Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house alarm

Options
  • 14-03-2011 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

hi we're looking at getting a house alarm if the budget stretches.would anyone have a ball park figure what the cost installed would be for a run of the mill alarm.. we need 30 window sensors and whatever indoor sensor things(some to be pet proof)
    i know i'll get the go and get a qoute line but since the recession any qoutes we've got for stuff has seen the tradesmen constantly ringing(cant blame them)looking for the job so dont want to pee anyone off if it would be way out of our budget at the mo

many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

30 Sensors , is a lot . Are you sure you need all that?
    Also is the house wired or are you going from scratch?
    If its not wired & you are looking at wireless I would look at whether you can reduce the number of sensors. Are all these ground floor or accessible windows?
    You really would be better getting some companies out to do a decent survey & advise you on whats best.
    Have a look at the sticky for some suppliers or installers.
    Also here is the PSA register of all licenced installers. You can search this for installers in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

koolkid.thanks for the reply,yeah its 30 sensors as thats how many opening widows there are,we have large floor to ceiling windows in a lot of the house so some have multiple parts that open
    they're all ground floor and the house is prewired as was only built two years ago
    looks like i may call out a company for a look
    thanks again

great sticky by the way

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

koolkid.thanks for the reply,yeah its 30 sensors as thats how many opening widows there are,we have large floor to ceiling windows in a lot of the house so some have multiple parts that open
    they're all ground floor and the house is prewired as was only built two years ago
    looks like i may call out a company for a look
    thanks again

That would be the best way to go.
    You may be able to combine wired & wireless into an affordable system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

hi we're looking at getting a house alarm if the budget stretches.would anyone have a ball park figure what the cost installed would be for a run of the mill alarm.. we need 30 window sensors and whatever indoor sensor things(some to be pet proof)
    i know i'll get the go and get a qoute line but since the recession any qoutes we've got for stuff has seen the tradesmen constantly ringing(cant blame them)looking for the job so dont want to pee anyone off if it would be way out of our budget at the mo

many thanks

For that many have a look at the HKC SECUREWAVE, you can add that amount and more on to the system without the need for an expander. Where possible sensors can be wired off the wire free device to save the need for extra wire free sensors.

• Advertisement

thanks altor,is that a complete wirefree system?would i just need to push up the sensor wires behing the plasterboard if it is? what kinda money would i be looking at for that system
    thanks mate

thanks altor,is that a complete wirefree system?would i just need to push up the sensor wires behing the plasterboard if it is? what kinda money would i be looking at for that system
    thanks mate

It is a hybrid system, meaning you can have wired plus wire free. It has 10 hardwire zones. Price would depend on what needs to be fitted.

yeah sounds good..everything needs to be fitted as there is nothing done bar the pre wiring,i also just had a look and cant seem to find any PIR cables in the rooms so they would definatley need to be wireless.you could pm me a qoute if you like.im guessing your a fitter by the good advice given by yourself in other threads

yeah sounds good..everything needs to be fitted as there is nothing done bar the pre wiring,i also just had a look and cant seem to find any PIR cables in the rooms so they would definatley need to be wireless.you could pm me a qoute if you like.im guessing your a fitter by the good advice given by yourself in other threads

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi just bumping an old thread here,

I was wondering if I could get a rough guide price on installing a 40 sensor alarm with front and rear keypads, one on the box maybe? Stand alone alarm system with the ability to add on SMS functionality at a later date.

I need 40 sensors as 10 of the windows are PVC Sash with two openings unfortunately.

The house is a new storey and a half in Cork pre wired for a burglar alarm.

Nice one,
    Gary

• Advertisement

Hi Gary,

Expect to pay between 130 and 150 Euro for a extra keypad. You will get one with any system you get installed. Most of the systems on the market can have a GSM add on for remote access plus monitoring of the alarm system. When you say 40 sensors, do you mean 40 openings ? Expect to pay 25-35 Euro for shocks plus 10-15 Euro to cover any openings on the windows.

Thanks for that, sent you a mail there.

40 openings in the windows, one of the guys that did a survey reckoned shocks wouldn't be great as the main road is close by.

Maybe one motion sensor by the front door?

Are you saying a company told you not to use inertia sensors because your on or close to a main road? ?
    I would always recommend a combination of sensors and contacts on all accessible windows, backed up by at least 2 PiRs in your instance.

Yup, that the vibrations on the sash windows would set off the alarms? To be honest I'm not sure if I can afford both starting off.

Is it a system you can build up over time??

So how much is a "HKC Securewave" system and how many sensors do I get with the basic system?

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Yup, that the vibrations on the sash windows would set off the alarms? To be honest I'm not sure if I can afford both starting off.

Is it a system you can build up over time??

So how much is a "HKC Securewave" system and how many sensors do I get with the basic system?

I would get a few more company's in to quote you if that is the advice you where given. A shock sensor is a must on any window that has easy access to an intruder. With just a contact on the window an intruder could smash, cut or take out the glass without opening the window. If this happens and he does not open the window then the alarm will not activate. Another thing to note is if you have a pir set up that is off at night and this does happen then it will be easy picking for the intruder :eek:

Yes, all systems can be set up this way to add on at any stage.

When you buy the HKC panel, you will get a keypad included in the pack. Same with most systems. Sensors need to be bought as extras unless you are buying a pack which has these included. To my knowledge HKC dont do this with the wired system.

As well as comparing companies it us also good to compare panels.
    look at the Astec Fusion and also Siemens SigNET
    http://www.europlex-signet.com/controllers.php
    They are all around the same price,but the SigNET offers more features.
    Better value IMO.

Thanks for that lads, I guess I've to shop around a bit more so.

//Gary

Advertisement