (and I am sure that he knows and is trying to rectify and improve things!) then that is part of the learning curve. Gates, Jobs and other entrepreneurs all looked back on their initial offerings and were aghast! Its an evolution of things man!
    To knock it is one thing. To not offer any views how to improve it and better the product is another.

M

[Edit]
    Removed personal abuse.
    [/Edit]

• Advertisement

well wow - just wow..........lol......

reported for personal abuse - as thats the best you can offer........just wow.......

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Oh Christ. Why would we let ourselves get so worked up about such an obvious troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

2 infractions, 3 posts deleted. Please keep the discussion civil or I'll be forced to lock the thread. Regrettably, an action that is recurring more and more frequently.

An opinion is an opinion, it doesn't have to be agreed with, or supported or even validated. If you disagree with it you can debate it or ignore it - but don't for a second think you can abuse the person who supplied it. This is the nature of civil discourse.

Bicky wrote: »
    Oh Christ. Why would we let ourselves get so worked up about such an obvious troll.
    true i m just gonna ignore that dude. i just hate trolls. I

prefer to contribute positivity to this and any other thread.
    just a suggestion how about doing a piece about laois table tennis fixtures, its a great sport that doesnt get much publicity and i know there are some fantastic players in the county

There's actually a fantastic table tennis club right on my own doorstep here in Mountrath - definitely something I can look into - even outdoor table tennis in Mountrath park now!

I've attempted a golf article in this one - not just the scores, but a hole by hole match up between first and second at a tournament over the weekend....I'll see the response we get there too.

There's actually a fantastic table tennis club right on my own doorstep here in Mountrath - definitely something I can look into - even outdoor table tennis in Mountrath park now!

I've attempted a golf article in this one - not just the scores, but a hole by hole match up between first and second at a tournament over the weekend....I'll see the response we get there too.

cool just an idea might not be viable but there is a club in most towns and different leagues and some class players, if your interested i can get a number for you who runs the portlaoise club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

robbie02 wrote: »
    true i m just gonna ignore that dude. i just hate trolls. I

prefer to contribute positivity to this and any other thread.
    just a suggestion how about doing a piece about laois table tennis fixtures, its a great sport that doesnt get much publicity and i know there are some fantastic players in the county

Its not alone.............i bet Bicky could name another sport with a european champion from the county that doesn't get a mention.

Really? What's that??

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Triathlon Dara.
    In fairness Mark you would have to admit Try Laois had a lot of coverage in all the papers. That said there is definitely a lack of weekly coverage\results, but then again it is a relatively new sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Bicky wrote: »
    Triathlon Dara.
    In fairness Mark you would have to admit Try Laois had a lot of coverage in all the papers. That said there is definitely a lack of weekly coverage\results, but then again it is a relatively new sport.

Oh no, my name is public:D

I do agree our local race gets some press !

Advertisement